Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Meter boxes redux

Some time ago I asked on here about replacing external meter boxes
(housing gas and electricity meters) and was kindly pointed in more or
less the right direction.

We've now been quoted upwards of £300 just to replace the gas box -
the electricity box seems to be in some sort of limbo where neither
eOn nor the other lot will take any responsibility but I imagine the
replacement cost would be similar.

The problem with the meters is mainly cosmetic - the hinges are broken
and one of the doors is smashed. Having spent a great deal of time
and money making the house look nice, it's a shame to let it down with
the meters.

What I'd like to do for each of them is to build a wooden box to fit
outwith the meter box itself. I'll take the catch off the existing
door and put it on the door of the new wooden box so that the engineer
can use the triangular key to access the meter.

Will this be legal? I ask here because I hesitate to spend the next
thirty minutes of my life waiting on the phone in a queue only to be
put through to someone entirely lacking a clue.

Thanks

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr, 17:26, Mike Clarke wrote:
wrote:
The problem with the meters is mainly cosmetic - the hinges are broken
and one of the doors is smashed. *Having spent a great deal of time
and money making the house look nice, it's a shame to let it down with
the meters.

If it's just the door and architrave of a flush box that's damaged you can
get metal "overboxes" to hide them
http://www.meterboxes.co.uk/content/METERBOXESrepairsolutions.asp?Typ...
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/d73qx4

--
Mike Clarke

That looks like it might work very well - I'll definitely check it
out.

Thanks

Edward