Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fencing

Today's orders are to sort out treating our year-old front fence. This
is because she has met and chatted to a neighbour who was
creosote-subtituting his. Our fence is on a curve and stands out as you
enter the road.

Our fence is tanalised and has bits of decorative latticey stuff on top,
and is starting to discolour where the pigeons sit and at the bottom
where the rain and slush bounces off the pavement. Some of the
decorative stuff looks a bit manky and has some of the common-on-fences
round here green layer growing on it.

She wants to retain the light colour, so I assume we want "golden brown"
or something. I poked around on the 'net and it looks like I should
apply some oil-based treatment.

Went to Wickes, tore a corner off a brochure, dipped it in the "light
brown" creosub and painted an inch or two of their white shelf. Thought
Hmmm, can use it anyway and bought it. Back home tried a bit on the
hidden back fence and it is almost black, so I think this is a
non-starter.

So, what should I try to get? I do agree with her that the tanilised
finish, which will gradually fade to grey, is not what we want.
Neighbour's dark creosub fence looks great.

The Wickes colour chart and their web site says nothing about whether
products are oil or water based. The best stuff I ever used was real
creosote years ago. You could really smell it killing everything within
yards.

Why do I always end up writing a small novel?
--
Bill

fencing [email protected] UK diy 5 December 11th 06 10:37 AM
FAQ on fencing anywhere? Mike Barnard UK diy 5 September 20th 06 05:57 PM
Snow fencing pj Home Ownership 1 November 21st 05 02:56 PM
Fencing Bob Smith UK diy 4 January 9th 04 10:10 AM
fencing Mindwipe UK diy 12 October 31st 03 09:20 AM