Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default repairing flat roof garage

if i repaired my leaking flat roof double garage by putting a pitched
roof on - will I necessarily get planning grief? or building control
grief? or both?

thanks
jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and yes.

Planning because you're altering the external appearance, in
particular the roofline.

Building control because you're replacing with a different sort of
structure rather than repairing the existing structure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
if i repaired my leaking flat roof double garage by putting a pitched
roof on - will I necessarily get planning grief? or building control

Planing possibly, possibly not. If you are in a conservation area, or
listed building etc then yes. However you may be ok under permitted
development if its just a bog standard garage.

grief? or both?

Building control; depends on the situation. If its an internal garage
(which sounds unlikely if it has its own roof) then it may come under
BC, but usually garages don't IIRC.

The easiest way be sure is to phone the local authority informally and
ask. Building control departments are usually very easy to talk to and
helpful. The planning department ought to be able to give you an answer
in principle at least.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Apr, 13:53, jim wrote:
if i repaired my leaking flat roof double garage by putting a pitched
roof on - will I necessarily get planning grief? or building control
grief? or both?

On that same topic, what's the deal with a jerry-built shed (1960s
vintage) that's attached to the house and also forms the party wall
(nothing on the neightour's side), where I want to raise the height of
the eaves by another course of blocks to give some headroom and also
to replace the current ugly horizontal corrugated cement boards with a
green roof?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 27 Apr, 14:10, RubberBiker wrote:
Yes and yes.

Planning because you're altering the external appearance, in
particular the roofline.

mmmm but heightwise ought less than 4metres to ridge is allowed
without PP?

Building control because you're replacing with a different sort of
structure rather than repairing the existing structure.

But ISTR if it's less than 30m2 floor (is it still same as old rules?)
building ctrl doesn't apply usually?

OK mine is a bit bigger - what's the odds of being rumbled and how
onerous would it be ? could they *make* me take it down and rebuild it
all to a certain spec - it's only an outbuilding that I wish to
improve the function and life of.....

jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was imagining a garage that was part of the house. John Rumm's
opinion is a good one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:46:18 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

jim wrote:
if i repaired my leaking flat roof double garage by putting a pitched
roof on - will I necessarily get planning grief? or building control

Planing possibly, possibly not. If you are in a conservation area, or
listed building etc then yes. However you may be ok under permitted
development if its just a bog standard garage.

grief? or both?

Building control; depends on the situation. If its an internal garage
(which sounds unlikely if it has its own roof) then it may come under
BC, but usually garages don't IIRC.

The easiest way be sure is to phone the local authority informally and
ask. Building control departments are usually very easy to talk to and
helpful. The planning department ought to be able to give you an answer
in principle at least.

Bewa My father asked the planning department whether he would need
planning permission for an outbuilding (more like a shed really) and
was told no permission was needed. A while later he received a letter
from the council telling him that planning permission was required and
it had been denied! Initially they were demaning that he demolish the
building!

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

jim wrote:
[...]

Did he have the original words from the planning dept on paper?

Sometimes I have seen a suggestion that one gets a notification of *not*
needing PP from the planning dept.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

wrote:

jim wrote:
[...]

mmmm a "plan drawer" was touting a while back that he could get local
council confirmation that a certain scheme would not need PP -
presumably thiswould be written on headed paper! - anyone know the
procedure/name of document?

cheers
Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

jim wrote:
[...]

I can't recall this, unfortunately.

--
(\__/) M.

Repairing a flat roof Jim UK diy 2 May 18th 08 09:43 AM
Insulating flat garage roof Tom UK diy 4 October 3rd 06 05:29 PM
Really flat garage roof David Starr Home Repair 7 April 19th 05 11:00 PM
Repairing Flat Roof John UK diy 1 April 12th 05 07:25 PM
Repairing a garage roof... Gary Home Repair 1 February 14th 04 08:50 PM