DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   small helical spring for letter box (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/277219-small-helical-spring-letter-box.html)

Timothy Murphy[_2_] May 4th 09 10:31 PM

small helical spring for letter box

I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Cash May 4th 09 10:49 PM

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

Possibly buy a cheap letter-plate with a similar design of spring - and
transfer the spring over to the inherited one.

Cash

brass monkey May 4th 09 11:24 PM

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I've used piano-wire or phosphor bronze to make springs if you can find a
cheap source.

geoff May 4th 09 11:47 PM

small helical spring for letter box

In message , brass monkey
writes

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I've used piano-wire or phosphor bronze to make springs if you can find a
cheap source.

Spring from a retractable ball pen ?

--
geoff

Graham.[_3_] May 5th 09 01:01 AM

small helical spring for letter box

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

I once had the oposite problem. I had to reduce the spring
tention of a brass letter-plate before it bit the postman's
hand off.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Dave Plowman (News) May 5th 09 09:57 AM

small helical spring for letter box

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Modify an ordinary coil spring by unwinding part of it? Places like
Screwfix and even Maplin do selection boxes. Or you might be able to buy
just one from an old fashioned hardware store.

--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Stuart Jarvis October 2nd 12 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Murphy[_2_] (Post 2168426)
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Hi,
You can buy these on Amazon.co.uk - just search for Letter Plate spring.