DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tracing mains water pipe in ground ?? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/274048-tracing-mains-water-pipe-ground.html)

gray March 22nd 09 08:58 AM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

What the best (but cheapest) way of tracing a mains water pipe in the
ground on private property.

Is ther any thing I can buy, relatively cheaply ??

Andrew Mawson March 22nd 09 09:12 AM

"gray" wrote in message
What the best (but cheapest) way of tracing a mains water pipe in

the
ground on private property.

Is ther any thing I can buy, relatively cheaply ??

If plastic it's not easy - if lead or galv barrel then normal metal
detecting techniques.

If you set a mains tap to be running so it is just cracked open and
'hissing' it is possible, with a steel probe, to hear the hiss along
the pipe for quite a distance. The method is to press the probe into
the ground and rest your ear against the upper end - don't get carried
away and bang the probe through the pipe!

If you have access to one end of the pipe you can insert a stiff wire
and use a C-Scope or similar cable detector with the 33kHz genny
connected to the wire

AWEM

Vortex3 March 22nd 09 11:38 AM

"gray" wrote in message
What the best (but cheapest) way of tracing a mains water pipe in the
ground on private property.

Is ther any thing I can buy, relatively cheaply ??

Dowsing rods like ebay item 250390401499. Look it up, read the words.

[You may need to grow a beard first] :-)

Seriously my gut reaction is that dowsing is complete horse****....but I
know a couple of people who swear by it. Perhaps you have a chance to
prove/disprove the technology.

Bruce[_4_] March 22nd 09 11:53 AM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

"Vortex3" wrote:
"gray" wrote in message
.. .
What the best (but cheapest) way of tracing a mains water pipe in the
ground on private property.

Is ther any thing I can buy, relatively cheaply ??

Dowsing rods like ebay item 250390401499. Look it up, read the words.

[You may need to grow a beard first] :-)

Seriously my gut reaction is that dowsing is complete horse****....but I
know a couple of people who swear by it. Perhaps you have a chance to
prove/disprove the technology.

I do dowsing using copper brazing rods. I don't care whether it is
horse**** or not - it works.

It must be because I have a beard. ;-)

Bruce[_4_] March 22nd 09 12:07 PM

Bruce wrote:

I do dowsing using copper brazing rods. I don't care whether it is
horse**** or not - it works.

I should have added ... copper brazing rods *that cost pennies*.

Lobster March 22nd 09 12:08 PM

Vortex3 wrote:
"gray" wrote in message
What the best (but cheapest) way of tracing a mains water pipe in the
ground on private property.

Is ther any thing I can buy, relatively cheaply ??

Dowsing rods like ebay item 250390401499. Look it up, read the words.

[You may need to grow a beard first] :-)

Seriously my gut reaction is that dowsing is complete horse****....but I
know a couple of people who swear by it.

They should go and take the James Randi Challenge then, and earn
themselves a cool million:
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

So far nobody's managed to win it, curiously enough.

David

Bruce[_4_] March 22nd 09 12:15 PM

Lobster wrote:

Vortex3 wrote:
"gray" wrote in message
What the best (but cheapest) way of tracing a mains water pipe in the
ground on private property.

Is ther any thing I can buy, relatively cheaply ??

Dowsing rods like ebay item 250390401499. Look it up, read the words.

[You may need to grow a beard first] :-)

Seriously my gut reaction is that dowsing is complete horse****....but I
know a couple of people who swear by it.

They should go and take the James Randi Challenge then, and earn
themselves a cool million:
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

So far nobody's managed to win it, curiously enough.

There's nothing remotely "paranormal" about dowsing. It's all about
detecting subtle changes in the earth's electro-magnetic fields caused
by buried services and underground flows.

Dowsing isn't well understood and there isn't, as yet, a demonstrable
scientific explanation. That may come in time. But even if it doesn't,
all that matters is that it is a useful, easily learnt, practical
technique that can help you find buried pipelines, cables and other
significant underground features.

There's no need to "believe" in it. It isn't something that depends on
"faith". There's nothing "paranormal". It just works.

..

Andy Dingley March 22nd 09 12:28 PM

On 22 Mar, 11:38, "Vortex3" wrote:

Dowsing rods like ebay item 250390401499. *Look it up, read the words.

Fabulous! 8-)

Mind you:
"There is no tracking on this type of shipping"

Why would they need tracking through the postal system? Surely they
could just ask their crystal-powered spirit guide?

[You may need to grow a beard first] * *:-)

Were beards the fashion in Atlantis, or did they favour flippers and
Bermuda shorts?

gray March 22nd 09 01:33 PM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

I was thinking more along the lines of what I have seen the gas boards
use. Its yellow with a handle, doh doh its hard to describe.

