Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Easy guide to parking a car?

I've got a short drive & my new car just fits. To save having to inch
up to the front wall of the house without bumping the car I'm trying
to find an accurate ‘tactile’ way of marking it, without attaching
something to the front of the house. (A visual mark never quite seems
to work quickly).

The drive is made of drab crazy paving (to be replaced)). I'd thought
of something like trying to screw / stick a broom handle onto the
drive for the front wheels to butt up to (… not attractive, but not
really visible when the cars there. I'm hoping some bright spark's
got a better way.

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:55:19 -0700, michaeld121 wrote:
I've got a short drive & my new car just fits.

You just reminded me of them driving the Minis into the bus in the Italian
Job :-)

To save having to inch
up to the front wall of the house without bumping the car I'm trying to
find an accurate €˜tactile way of marking it, without attaching
something to the front of the house.

If it's just for the one car, maybe buying one of those after-market
electronic parking sensors that fit to the car might be an idea? (might be
overkill, actually, because it sounds like you just need one sensor in the
middle of the bumper, rather than several front/rear)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Strip of rubber sheet or carpet attached to wall and park by touch?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
wrote:
I've got a short drive & my new car just fits. To save having to
inch up to the front wall of the house without bumping the car I'm
trying to find an accurate ‘tactile’ way of marking it, without
attaching something to the front of the house. (A visual mark never
quite seems to work quickly).

The drive is made of drab crazy paving (to be replaced)). I'd
thought of something like trying to screw / stick a broom handle
onto the drive for the front wheels to butt up to (… not
attractive, but not really visible when the cars there. I'm hoping
some bright spark's got a better way.

Michael

Piece of string hanging from a hook on the wall - with a weight. Can
be fine enough to be barely visible to anyone who doesn't know it is
there. Slight nudge with car is obvious.

Many years ago I used to visit the Ford plant at Dagenham. Can't recall
exactly why, but when the finished cars were driven off the end of the line
some of them had to stop for a few seconds in a certain place, then move on.

The engineers considered photo cells, limit switches etc. One of the
fitters solved the problem by hanging a tennis ball on a piece of string
above the spot. When the ball touched the windscreen the driver stopped.
Total cost about 20p!

Been there done that in a short garage. Not quite so suitable for a
driveway. Currently have a garden cane in narrow flowerbed between end
of drive and house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:21:58 +0100, Invisible Man wrote:

The engineers considered photo cells, limit switches etc. One of the
fitters solved the problem by hanging a tennis ball on a piece of string
above the spot. When the ball touched the windscreen the driver stopped.
Total cost about 20p!

Been there done that in a short garage. Not quite so suitable for a
driveway. Currently have a garden cane in narrow flowerbed between end
of drive and house.

Tennis ball would be blown about by the wind, so combine 2 suggestions:
hang the house brick...
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a short drive & my new car just fits. To save having to inch
up to the front wall of the house without bumping the car I'm trying
to find an accurate ‘tactile’ way of marking it, without attaching
something to the front of the house. (A visual mark never quite seems
to work quickly).

The drive is made of drab crazy paving (to be replaced)). I'd thought
of something like trying to screw / stick a broom handle onto the
drive for the front wheels to butt up to (… not attractive, but not
really visible when the cars there. I'm hoping some bright spark's
got a better way.

Michael

I'll park it for you.
--
Reg.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I've got a short drive & my new car just fits. To save having to inch
up to the front wall of the house without bumping the car I'm trying
to find an accurate ‘tactile’ way of marking it, without attaching
something to the front of the house. (A visual mark never quite seems
to work quickly).

The drive is made of drab crazy paving (to be replaced)). I'd thought
of something like trying to screw / stick a broom handle onto the
drive for the front wheels to butt up to (… not attractive, but not
really visible when the cars there. I'm hoping some bright spark's
got a better way.

Michael

How about parking it where you want it, then kicking a housebrick in front
of a front wheel?
Next time, just inch up to the housebrick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
wrote in message

I've got a short drive & my new car just fits. To save having to inch
up to the front wall of the house without bumping the car I'm trying
to find an accurate ‘tactile’ way of marking it, without attaching
something to the front of the house. (A visual mark never quite seems
to work quickly).

