Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default capping chimneys (bump)

just a thought about my last post.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....4640993?hl=en#
If I cap my disused chimneys with lead (actually they already are) but
sort of squeeze in a length of rigid hosepipe (a bit like Elvis used
to do) and sort of *clingfilm* it in with the lead which is fairly
malleable as well as being unlkely to blow off -would that provide
enough ventilation?
One end of the hosepipe (about 1 foot in length would be in the
chimney pot and the other would be on the outside of the pot .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mary coughed up some electrons that declared:

just a thought about my last post.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....4640993?hl=en#
If I cap my disused chimneys with lead (actually they already are) but
sort of squeeze in a length of rigid hosepipe (a bit like Elvis used
to do) and sort of *clingfilm* it in with the lead which is fairly
malleable as well as being unlkely to blow off -would that provide
enough ventilation?
One end of the hosepipe (about 1 foot in length would be in the
chimney pot and the other would be on the outside of the pot .

I don't think 1/2" hosepipe is really enough.

2" waste pipe or pond hose might be better, but I feel even that is
borderline.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't think 1/2" hosepipe is really enough.

Agreed. A typical flue vent has 10+ holes each around 25mm diameter.
See eg
http://www.wtknowles.co.uk/products/...ubcategoryID=4

2" waste pipe or pond hose might be better, but I feel even that is
borderline.

I'm a numpty on chimneys (and most everything else) but, having "been
here" lately, wonder if a 2" pipe might look like nesting heaven to a
range of local wildlife?

If there are lead cappings in place, and they have been there some time
without blowing away, do they already provide some ventilation simply by
not sitting flat all the way around?

One way to check that might be to check the draught from the fireplaces.
But I'll not recommend a smoke tablet to test that (especially not if
you have guests in the house).

PS
Are the photos here http://www.crocnaraw.co.uk/Moyard-Irlande.html
right? So we are talking not about 5 or 6 flues but 5 or 6 *stacks*
gulp?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S writes:
mary coughed up some electrons that declared:

just a thought about my last post.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....4640993?hl=en#
If I cap my disused chimneys with lead (actually they already are) but
sort of squeeze in a length of rigid hosepipe (a bit like Elvis used
to do) and sort of *clingfilm* it in with the lead which is fairly
malleable as well as being unlkely to blow off -would that provide
enough ventilation?
One end of the hosepipe (about 1 foot in length would be in the
chimney pot and the other would be on the outside of the pot .

I don't think 1/2" hosepipe is really enough.

2" waste pipe or pond hose might be better, but I feel even that is
borderline.

As I mentioned in the earlier thread, I cut a half-brick sized
vent at the top. I was concerned that might be too small, but it
seems to be OK. Wouldn't want to go much smaller though. Didn't
go any larger incase it affected stability of the chimney.
Bottom vent is a full brick (to the outdoors).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

See eghttp://www.wtknowles.co.uk/products/default.asp?categoryID=1&subcateg...

[...]

yes those are the right photos,There are 5 pots sticking out of the
top of the far right ^stack*
I think there are 3 stacks (not quite sure what stack means...)There
are 2 white marks on the left of photo that look like chimney stacks
but are just paint or reflections
One stack has 5 pots ,another has 3 and another has 2.. On the largest
stack with 5 potsthe farthest pot has been cemented (I am afraid to
go near it as it is a bit precipitous) and 2 of the others serve 2
downstairs rooms.
So 2 others are a mystery as there are only 2 bedrooms they might
have served and it seems too big a job to investigate where all the
firerplaces were in the past
I might try and loosen some of the lead cappings and maybe raise them
up a half inch with a bit of putty maybe (trim the overhang a bit
also?)
Hopefully the weight and aerodynamics of the lead caps would prevent
them flying off in a storm .
(I have emailed a few local chimney firms to see if they know where I
can buy a commercial 13" cap but no reply as yet)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think there are 3 stacks (not quite sure what stack means...)There
are 2 white marks on the left of photo that look like chimney stacks
but are just paint or reflections

Thanks for clarifying that.