I've got an old steel pipe that runs down my garden, its now got a
hole in it, with water coming out. Repair people say I should replace
all of the pipe as its old and perforated. The only proplem is, that
the main pipe feeds my house and 3 others, but this pipe carries on
down into my garden. But I do not know where it goes too.

Apart form turning the stop cock and seen if any one shouts. The only
way I can think of is to track it with some sort of detector.

Not even sure if you could hire them.

PCPaul March 22nd 09 01:35 PM

You mean these: http://www.hss.com/g/49514/Detector.html

gray March 22nd 09 02:15 PM

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:35:33 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

http://www.hss.com/g/49514/Detector.htm

Yes thats the thing. Not sure what I would need from the list of bits.

I take that these things are expensive to buy. Any idea who might
supply them ??

Frank Erskine March 22nd 09 02:24 PM

wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of what I have seen the gas boards
use. Its yellow with a handle, doh doh its hard to describe.

I've got an old steel pipe that runs down my garden, its now got a
hole in it, with water coming out. Repair people say I should replace
all of the pipe as its old and perforated. The only proplem is, that
the main pipe feeds my house and 3 others, but this pipe carries on
down into my garden. But I do not know where it goes too.

Apart form turning the stop cock and seen if any one shouts. The only
way I can think of is to track it with some sort of detector.

Some (most?) plastic pipes are laid with a tracer wire wrapped loosely
around or close to them for this very purpose.

--
Frank Erskine

Phil L March 22nd 09 02:33 PM

gray wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:35:33 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

http://www.hss.com/g/49514/Detector.htm

Yes thats the thing. Not sure what I would need from the list of bits.

I take that these things are expensive to buy. Any idea who might
supply them ??

The company featured in the link - HSS.
And almost all plant hire companies will have them too....according to the
link, they are about £40 for the first day.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Bob Minchin[_2_] March 22nd 09 02:39 PM

gray wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of what I have seen the gas boards
use. Its yellow with a handle, doh doh its hard to describe.

I've got an old steel pipe that runs down my garden, its now got a
hole in it, with water coming out. Repair people say I should replace
all of the pipe as its old and perforated. The only proplem is, that
the main pipe feeds my house and 3 others, but this pipe carries on
down into my garden. But I do not know where it goes too.

Apart form turning the stop cock and seen if any one shouts. The only
way I can think of is to track it with some sort of detector.

Not even sure if you could hire them.

You can detect underground pipes with a simple AM tranny radio with a
ferrite rod internal antenna. Not it MUST be a medium/log wave AM radio
not FM not digital.
Tune to a signal
Turn the radio until the rod ariel is vertical and note that the signal
disappears or becomes very noisy.
Hold the radio in this position and walk over the area with the pipe or
cable in.
As you approach the pipe the signal will re-appear, then when you are
directly over the pipe it will disappear again and then when you walk
past the pip is will reappear for a short distance and then disappear
once more.
This effect will only be noticed for reasonably long pipes/wires and you
must cross the track of the pipe not just pass the end of it but it does
work and is the principle used but commercial detectors.

Bob

Andrew Mawson March 22nd 09 03:54 PM

"gray" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:35:33 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

http://www.hss.com/g/49514/Detector.htm

Yes thats the thing. Not sure what I would need from the list of

bits.

I take that these things are expensive to buy. Any idea who might
supply them ??

Yep, and that's the C-Scope I referred to several posts earlier !!!!

AWEM

Old Git[_2_] March 22nd 09 04:36 PM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:38:46 -0000, "Vortex3"
wrote:

"gray" wrote in message
.. .
What the best (but cheapest) way of tracing a mains water pipe in the
ground on private property.

Is ther any thing I can buy, relatively cheaply ??

Dowsing rods like ebay item 250390401499. Look it up, read the words.

Whilst reading their blurb I swear I could hear banjos a playing in
the background.

Lobster March 22nd 09 05:10 PM

Bruce wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Vortex3 wrote:
"gray" wrote in message
[...]

I can understand how there could well be some scientific basis for it,
but Randi certainly classes it as paranormal activity and apparently
dowsers are the largest group of applicants for the prize - but he
hasn't paid out yet, so go figure!

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...ay-9-2008.html

I heard him talking about it on TV once - ISTR he had a test consisting
of several buried pipes, through which water could be diverted at will -
genuine dowsers ought to be able to detect reproducibly which pipes had
water running through them - but they couldn't.

David

The Medway Handyman March 22nd 09 08:40 PM

Lobster wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Vortex3 wrote:
"gray" wrote in message
[...]

