Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power shower pump question

My old (at least 8 years - bought as a kit from Texas, now Homebase) power
shower pump has given up the ghost, and I am in the market for a new one.
Brief research suggests that my options include a dual impeller 1.5bar pump
or a dual impeller 2bar pump. The difference is about £50. The labels
suggest that the 2bar pump is for a bathroom and en suite bedroom shower.
The old one was 1.5 bar, (and plastic throughout) but I fancy a bigger
shower head. Is it worth shelling out the extra for a 2bar pump? The old one
worked fine with a smaller (3 inch) head.

Also - I notice that some pumps are plastic, with plastic screw fittings. Is
it worth buying the brass fitting versions (usually at least £20 extra).

I will not be using any en-suite shower. This is just for a single bathroom
power shower (but I want it to be good!)

Any suggestions welcomed.

--

John (previously John E)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's really not a bad life for an ordinary shed pump. After getting
through two or three of these in ten years or so I just went for a proper
all-brass Stuart Turner. Much quieter, and loads of oomph. I think mine is a
3 bar, but I've wound the revs down a little with a thyristor. If the 1.5
bar was only OK with a smaller head and you want to go up in size I'd go for
2 bar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:06:07 +0100, newshound wrote:

That's really not a bad life for an ordinary shed pump. After getting
through two or three of these in ten years or so I just went for a proper
all-brass Stuart Turner. Much quieter, and loads of oomph. I think mine is a
3 bar, but I've wound the revs down a little with a thyristor. If the 1.5
bar was only OK with a smaller head and you want to go up in size I'd go for
2 bar.

Alternatively for a much nicer pump for shed-like prices I like the
Salamanders that Screwfix do (or did - I haven't looked recently) for £100.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJK PJK is offline

YAPH wrote:

Alternatively for a much nicer pump for shed-like prices I like the
Salamanders that Screwfix do (or did - I haven't looked recently) for £100.

Agreed, when my second New Team packed up I replaced it with the
Salamander from Screwfix and its a much superior piece of equipment,
quiet and reliable.

Peter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:06:07 +0100, newshound wrote:

That's really not a bad life for an ordinary shed pump. After getting
through two or three of these in ten years or so I just went for a proper
all-brass Stuart Turner. Much quieter, and loads of oomph. I think mine
is a
3 bar, but I've wound the revs down a little with a thyristor. If the 1.5
bar was only OK with a smaller head and you want to go up in size I'd go
for
2 bar.

Alternatively for a much nicer pump for shed-like prices I like the
Salamanders that Screwfix do (or did - I haven't looked recently) for
£100.

These are the standard pumps offered by B&Q although they cost a bit more
now.

--

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, maybe I should have mentioned that we hope to move in the next two
years. I went for a grundfos Watermill Nile 1.5 Bar Twin Impeller Positive
Head Regenerative Shower Pump - PWGR0029 £137.97 at Plumbworld.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/grundfos...-15-2389-18704

It claims to be quiet, has a two year guarantee (!) and is a lot cheaper
than those wonderful-looking Stuart Turner pumps. It also has the option of
15mm pipework, which I have.

Anyway, thanks to each and everyone who replied to this post.

--

John