DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ceramic disk tap - where to get replacement ceramic disc or repair otherwise? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/276528-ceramic-disk-tap-where-get-replacement-ceramic-disc-repair-otherwise.html)

[email protected] April 23rd 09 11:48 AM

Ceramic disk tap - where to get replacement ceramic disc or repair otherwise?

I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Where can one buy either replacement ceramic discs (are they
standard?) or replacement tap innards? I've looked at both Screwfix
and BES but couldn't see anything, maybe I'm not searching for the
right words.

--
Chris Green

Calvin Sambrook April 23rd 09 01:48 PM

wrote in message
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Where can one buy either replacement ceramic discs (are they
standard?) or replacement tap innards? I've looked at both Screwfix
and BES but couldn't see anything, maybe I'm not searching for the
right words.

--
Chris Green

Ring the manufacturer. Preferably the manufacturer of the innards if it is
marked (there are only a few) or less usefully the manufacturer of the whole
tap.

San Marco were super helpful when I needed a replacement.

Bob Mannix April 23rd 09 01:55 PM

wrote in message
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Where can one buy either replacement ceramic discs (are they
standard?) or replacement tap innards? I've looked at both Screwfix
and BES but couldn't see anything, maybe I'm not searching for the
right words.

Google for "ceramic disc cartridge"

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Bob Mannix April 23rd 09 02:04 PM

On 2009-04-23, Bob Mannix wrote:
wrote in message
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Where can one buy either replacement ceramic discs (are they
standard?) or replacement tap innards? I've looked at both Screwfix
and BES but couldn't see anything, maybe I'm not searching for the
right words.

Google for "ceramic disc cartridge"

I just tore the damn thing out and replaced it with a proper tap.

OT. The OP disn't ask what he should do but where he could get the innards
:o)

The Wanderer[_2_] April 23rd 09 03:18 PM

On 23 Apr 2009 10:48:46 GMT, wrote:

I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Where can one buy either replacement ceramic discs (are they
standard?) or replacement tap innards? I've looked at both Screwfix
and BES but couldn't see anything, maybe I'm not searching for the
right words.

Try these

http://www.brev.co.uk/

--
The Wanderer

All wighy, rho sriyched yhe ket pads on my ketboawd?

[email protected] April 23rd 09 05:03 PM

Bob Mannix wrote:
wrote in message
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Where can one buy either replacement ceramic discs (are they
standard?) or replacement tap innards? I've looked at both Screwfix
and BES but couldn't see anything, maybe I'm not searching for the
right words.

Google for "ceramic disc cartridge"

Ah, yes, thanks, that comes up with some good hits. I needed the
"cartridge" bit.

--
Chris Green

[email protected] April 23rd 09 05:05 PM

The Wanderer wrote:
On 23 Apr 2009 10:48:46 GMT, wrote:

I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Where can one buy either replacement ceramic discs (are they
standard?) or replacement tap innards? I've looked at both Screwfix
and BES but couldn't see anything, maybe I'm not searching for the
right words.

Try these

http://www.brev.co.uk/

Wow! :-)

--
Chris Green

The Medway Handyman April 23rd 09 05:53 PM

wrote:
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Nothing standard IME, each one seems different.

Where can one buy either replacement ceramic discs (are they
standard?) or replacement tap innards? I've looked at both Screwfix
and BES but couldn't see anything, maybe I'm not searching for the
right words.

Proper independant plumbers merchants stock them, take the cartridge, tap
head & screw with you. Some have different sized splines & different length
screws.

I did notice some in my local giant B&Q recently, or as others have said
www.brev.co.uk

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

jsabine April 23rd 09 09:28 PM

The Medway Handyman wrote:

wrote:
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen which is just beginning to drip a
little, it's a quarter-turn ceramic disk type. The insides look
pretty standard although I haven't taken it completely apart yet.

Nothing standard IME, each one seems different.

[...]
I did notice some in my local giant B&Q recently, or as others have
said
www.brev.co.uk

Or indeed the incomparabl(e/y badly designed)
http://www.lunns.net/tapspares/tapmate.htm

Oh.

On looking at Brev, we appear to be talking about the same place ...

--

John

Yasmin August 12th 09 08:13 PM

Ceramic disk tap - where to get replacement ceramic disc or repair otherwise?

Hello I have the same problem of dripping kitchen tap with ceramic discs and
quarter turn monobloc mixer tap from screwfix.
Did you get any useful replies as I am at a loss as well.
thanks.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391143395.aspx

The Medway Handyman August 12th 09 09:10 PM

Yasmin wrote:
Hello I have the same problem of dripping kitchen tap with ceramic
discs and quarter turn monobloc mixer tap from screwfix.
Did you get any useful replies as I am at a loss as well.
thanks.

Larger B&Q stores sell them and you might find them here

Grimly Curmudgeon August 12th 09 11:36 PM

Ceramic disk tap - where to get replacement ceramic disc or repair otherwise?

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Hello I have the same problem of dripping kitchen tap with ceramic discs and
quarter turn monobloc mixer tap from screwfix.
Did you get any useful replies as I am at a loss as well.
thanks.

Go into any decent plumbing suppliers and get a replacement spindle
assembly - they're fairly universal. Take the old top half of the tap
with you to check it will fit, to save a double trip.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] August 13th 09 09:19 AM

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:36:15 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Hello I have the same problem of dripping kitchen tap with ceramic

discs and quarter turn monobloc mixer tap

Go into any decent plumbing suppliers and get a replacement spindle
assembly - they're fairly universal. Take the old top half of the tap
with you to check it will fit, to save a double trip.

Agreed any decent plumbers merchant will have the inserts. With the
mono block be aware that you might want a left hand threaded one. The
operating spindle turns in the opposite direction depending on the
side of the tap it is on so that say "top away" is always "on".

--
Cheers
Dave.