James Randi is a magician by background & well aware of unscientific claims.
The test you refer to is the Kassel Dowsing Test. Scientifically faultless
& conclusive. None of the dowsers could achieve results better than chance.

Its the ideomotor effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect

The money is still up for grabs
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...verything.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Bruce[_4_] March 22nd 09 10:20 PM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

gilli wrote:

I will dowse it for you for free if you are near Bristol.

And I will make the same offer if the OP is near Buckinghamshire.

Lobster March 23rd 09 12:36 AM

Bruce wrote:
Lobster wrote:
I can understand how there could well be some scientific basis for it,
but Randi certainly classes it as paranormal activity and apparently
dowsers are the largest group of applicants for the prize - but he
hasn't paid out yet, so go figure!

To me, all that matters is that it works.

But apparently it only does so when not under rigorously controlled
scientific condtitions?

David

RobertL March 23rd 09 10:45 AM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

On Mar 22, 9:12*am, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

The method is to press the probe 9metal rod) into
the ground and rest your ear against the upper end - don't get carried
away and bang the probe through the pipe!

or through your head!

Robert

TheScullster March 23rd 09 10:48 AM

"Bruce" wrote in message
gilli wrote:

I will dowse it for you for free if you are near Bristol.

And I will make the same offer if the OP is near Buckinghamshire.

Hi Bruce

As a pro-dowsing participant in this thread, can you give an idea of how big
a pipe needs to be and how near to ground level for you to find it?
I have used dowsing rods years ago and believe from experience that they
work - but I don't know how small a pipe they can be used to locate (in the
hands of a regular user). From my experience, I would not have expected to
find a mains feed plastic 22mm pipe to a single house buried a foot down for
instance.

To the OP - I had some leak detection work done recently (insurance covered)
and the guy who did this explained how they find a leak such as yours.
Basically they hook up a pressurised cylinder to the mains somewhere and
wait for it to push the water out of the leak point. As soon as the gas
starts to leak, they can detect the exact spot using gas detection kit
(sniffing at ground level).

Phil

Tim Downie March 23rd 09 11:26 AM

Bruce wrote:
Bruce wrote:

I do dowsing using copper brazing rods. I don't care whether it is
horse**** or not - it works.

I should have added ... copper brazing rods *that cost pennies*.

Spendthrift! What's wrong with old coathangers? They breed in wardrobes
and cost nothing. ;-)

Tim

Bruce[_4_] March 23rd 09 05:58 PM

"TheScullster" wrote:

Hi Bruce

As a pro-dowsing participant in this thread, can you give an idea of how big
a pipe needs to be and how near to ground level for you to find it?

I have plotted the line of a
I have used dowsing rods years ago and believe from experience that they
work - but I don't know how small a pipe they can be used to locate (in the
hands of a regular user). From my experience, I would not have expected to
find a mains feed plastic 22mm pipe to a single house buried a foot down for
instance.

I have plotted the line of a 22mm alkathene water pipe that was buried
to a greater depth - it varied from 450 to 600mm approximately. It
wasn't too difficult except where it crossed other buried services.

My greatest successes were with buried live cables. They were
relatively easy to find. A buried telephone cable was beyond my ability
(or that of the technique) to find.

Bruce[_4_] March 23rd 09 06:02 PM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Strange experience - I find myself agreeing with eveything Dennis has said.

As far as dowsing is concerned, you're both armchair experts. It would
therefore be surprising if you didn't agree.

If I lived closer to the Medway towns I would gladly show you the
technique, then you could judge for yourself. It's not difficult to
learn, and I think the best dowsers are probably sceptics like me who
strenuously refuse to believe in the paranormal, but are objective
enough to recognise that it works.

Unfortunately, the people who try to give it a (non-existent) paranormal
dimension have given dowsing a bad name.

BigWallop[_2_] March 23rd 09 06:14 PM

"Bruce" wrote in message
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Strange experience - I find myself agreeing with eveything Dennis has

said.

As far as dowsing is concerned, you're both armchair experts. It would
therefore be surprising if you didn't agree.

If I lived closer to the Medway towns I would gladly show you the
technique, then you could judge for yourself. It's not difficult to
learn, and I think the best dowsers are probably sceptics like me who
strenuously refuse to believe in the paranormal, but are objective
enough to recognise that it works.

Unfortunately, the people who try to give it a (non-existent) paranormal
dimension have given dowsing a bad name.

To find water underground, you can't beat a set of dowsing rods. I've
actually witnessed a bloke with a couple of bent welding rods, find an
underground piped burn and the track of a sewer pipe.

I don't know how it works, but after seeing it work with my own eyes, I was
amazed.

