Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Size of a soakaway

Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need about 4m2
which gives 7cm3, which sounds too small.

any ideas?

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need about 4m2
which gives 7cm3, which sounds too small.

any ideas?

7cm is about a spoonful so maybe a bit on the small side.
The 50mm times the roof area is correct.
4m² *50mm = 0.2m³

This is for the volume of the void, so it depends on what you are back
filling the soakaway with, how big the hole should be.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need about 4m2
which gives 7cm3, which sounds too small.

any ideas?

Steve

Tell me you're joking, right? A soakaway for 4m2? It's not going to
produce enough water to worry about.

Anyway if you really want to dig a hole try an upturned (clay) flowerpot.
Remember a soakaway is only a buffer to hold the water until it can, guess
what... soak away so you're not going to need to hold very much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 5:10*pm, Steve wrote:
Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need about 4m2
which gives 7cm3, which sounds too small.

any ideas?

www.pavingexpert.com, specifically
http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html

Note that to size a soakaway properly, you need to know how porous
your soil is. Someone living on sand/gravel can just connect a
downpipe into the ground, someone living on heavy clay is going to
need a major piece of engineering to support the required hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need
about 4m2 which gives 7cm3, which sounds too small.

any ideas?

Steve

Anything less than 10m2 doesn't need a soakaway, just dig a small hole,
stack bricks in pairs (with holes in) about 5 high, so ten bricks will do
it.

Cover with a few shovelfuls of gravel and forget about it.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:55:53 GMT, Phil L wrote:

Steve wrote:
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Anything less than 10m2 doesn't need a soakaway, just dig a small hole,
stack bricks in pairs (with holes in) about 5 high, so ten bricks will do
it.

Cover with a few shovelfuls of gravel and forget about it.

Thanks all, I'll throw something simple together.

Its actually more of a precaution, I'm seeing some damp on a party wall
(below dpc below floor level for next doors garage), the downpipe from the
conservatory is right next to the point where it seems to come from, and I
cannot see the bottom of the downpipe so I'm improving dranage just in
case. Presently it flows about 5M away from the downpipe but just
terminates into soil.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need about 4m2
which gives 7cm3, which sounds too small.

any ideas?

Steve

Years ago I remember checking the ground for a soakaway for a septic tank,
it was a bit clayee so the procedure was to dig a 1 metre cube hole in the
ground, fill it with water and check how long it took to drain away, on that
basis it was decided how large the soakaway had to be, it was a very long
time ago and I cannot remember any more detail or where the procedure
information came from but I would imagine that there may be a similar
procedure for surface water soakaways, albeit a larger volume of water to
get rid of.

Cheers
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 5:42*pm, "mark" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need about 4m2
which gives 7cm3, which sounds too small.

any ideas?

7cm *is about a spoonful so maybe a bit on the small side.
The 50mm times the roof area is correct.
4m² *50mm = 0.2m³

So the soakaway needs to hold the water from the roof when 50mm of
rain falls in one downpour.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need about 4m2

Do you really mean 4m^2, as in 2m x 2m?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Apr 14, 5:42 pm, "mark" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

Anyone have any idea of a formula to use constructing a soakaway?

Googling around gave:

Vol(m3) = Area to drain(m2) × (rainfall rate(assumed 50mm/hr)/3000)

Which in the example gave 60m2 needing 1m3 size, but I only need about
4m2
which gives 7cm3, which sounds too small.

any ideas?

7cm is about a spoonful so maybe a bit on the small side.
The 50mm times the roof area is correct.
4m² *50mm = 0.2m³

So the soakaway needs to hold the water from the roof when 50mm of
rain falls in one downpour.

Yes, but 50mm is quite extreme.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:47:10 +0100, Steve wrote:

Its actually more of a precaution, I'm seeing some damp on a party wall
(below dpc below floor level for next doors garage), the downpipe from
the conservatory is right next to the point where it seems to come from,
and I cannot see the bottom of the downpipe so I'm improving dranage
just in case. Presently it flows about 5M away from the downpipe but
just terminates into soil.

When I built our conservatory I needed a soakaway for the 5mx3m roof.
Without knowing the calculations, and knowing that we wanted a 12" gravel
border all round it, I improvised.

The 5m border of the conservatory furthest from the house was dug out to
about 24" deep, 12" wide all the way along (done while we had a local by-
the-hour mini digger in to do the foundation pads for the steel suspended
floor).

Then I lined it with landscaping fabric, 20" of cheap coarse gravel/small
stones, another layer of landscaping fabric then 4" of decorative gravel.
The two downspouts from the conservatory roof just go onto the top.

I was worried it might silt up over time but it's been there about 10
years now with no problems at all.

Soakaway [email protected] UK diy 1 February 10th 09 04:30 PM
Soakaway systems Roberts UK diy 0 September 21st 08 04:13 AM
Basic soakaway Franko UK diy 1 August 27th 07 11:29 PM
Geotextile for soakaway? [email protected] UK diy 4 March 11th 07 01:01 PM
soakaway Neil UK diy 2 November 26th 05 04:53 PM