Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT BT broad band

I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards

The following link may give you an insight into BTs vision of world
domination. ;-) The home hub does seem a decent piece of kit, though.

http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/busin...o-bt-fon-.html

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:

The home hub does seem a decent piece of kit, though.

What a shame that BT stole the code that they run on the Home Hub.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:31:43 +0100, Howard Neil wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed
(she tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards

The following link may give you an insight into BTs vision of world
domination. ;-) The home hub does seem a decent piece of kit, though.

http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/busin...and-customers-

switch-on-to-bt-fon-.html

I love BT Home hubs (not BT homehub2) they are a source of easy access
internet for anyone with the right software... 8-).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

I presume the "free line" is a VOIP line using the hub... but still
probably ok. The hardware is ok. BT as an ISP are in the mid range
regarding customer support etc.

Is that 12.99 over and above you line rental, or inclusive? If the
latter, its nothing special price wise.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:48:01 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

You mean you pay £12.99 one off for everything? No line or BB rental? Bite
their hand off. B-)

What does "free line thrown in" mean? No installation charge, but you have
a line already... No line rental or line rental included in the £12.99
that also includes BB rental?

The big gotcha is probably that low rental for three months then it
reverts to real line and BB rental rates for the remainder of the your
minimum 12 month contract.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT BT broad band [SPAM]

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not immune
when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

Yes, look at the title of the newsgroup, stop posting off topic rubbish and
go elsewhere. No one is really interested in who telephones you.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed
(she tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

Yes, look at the title of the newsgroup, stop posting off topic
rubbish and go elsewhere. No one is really interested in who
telephones you.

Thats why the OP (a regular and positive contributor to the group, unlike
you) marked the post 'OT' ****wit.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Howard
Neil writes

Tim Lamb wrote:
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(
Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed
(she tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.
Comments?
regards

The following link may give you an insight into BTs vision of world
domination. ;-) The home hub does seem a decent piece of kit, though.

http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/busin...ustomers-switc
h-on-to-bt-fon-.html

Hmm...

I don't own or have any ambition to use a laptop or any other mobile
internet connection. One step back from *home* on my mobile and it is
trying to connect me!

I can understand the concept of diffuse connection but the idea of users
blocking my field gateways because my postcode shows a hub is not
encouraging.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(
Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed
(she tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.
Comments?

I presume the "free line" is a VOIP line using the hub... but still
probably ok. The hardware is ok. BT as an ISP are in the mid range
regarding customer support etc.

Yes.

Is that 12.99 over and above you line rental, or inclusive? If the
latter, its nothing special price wise.

I guess above. I was a little terse as I don't care for pushy mid
evening saleswomen.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:48:01 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

You mean you pay £12.99 one off for everything? No line or BB rental? Bite
their hand off. B-)

I think it is just a short term modest discount off their normal charge.

What does "free line thrown in" mean? No installation charge, but you have
a line already... No line rental or line rental included in the £12.99
that also includes BB rental?

VOIP as others have mentioned. Something in the small print about 8p set
up charge. Apart from Tony B, I don't know anyone in Australia or
elsewhere in the world that I would want to speak to anyway.

The big gotcha is probably that low rental for three months then it
reverts to real line and BB rental rates for the remainder of the your
minimum 12 month contract.

Too right.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote:
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

I presume the "free line" is a VOIP line using the hub... but still
probably ok.

A friend has one of those It's useless. Almost every call results in one end
or the other hearing nothing but noise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not immune
when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

AIUI as you are an existing customer of BT they CAN call you for sales or
any other purpose unless you have specifically asked them not to. I don't
believe that TPS applies if you have a relationship(?) with a company.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The home hub does seem a decent piece of kit, though.

What a shame that BT stole the code that they run on the Home Hub.

Details?

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:48:01 +0100 someone who may be Tim Lamb
wrote this:-

I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

As someone has said, the existing customer exemption. However, if
you told the pushy saleswoman that you no longer wish to be bothered
by their spam telephone calls they should not call you again. When
they do, complain about their illegal activities, though as this is
just one of their many illegal activities it may not make any
difference.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not immune
when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

i'll stick to my Be broadband thanks, £13.50 a month for 8 megs service (i'm
almost 2 miles from my exchange, BT told me i'd be lucky to get 512k from
them, i get 6.7 megs with Be)

if i lived closer to the exchange, i could pay £17.50 a month for upto 24
megs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed
(she tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards

The following link may give you an insight into BTs vision of world
domination. ;-) The home hub does seem a decent piece of kit, though.

http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/busin...and-customers-

switch-on-to-bt-fon-.html

I love BT Home hubs (not BT homehub2) they are a source of easy access
internet for anyone with the right software... 8-).

Ed, you have me worried now. I have just checked that I have the Mk 2
version. What is the problem with them?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Andrews
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not immune
when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

AIUI as you are an existing customer of BT they CAN call you for sales or
any other purpose unless you have specifically asked them not to. I don't
believe that TPS applies if you have a relationship(?) with a company.

Oh. Pity.