The Medway Handyman March 23rd 09 06:40 PM

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Strange experience - I find myself agreeing with eveything Dennis
has said.

As far as dowsing is concerned, you're both armchair experts. It
would therefore be surprising if you didn't agree.

If I lived closer to the Medway towns I would gladly show you the
technique, then you could judge for yourself. It's not difficult to
learn, and I think the best dowsers are probably sceptics like me who
strenuously refuse to believe in the paranormal, but are objective
enough to recognise that it works.

So why don't you take Randi's $1 million? Nearly as much in GBP as Fred
Goodwins pension.

Unfortunately, the people who try to give it a (non-existent)
paranormal dimension have given dowsing a bad name.

"Paranormal is a general term that describes unusual experiences that lack a
scientific explanation, or phenomena alleged to be outside of science's
current ability to explain or measure."

At least thats how I see it, nothing to do with ghosts, talking to dead
people etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Bruce[_4_] March 23rd 09 07:28 PM

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Strange experience - I find myself agreeing with eveything Dennis
has said.

As far as dowsing is concerned, you're both armchair experts. It
would therefore be surprising if you didn't agree.

If I lived closer to the Medway towns I would gladly show you the
technique, then you could judge for yourself. It's not difficult to
learn, and I think the best dowsers are probably sceptics like me who
strenuously refuse to believe in the paranormal, but are objective
enough to recognise that it works.

So why don't you take Randi's $1 million? Nearly as much in GBP as Fred
Goodwins pension.

Because there is no paranormal content! Randi wants proof of the
paranormal, which I definitely don't believe in, so his money is under
no threat from me.

Besides, the proposed "challenge" looks to me as though it is completely
unsuited to dowsing. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

Unfortunately, the people who try to give it a (non-existent)
paranormal dimension have given dowsing a bad name.

"Paranormal is a general term that describes unusual experiences that lack a
scientific explanation, or phenomena alleged to be outside of science's
current ability to explain or measure."

At least thats how I see it, nothing to do with ghosts, talking to dead
people etc.

Either way, I couldn't give a toss about how dowsing works. The only
thing that matters is that it does. End of.

dennis@home March 23rd 09 07:50 PM

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Bruce" wrote in message
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

[...]

I would be amazed as there is underground water everywhere (well almost in
the UK).
These rods can tell the difference between chlorinated water and fresh water
it would appear.

That's the trouble with dowsing..
along he comes and says drill there and someone drills down and guess what,
they find water.
I could come along and say drill 20 feet away and guess what, they would
find water.

The Medway Handyman March 23rd 09 07:55 PM

Bruce wrote:

So why don't you take Randi's $1 million? Nearly as much in GBP as
Fred Goodwins pension.

Because there is no paranormal content! Randi wants proof of the
paranormal, which I definitely don't believe in, so his money is under
no threat from me.

You don't understand what the word means. Paranormal simply means any event
without scientific explanation. From 'para' which means beyond or past.
Dowsing is a paranormal event.

Besides, the proposed "challenge" looks to me as though it is
completely unsuited to dowsing. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

Sound like a cop out to me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Bruce[_4_] March 23rd 09 08:39 PM

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Bruce wrote:

So why don't you take Randi's $1 million? Nearly as much in GBP as
Fred Goodwins pension.

Because there is no paranormal content! Randi wants proof of the
paranormal, which I definitely don't believe in, so his money is under
no threat from me.

You don't understand what the word means.

On the contrary, I use the standard definition in the Oxford dictionary:

paranormal

"supposedly beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding."

Dowsing is a paranormal event.

Electromagnetic force is not beyond the scope of normal scientific
understanding.

How does your electric drill rotate? You mean you don't understand?

Besides, the proposed "challenge" looks to me as though it is
completely unsuited to dowsing. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

Sound like a cop out to me.

Well it would, wouldn't it. After all, you don't believe in climate
change, as if it is a belief that you can choose to accept or not.

The Medway Handyman March 23rd 09 09:00 PM

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Bruce wrote:

So why don't you take Randi's $1 million? Nearly as much in GBP as
Fred Goodwins pension.

Because there is no paranormal content! Randi wants proof of the
paranormal, which I definitely don't believe in, so his money is
under no threat from me.

You don't understand what the word means.

On the contrary, I use the standard definition in the Oxford
dictionary:

paranormal

"supposedly beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding."

Dowsing is a paranormal event.

Electromagnetic force is not beyond the scope of normal scientific
understanding.

IF dowsing works on that basis, then any electromagnetic force, no matter
how small could be measured. Since it can't the event is beyond the scope
of normal scientific understanding.

