Junior Member

Default What type of extractor fan to install in bathroom

My bathroom has some damp on the wall and I suspect this is due to inadequate ventilation, despite the small window.

There seem to be so many types of extractor fans........
Ones that go in the glass in the window, ones that you install in the exterior wall, ones that lead into the attic....etc etc.
Which one do you think is best suited for a heavily used bathroom with a small window? Anyone had any success with just an airbrick or a cover. I was thinking of paying someone to cut a small hole in my wall. As yet, I have no idea of prices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

butterfly wrote:
My bathroom has some damp on the wall and I suspect this is due to
inadequate ventilation, despite the small window.

There seem to be so many types of extractor fans........
Ones that go in the glass in the window, ones that you install in the
exterior wall, ones that lead into the attic....etc etc.
Which one do you think is best suited for a heavily used bathroom with
a small window? Anyone had any success with just an airbrick or a
cover. I was thinking of paying someone to cut a small hole in my wall.
As yet, I have no idea of prices.

If your bathroom has an attic above it might be easiest to fit a ceiling
fan and duct it out via the soffit. Check there is enough of a gap
beween the wall and the underside of the roof to allow ducting through.

Fan should be capable of about 5 air changes per hour I believe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Apr, 22:27, Invisible Man wrote:
butterfly wrote:
My bathroom has some damp on the wall and I suspect this is due to
inadequate ventilation, despite the small window.

There seem to be so many types of extractor fans........
Ones that go in the glass in the window, ones that you install in the
exterior wall, ones that lead into the attic....etc etc.
Which one do you think is best suited for a heavily used bathroom with
a small window? Anyone had any success with just an airbrick or a
cover. I was thinking of paying someone to cut a small hole in my wall.
As yet, I *have no idea of prices.

If your bathroom has an attic above it might be easiest to fit a ceiling
fan and duct it out via the soffit. Check there is enough of a gap
beween the wall and the underside of the roof to allow ducting through.

Fan should be capable of about 5 air changes per hour I believe.

Whatever installation you go for, I would recommend, particularly as
you have a dampness problem, getting a n extractor that is triggered
by the humidity in the room - it has a humidistat. As an addition
make sure it also has a pull cord so that it can be switched on to
evacuate smells.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob G wrote on 02/04/2009 :
- it has a humidistat. As an addition
make sure it also has a pull cord so that it can be switched on to
evacuate smells.

One fitted with both a humidistat and a PIR (to detect people) would
take care of both functions automatically.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Rob
G writes
butterfly wrote:
[...]

Yup, that is what I had in our old bathroom, loft mounted fan, venting
via a pipe through the roof, separate humidistat and pull switch.

Yes, you lose some performance using a fan venting through pipe, but as
long as you allow for that, and the resulting performance is sufficient,
then that's not a problem.

As for which type, it doesn't really matter, which ever your feel best
fits in your bathroom, will be easiest to install, will be most
aesthetically pleasing etc. Though I'd avoid a window fitting one if
possible, as I think they look ugly, and if the window is small will
reduce the natural light.

As to the airbrick idea, no I'd not think it was sufficient. Esp with a
shower. In the bathroom as mentioned above before we redid it it had an
airbrick for ventilation. it was damp, mould on the grout etc. Once
redone,with fanned ventilation we never ever had such a problem
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"butterfly" wrote

My bathroom has some damp on the wall and I suspect this is due to
inadequate ventilation, despite the small window.

There seem to be so many types of extractor fans........
Ones that go in the glass in the window, ones that you install in the
exterior wall, ones that lead into the attic....etc etc.
Which one do you think is best suited for a heavily used bathroom with
a small window? Anyone had any success with just an airbrick or a
cover. I was thinking of paying someone to cut a small hole in my wall.
As yet, I have no idea of prices.

Look at VentAxia web site http://www.ventaxia.com/ under knowledge centre
this will give you a good start.
Avoid the concertina style duct as far as possible - you will see from
VentAxia (if you look deep enough) that this stuff derates a fan by at least
50% in air flow terms. This is also made clear, in the small print, on the
packaging of some of the shed fans supplied with the stuff.
Personally I would not fit anything other than VentAxia or Xpelair. There
is a reason why councils fit these makes - they last.
The last one I bought was an Xpelair wall mounted jobbie - cost £60 IIRC.
Yes you could by a shed animal that looks similar(ish) for around £20 but
the Xpelair came with a five year total replacement warantee.

VERY strongly recommend that you don't buy cheap when it comes to fans! You
will regret it when you have to replace them every 2 years or so.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster expressed precisely :
Personally I would not fit anything other than VentAxia or Xpelair. There is
a reason why councils fit these makes - they last.
The last one I bought was an Xpelair wall mounted jobbie - cost £60 IIRC.
Yes you could by a shed animal that looks similar(ish) for around £20 but the
Xpelair came with a five year total replacement warantee.

VERY strongly recommend that you don't buy cheap when it comes to fans! You
will regret it when you have to replace them every 2 years or so.

You pay a premium for the name, there are other equally good fans
without paying for the name, but I do agree there are some rubbish ones
around.

PIR Bathroom Extractor Fan Shay UK diy 0 May 10th 07 09:34 PM
Bathroom extractor fan [email protected] UK diy 5 November 4th 06 06:46 PM
bathroom extractor fan [email protected] UK diy 2 October 12th 06 12:57 PM
Extractor fan in bathroom. klkbloke UK diy 25 August 30th 06 10:35 AM
Bathroom extractor Alec UK diy 1 February 25th 06 11:54 AM