Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default small helical spring for letter box

I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

Possibly buy a cheap letter-plate with a similar design of spring - and
transfer the spring over to the inherited one.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I've used piano-wire or phosphor bronze to make springs if you can find a
cheap source.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , brass monkey
writes

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I've used piano-wire or phosphor bronze to make springs if you can find a
cheap source.

Spring from a retractable ball pen ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

I once had the oposite problem. I had to reduce the spring
tention of a brass letter-plate before it bit the postman's
hand off.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Modify an ordinary coil spring by unwinding part of it? Places like
Screwfix and even Maplin do selection boxes. Or you might be able to buy
just one from an old fashioned hardware store.

--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Murphy[_2_] View Post
I have inherited a rather nice letter box.
However, the flap does not close properly
because the spring which is meant to hold it closed
is broken.

This is a small helical or cylindrical spring on a small rod.
I've looked around at a few hardware stores,
but not seen any such springs on offer.
Is it possible to purchase them on-line somewhere?

Or is there some other way of stopping wind
blowing through the letter box?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Hi,
You can buy these on Amazon.co.uk - just search for Letter Plate spring.

Looking for laaarge letter box or letter slot James Harris[_2_] UK diy 5 November 5th 08 03:26 PM
Small Quantities of spring steel steelsteve Metalworking 2 March 6th 08 07:55 PM
Helical Gears DaveC[_2_] Metalworking 15 January 4th 08 05:48 AM
Small Spring comprestion ideas? HotRod Home Repair 2 July 18th 06 09:55 PM
Distance Between Helical Piers Rob Home Repair 3 January 1st 06 06:54 PM