The drive is made of drab crazy paving (to be replaced)). I'd thought
of something like trying to screw / stick a broom handle onto the
drive for the front wheels to butt up to (… not attractive, but not
really visible when the cars there. I'm hoping some bright spark's
got a better way.

Michael

How about parking it where you want it, then kicking a housebrick in
front of a front wheel?
Next time, just inch up to the housebrick.

I would also suggest the house brick method is a good one and one I have
used myself for years.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonah formulated on Sunday :
I would also suggest the house brick method is a good one and one I have used
myself for years.

HTH

except loose objects tend to move or even be moved and could be a trip
hazard in the dark.

When parking in a really tight spot, so tight that I have to get out to
check space, I set myself a marker on the ground by the side of the
open drivers door - anything works, pen pebble, discarded cigarette
packet just as a reference point.

The same trick could be used to solve your problem...

Park in the correct spot, open your door, look down and find a point on
the door sill and make a temporary mark on the ground to line up with
it. Now make the temporary mark on the ground a more permanent one -
drill and fix a screw, chisel a mark, or mark it with an angle grinder.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

Park in the correct spot, open your door, look down and find a point on
the door sill and make a temporary mark on the ground to line up with it.
Now make the temporary mark on the ground a more permanent one - drill and
fix a screw, chisel a mark, or mark it with an angle grinder.

I am disappointed that this thread attracted so many replies before an angle
grinder was suggested.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rrh wrote:
Park in the correct spot, open your door, look down and find
a point on the door sill and make a temporary mark on the
ground to line up with it. Now make the temporary mark on the
ground a more permanent one - drill and fix a screw, chisel a
mark, or mark it with an angle grinder.

I am disappointed that this thread attracted so many replies
before an angle grinder was suggested.

My thoughts also. And Saniflo's weren't even mentioned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Jonah formulated on Sunday :
[...]

Don't forget that you'll need a cranium bracket to minimise parallax errors.

i'll get me coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:24:34 +0100, brass monkey wrote:
Don't forget that you'll need a cranium bracket to minimise parallax errors.

Simply glue a drawing pin upside-down to the end of your nose and use it
for aiming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:39:38 +0100, "Jonah" wrote:

brass monkey wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Got a 8ft of 2x4 on the hard standing. Just before the 18ins drop into
the yard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
wrote in message

I've got a short drive & my new car just fits. To save having to inch
up to the front wall of the house without bumping the car I'm trying
to find an accurate 'tactile' way of marking it, without attaching
something to the front of the house. (A visual mark never quite seems
to work quickly).

How about parking it where you want it, then kicking a housebrick in
front of a front wheel?
Next time, just inch up to the housebrick.

I would also suggest the house brick method is a good one and one I have
used myself for years.

Somebody somewhere must have found the flaw in that method when first
bringing home a shiny new car. And on waiting for the reassurance of
the parking block found the new car was longer than the old as it
rebounded off the wall.

G.Harman

Please confirm that you're extracting the urine ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all of the replies. There are several main ones:

1. Tennis ball / bit of string: I remember seeing that one in an old
‘How’ annual when I was a kid. Thing is - it's a drive, not a garage,
so there's nothing to attach a tennis ball to. The string would
(IIUC) would cause problems for anyone going into the house.

2. Using a visual marker. I've tried that, but small variations in
the way you approach the drive or how you're sitting in the seat mean
that it doesn't really work reliably.

3. Electronic sensor: I’d need it to be accurate to within an inch or
2. My understanding is that they’re not normally quite that
accurate. It’s also expensive.

4. The housebrick is one I'd thought of. 2 points - i) It would
move, unless attached ii) I might not always hit the brick (there’s
enough width on the drive to miss it).

I'm thinking that a variant of 4 is probably the best idea - namely a
thinish tree stake stuck (glued &/or screwed) to the drive.

Michael

Maple Story Guide: ^_^---Victor's guide on how to roll perfect stats---^_^ [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 26th 07 09:33 AM
Maple Story Guide: ^_^---Victor's guide on how to roll perfect stats---^_^ [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 26th 07 09:31 AM
Parking Pad Jim Home Repair 9 August 12th 06 08:19 PM
OT. Parking David Lang UK diy 74 May 30th 05 05:56 PM
preventing parking markzoom UK diy 78 April 21st 05 09:57 PM