Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ƒµç«îñ© Paintpods

OK, I admit that I hadn't encountered one of these before, so when my
eldest child called and asked for help decorating the new house I should
have flinched when she said - "Someone lent us a Paintpod so we can get
it done quickly."

I wandered to B&Q to buy some paint. Where I had my first shock. A five
litre pot of paint is £30. HFM? The "Paintpod" itself is £50 and to use
it for ceilings you have to pay extra.

I stared at the stuff, consulted with the decorating expert (my wife),
uttered "stuff that" and bought Proper Paint at £18 for ten litres. Back
at the house wife and I got to work and finished two rooms in three days
- woodwork rubbed down, undercoated, glossed, walls and ceiling painted,
furniture moved in. Daughter's other half took on the living room with
the paintpod which we were assured was cleaner, faster, etc.

In the same time he didn't manage to finish painting the ceiling. The
paintpod was a total farce, he went through two of them in that time and
the ceiling took three coats which are still nowhere near as good as the
finish we got with a one-coat paint elsewhere.

So, did the couple learn from this experience? Hmm well we had friends
visiting who ooh'ed and aah'ed over the finish in the completed rooms
and then spotted "the paintpod" in the kitchen and gushed "oh you have
one of those" and daughter immediately said yes it was fast and clean to
use. Omitting the details of the numerous breakdowns, cloggages, failure
to complete the job or that the much admired rooms were done the
old-fashioned way. sigh

I can't get the hang of young people.

Anyway if a moment of insanity grips you and you consider buying a
paintpod, don't. Just don't. It's a piece of crap, oh and it's noisy
crap too. One of the things I like about decorating is that it's
generally peaceful with time to think and admire a good job well done.
The paint pod rumbles, clanks and clatters and one can hardly hear
oneself think over it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fµç«îñ© Paintpods

In message
(Steve Firth) wrote:

Anyway if a moment of insanity grips you and you consider buying a
paintpod, don't. Just don't. It's a piece of crap, oh and it's noisy
crap too. One of the things I like about decorating is that it's
generally peaceful with time to think and admire a good job well done.
The paint pod rumbles, clanks and clatters and one can hardly hear
oneself think over it.

Always wondered how usefull one of these paintpods might be, however
after reading this I'll keep with the old fashioned method of applying
paint.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In message
(Steve Firth) wrote:

Anyway if a moment of insanity grips you and you consider buying a
paintpod, don't. Just don't. It's a piece of crap, oh and it's noisy
crap too. One of the things I like about decorating is that it's
generally peaceful with time to think and admire a good job well done.
The paint pod rumbles, clanks and clatters and one can hardly hear
oneself think over it.

Always wondered how usefull one of these paintpods might be, however
after reading this I'll keep with the old fashioned method of applying
paint.

I would. One of the points that the advertising doesn't mention is that
the roller is smaller than usual - more strokes needed to apply the
paint *and* the cover over the roller means that you can't get it close
to the walls - more cutting in required which involves gymnastics with
the tiny little paint pot and the stupid triangular brush.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Apr, 20:53, (Steve Firth) wrote:
[...]
the cover over the roller means that you can't get it close
to the walls - more cutting in required which involves gymnastics with
the tiny little paint pot and the stupid triangular brush.

Do you *have* to use *their* brush - can't you use one of your own?
I'm unfamiliar with the PaintPod system. However, slightly OT, I
continue to use a wallpaper pasting machine and that SERIOUSLY cuts
down the time when hanging paper (I wouldn't use it for the most
expensive papers, but it's ideal for lining) plus you get perfect
coverage.

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Interesting I was tempted, I was also tempted by one of those rollers they
advertise on TV that you fill with paint, but I wondered whether they would
be too heavy and difficult to use due to the wieght of the paint held in the
roller
have you/anyone tried one of those ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Apr, 17:49, (Steve Firth) wrote:
OK, I admit that I hadn't encountered one of these before,

Didn't the basic idea first appear around 1982?

....and they were rubbish back then too, but at least (AFAIR) you could
pour normally-priced paint in the top.