Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to put curtainrail

Hi,

Can someone suggest the best place to fix a curtain rail in a room
with a large lintel above the window? SWMBO wants the rail fixed to
the front face of it, which would mean that the curtains would hang
down about 6 inches in front of the wall. I want the rail underneath
the lintel so that the curtains are closer to the wall.

Diagram (side view)

---------+

| - window

+-+

^ wall

TIA, Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

---------+

| - window

+-+

^ wall

TIA, Mark.

On the underside of the lintel to make the curtains close to the lower wall.
Less light intrusion.
A possible alternative is to add a pelmet the front of the lintel to enhance
the effect of the window depth and hide the curtain tops.

Of course, for a really effective solution fit a roller blind with side
guides similar to motorhomes. Stops almost all the light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

---------+

| - window

+-+

^ wall

TIA, Mark.

Are these full length curtains or sill length? .If the latter then
fixing them to the face of the lintel would imho make them look daft .
If floor length then that might be ok but I'd be inclined to fix them
under the lintel so they hang close to the wall or just above the sill
depending on the actual length

--------------
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:28:29 +0100, Mark wrote:

SWMBO wants the rail fixed to the front face of it.....

Clearly you're only posting here, in an attempt to impress us.
Just do what you're told, like the rest of us. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

---------+

| - window

+-+

^ wall

TIA, Mark.

Are these full length curtains or sill length? .If the latter then
fixing them to the face of the lintel would imho make them look daft .
If floor length then that might be ok but I'd be inclined to fix them
under the lintel so they hang close to the wall or just above the sill
depending on the actual length

They're not full length, but would hang down below the sill, but not
too long so as to cover the radiator below then window.

As there is a radiator attached to the wall, the curtains must be as
close to the window as is possible and the bottom of the curtains must
be above the top of the radiator.. If the curtains are below the top of
the radiator and/or some distance away from the window then hot air
rising from the radiator (this is the main way in which heat os
transferred from the radiator into the room) will be trapped between the
curtain and the window rather than going into the room

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

---------+

| - window

+-+

[...]

Agreed, with the exception of one window, where appropriate, I have put
shelves above the radiators to deflect the heat into the rooms rather than
disappearing under the curtain to heat the planet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:36:40 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:28:29 +0100, Mark wrote:

SWMBO wants the rail fixed to the front face of it.....

Clearly you're only posting here, in an attempt to impress us.
Just do what you're told, like the rest of us. :-)

I did in the end since SWMBO bought curtains that were too long. ;-)