(I have emailed a few local chimney firms to see if they know where I
can buy a commercial 13" cap but no reply as yet)

Belated question. Is it definitely 13" *internal* diameter at the top
of the pots?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Apr, 11:50, "neverwas" wrote:
I think there are 3 stacks (not quite sure what stack means...)There
are 2 white marks on the left of photo that look like chimney stacks
but are just paint or reflections

Thanks for clarifying that.

(I have emailed a few local chimney firms to see if they know where I
can buy a commercial 13" cap but no reply as yet)

Belated question. *Is it definitely 13" *internal* diameter at the top
of the pots?

--
Robin

I am pretty sure it is 13" -but external (I didn't realise those
measurements were normally internal) So without remeasuring I guess
that would make it 12" internal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am pretty sure it is 13" -but external (I didn't realise those
measurements were normally internal) So without remeasuring I guess
that would make it 12" internal.

I don't know if there is a convention as such on that. From browsing a
few catalogues last year, most modern pots seem to be classed by their
use (solid fuel, 125mm flue, etc) and by their height.

But the catalogues do give both internal and external measurements.
They suggest 13" external is possibly (very probably?) a lot less than
12" internal. Even the pots on our little Victorian terrace had walls
over 1" thick. Modern pots (eg Red Bank) are often 2~3" smaller inside
than out (more for some bigger pots).

So I thought it worth asking in case someone who really knows about this
stuff can advise you better.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

just remeasured and is is 11" internal (still 13" external)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk..../cd1317e924640
993?hl=en#
If I cap my disused chimneys with lead (actually they already are) but
sort of squeeze in a length of rigid hosepipe (a bit like Elvis used
to do) and sort of *clingfilm* it in with the lead which is fairly
malleable as well as being unlkely to blow off -would that provide
enough ventilation?
One end of the hosepipe (about 1 foot in length would be in the
chimney pot and the other would be on the outside of the pot .

I would suggest you would be better fitting elephants foot caps, they will
keep the stack ventilated but keep birds and water out.
If ever the need arises to open up the fireplace at a later date you only
have to lift off the cap.
They are listed as Flue Ventilator on this URL
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_b...-and-Inserts.h
tml
but much cheaper from a builders merchant

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mary wrote:
just remeasured and is is 11" internal (still 13" external)

I think that is too big for the run-of-the-mill spigot flue vents. But
I recalled at least some manufacturers made bigger ones and found Red
Bank list one with a 235mm spigot and 325mm overall width. See item 120
on
http://www.heidelbergcement.com/NR/r..._tech_spec.pdf.
I can't tell from that if the holes would be covered by the pots or not.
But a local supplier (or Hanson's own technical support) might be able
to tell you. May not be cheap though (unless lots of pots are so big in
Connemara).

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

onhttp://www.heidelbergcement.com/NR/rdonlyres/DFF876CE-73FF-4F1E-8323-.....
I can't tell from that if the holes would be covered by the pots or not.
But a local supplier (or Hanson's own technical support) might be able
to tell you. *May not be cheap though (unless lots of pots are so big in
Connemara).

--
Robin

thanks for that.I think I will give a ring to the main hardware shops
in Galway City ......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mary wrote:
just a thought about my last post.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....4640993?hl=en#
If I cap my disused chimneys with lead (actually they already are) but
sort of squeeze in a length of rigid hosepipe (a bit like Elvis used
to do) and sort of *clingfilm* it in with the lead which is fairly
malleable as well as being unlkely to blow off -would that provide
enough ventilation?
One end of the hosepipe (about 1 foot in length would be in the
chimney pot and the other would be on the outside of the pot .

This is a waste of time and will look dreadful.

Remove all the lead and remove half a brick from opposite sides of the
chimney.
lay a flagstone or slate in cement over the perimeter of the brickwork.
If you use slate, you will need to add somemore weight on top, two bricks
with cement inbetween wil be heavy enough.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

capping chimneys mary UK diy 18 April 11th 09 08:30 PM
Chimneys.. again. Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 22 March 8th 09 10:24 AM
cheap bump proof locks? peter Home Repair 3 July 14th 07 01:48 AM
Carpet has a wave bump now? [email protected] Home Repair 13 July 1st 07 04:29 PM
bump n go robot help? trigon Electronics Repair 6 May 12th 06 05:20 AM