Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mortar guns - any good for patio pointing?

Confession time ... several years ago I laid a 40 sq.m. patio using
600x600 slabs and thought it would be a good idea to fill the 12mm gaps
with pea shingle rather than mortar. History has shown the pea shingle
to be a bad idea so I've finally decided to point the slabs with mortar.

What's the best/fastest pointing method? There seem to be two types of
manual mortar guns, one type is like a mastic gun (with either metal or
plastic nozzles) the other is just a plunger in a tube - are they any good?

Seems to be a debate about sharp or soft sand - advice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 May 2009 10:13:51 +0100, NoSpam
wrote:

Confession time ... several years ago I laid a 40 sq.m. patio using
600x600 slabs and thought it would be a good idea to fill the 12mm gaps
with pea shingle rather than mortar. History has shown the pea shingle
to be a bad idea so I've finally decided to point the slabs with mortar.

What's the best/fastest pointing method? There seem to be two types of
manual mortar guns, one type is like a mastic gun (with either metal or
plastic nozzles) the other is just a plunger in a tube - are they any good?

Seems to be a debate about sharp or soft sand - advice?

Mix the mortar dry and dump onto the flags. Brush out with a broom,
finish with a hand brush and then gently mist coat with a hose pipe to
wet the cement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Confession time ... several years ago I laid a 40 sq.m. patio using
600x600 slabs and thought it would be a good idea to fill the 12mm gaps
with pea shingle rather than mortar. History has shown the pea shingle
to be a bad idea so I've finally decided to point the slabs with mortar.

What's the best/fastest pointing method? There seem to be two types of
manual mortar guns, one type is like a mastic gun (with either metal or
plastic nozzles) the other is just a plunger in a tube - are they any good?

Seems to be a debate about sharp or soft sand - advice?

Mix the mortar dry and dump onto the flags. Brush out with a broom,
finish with a hand brush and then gently mist coat with a hose pipe to
wet the cement.

That was my first thought, but from a quick search on t'web it seems
that it doesn't give as good bonding as wet pointing, hebce the interest
in the mortar guns.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Confession time ... several years ago I laid a 40 sq.m. patio using
600x600 slabs and thought it would be a good idea to fill the 12mm gaps
with pea shingle rather than mortar. History has shown the pea shingle
to be a bad idea so I've finally decided to point the slabs with mortar.

What's the best/fastest pointing method? There seem to be two types of
manual mortar guns, one type is like a mastic gun (with either metal or
plastic nozzles) the other is just a plunger in a tube - are they any good?

Seems to be a debate about sharp or soft sand - advice?

Mix the mortar dry and dump onto the flags. Brush out with a broom,
finish with a hand brush and then gently mist coat with a hose pipe to
wet the cement.

The problem with that is that you get voids, and a mist spray doesn't
add enough water to make the mortar sink. IME better to mix the mortar
just slightly damp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Confession time ... several years ago I laid a 40 sq.m. patio using
600x600 slabs and thought it would be a good idea to fill the 12mm
gaps with pea shingle rather than mortar. History has shown the pea
shingle
to be a bad idea so I've finally decided to point the slabs with
mortar.

What's the best/fastest pointing method? There seem to be two types
of manual mortar guns, one type is like a mastic gun (with either
metal or plastic nozzles) the other is just a plunger in a tube -
are they any good?

Seems to be a debate about sharp or soft sand - advice?

Mix the mortar dry and dump onto the flags. Brush out with a broom,
finish with a hand brush and then gently mist coat with a hose pipe to
wet the cement.

Tomm'y Top Tip off of Groundforce;

'Water' joints with watering can (no rose) on sunny day. Wait till surface
of slab adjacent to joint is dry, then brush in mortar & force down with
brick jointer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Makes sense, but did we get a sunny day last summer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote in message
m...
wrote:

[...]

That's the way to do it......

-

Patch Repair and Pointing Mortar The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 October 30th 08 11:02 PM
Pointing Mortar Mix dicko Home Repair 4 June 1st 08 12:10 AM
Lime Mortar & internal pointing. Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) UK diy 7 April 6th 07 08:53 AM
Thin Mortar for Tuck Pointing [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 11:56 PM
"Pointing " mortar mix and method Psfamilyhistory UK diy 8 July 22nd 04 01:19 PM