I try to find the box to tick for *no adverts* when signing up for
anything nowadays.

regards

Peter

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune
when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed (she
tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

AIUI as you are an existing customer of BT they CAN call you for sales or
any other purpose unless you have specifically asked them not to. I don't
believe that TPS applies if you have a relationship(?) with a company.

Oh. Pity.

Do not despair! If you tell BT that you no longer wish to have marketing or
sales calls from them they are obliged to comply. If they do not then they
are breaking the law.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I discovered this evening that telephone preference numbers are not
immune when it is BT that wants to sell something:-(

Home hub, hundreds of meters range, free line thrown in, 5meg speed
(she tested it) all for 12.99ukp 'cos I'm a loyal customer.

Comments?

regards
The following link may give you an insight into BTs vision of world
domination. ;-) The home hub does seem a decent piece of kit, though.

http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/busin...and-customers-

switch-on-to-bt-fon-.html

I love BT Home hubs (not BT homehub2) they are a source of easy access
internet for anyone with the right software... 8-).

Ed, you have me worried now. I have just checked that I have the Mk 2
version. What is the problem with them?

I don't see them as a problem 8-).

I my experience about 10% of WiFi routers are completely open. Although
only about half of those are connected to the internet. The best
locations are houses converted to flats, short front gardens.
About 40% are lightly encrypted with WEP (40 or 104 bit makes little
difference). About 50% are beyond unauthorized use using WPA encryption
or better. BTHomeHubs account for about 50% of the WEP encrypted WiFis.

1) In some cultures (NY City, I'm told) it is common practice for a large
proportion of people with broadband and Wifi routers to leave them open
so that everyone has easy access to the internet. Whether this will lead
to a whole raft of freeloaders... I dunno.

2) With the right software you can soon (15 mins) get a net connection.
So I can save a day on the Screwfix ordering cycle by ordering at lunch
time instead of when I get home. I doubt very much that the tiny amount
of data I add to my 'victims' net usage will push then over any limits.

3) In return I leave a wifi router lightly encrypted for use by the
technically literate near my house.

4) Having got on to a Wifi network, it should be possible to do some
harm. Many but not all routers still have the default password set up. It
is possible to run software to start having a look at what else is
connected on the WiFi, however I have no interest in gaining access to
other people PCs even if it's possible. I certainly don't want to
interfere with their equipment - it's useful!

If you are unhappy with this situation.
A) Use WPA on the Wifi and a password that uses letters and numbers.
B) Make sure the Broadband router is secured with a good password.
C) Don't run Windoze.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

If you are unhappy with this situation.
A) Use WPA on the Wifi and a password that uses letters and numbers.
B) Make sure the Broadband router is secured with a good password.
C) Don't run Windoze.

d) redirect the dns to your own server.
spoof screwfix's site.
Grab details of hacker.
Play havoc with ed's account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:

I don't see them as a problem 8-).

[snip]
[...]

My SFR broadband box seems to be designed to be set up as a hotspot, but I
haven't got my head round the french instructions about finding other
similar hotspots when I'm out and about.

John

--
John Mulrooney

Where did that tag line go?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:11:18 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

If you are unhappy with this situation. A) Use WPA on the Wifi and a
password that uses letters and numbers. B) Make sure the Broadband
router is secured with a good password. C) Don't run Windoze.

d) redirect the dns to your own server. spoof screwfix's site.
Grab details of hacker.
Play havoc with ed's account.

Having gained net accessI usually do a few sanity checked before
launching into a screwfix order.
1) check out my IP address and the gateway see they are plausible.
2) Have a quick look at the news on google.
3) a quick look at "what's my IP" to check that all seems plausible.

Spoof screwfix's site is a non trivial exercise!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

If you are unhappy with this situation. A) Use WPA on the Wifi and a
password that uses letters and numbers. B) Make sure the Broadband
router is secured with a good password. C) Don't run Windoze.

d) redirect the dns to your own server. spoof screwfix's site.
Grab details of hacker.
Play havoc with ed's account.

Having gained net accessI usually do a few sanity checked before
launching into a screwfix order.
1) check out my IP address and the gateway see they are plausible.
2) Have a quick look at the news on google.
3) a quick look at "what's my IP" to check that all seems plausible.

Spoof screwfix's site is a non trivial exercise!

The technique is to pass most of the request through to the target site and
only peep inside the important bits, like the login.
I believe you can download the code to do this stuff if you don't want to
write it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ed Sirett writes:

1) In some cultures (NY City, I'm told) it is common practice for a large
proportion of people with broadband and Wifi routers to leave them open
so that everyone has easy access to the internet. Whether this will lead
to a whole raft of freeloaders... I dunno.

Was the same around the Menlo Park/Palo Alto/Mountain View/Sunnyvale
area about 4 years ago. May well still be, but I haven't tried it out
recently. I think there are free muninciple schemes in the area too.
All hotels offer it free -- no point in doing anything else. Many of
the tech companies in the area offer it free/unencrypted to the street
outside. It's a way of making it clear to their users it's not secure
(your responsibility to run a VPN or IPsec if you want security), and
making sure they aren't held responsible for the use it's put to,
which they can be if they try securing it and it gets abused.

--
Andrew Gabriel