Unless dowsing works by some special, magic, electromagnetic forces that
can't be measured, because measuring it causes it to vanish?

How does your electric drill rotate? You mean you don't understand?

The electromagnetic force used by a drill can easily be measured.

Besides, the proposed "challenge" looks to me as though it is
completely unsuited to dowsing. It's just a waste of everyone's
time.

Sound like a cop out to me.

Well it would, wouldn't it. After all, you don't believe in climate
change, as if it is a belief that you can choose to accept or not.

Wow! An ad hominem argument that is also completely irrelevent!

If you claim specific abilities, they should stand up to being examined.
The Randi Challenge is entirely fair "Applicant must state clearly in
advance, and applicant and JREF will agree upon, what powers and/or
abilities will be demonstrated, the limits of the proposed demonstration (so
far as time, location and other variables are concerned) and what will
constitute both a positive and a negative result".

If you claim the ability to dowse you can take the money. If your supposed
abilities can't stand up to a simple test it's a cop out.

BTW. I do believe in climate change, its been going on for thousands of
years. I don't believe its man made.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Grimly Curmudgeon March 23rd 09 10:34 PM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

That's the trouble with dowsing..
along he comes and says drill there and someone drills down and guess what,
they find water.
I could come along and say drill 20 feet away and guess what, they would
find water.

My neighbour could have done with you.
The water table here is a mere yard below the surface, this time of
year. Two months ago the neighbour had a borehole drilled and managed to
find nothing, another bloke drilled a new hole twenty feet away and
found plenty.

I've got a fountainous borehole round the back that I never use - pity I
couldn't sell him it.

Lobster March 24th 09 12:19 AM

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Strange experience - I find myself agreeing with eveything Dennis
has said.

As far as dowsing is concerned, you're both armchair experts. It
would therefore be surprising if you didn't agree.

If I lived closer to the Medway towns I would gladly show you the
technique, then you could judge for yourself. It's not difficult to
learn, and I think the best dowsers are probably sceptics like me who
strenuously refuse to believe in the paranormal, but are objective
enough to recognise that it works.

So why don't you take Randi's $1 million? Nearly as much in GBP as Fred
Goodwins pension.

Because there is no paranormal content! Randi wants proof of the
paranormal, which I definitely don't believe in, so his money is under
no threat from me.

Red herring - the term 'paranormal' is irrelevant. Randi will pay up to
anybody who can prove dowsing works.

Besides, the proposed "challenge" looks to me as though it is completely
unsuited to dowsing.

Why?

David

dennis@home March 24th 09 07:52 AM

"Lobster" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:

8

Besides, the proposed "challenge" looks to me as though it is completely
unsuited to dowsing.

Why?

No visual clues to use if I were to hazard a guess.

Bruce[_4_] March 24th 09 10:18 AM

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

If you claim specific abilities, they should stand up to being examined.

I don't claim anything, and certainly not any specific abilities. You
don't need any specific abilities to be able to use dowsing
successfully. It is a simple technique that anyone can learn in a few
minutes, even a sceptic like me.

I don't care why it works, or whether you (or anyone else) believes in
it, or not. It works for me, and for an awful lot of other people. They
probably don't care why it works any more than I do. It is simply
enough for me, and them, that it works.

It's only the armchair critics like you who demand explanations. Tough,
because I don't have any. But that doesn't mean that dowsing doesn't
work, because it does.

Bruce[_4_] March 24th 09 10:20 AM

Lobster wrote:

Red herring - the term 'paranormal' is irrelevant. Randi will pay up to
anybody who can prove dowsing works.

But who would want to?

Picking your nose works. Does that need to be proved to someone in some
intricately contrived experiment with a carrot of money at the end?

Martin Bonner March 24th 09 10:55 AM

On Mar 24, 10:20*am, Bruce wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Red herring - the term 'paranormal' is irrelevant. *Randi will pay up to
anybody who can prove dowsing works.

But who would want to?

Someone who wants a million dollars. That is actually quite a lot of
people.

Bruce[_4_] March 24th 09 11:06 AM

Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Mar 24, 10:20=A0am, Bruce wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Red herring - the term 'paranormal' is irrelevant. =A0Randi will pay up =

anybody who can prove dowsing works.

But who would want to?

Someone who wants a million dollars. That is actually quite a lot of
people.

I think you meant "someone who wants a million dollars to do an
intricately contrived experiment that makes it impossible to prove
anything".

Not surprisingly, the number of takers for that is vanishingly small.

But my point is, who cares? Here's a technique that works quite
reliably, one that many people use successfully in their work. No-one
knows how or why it works, just that it does.

Who cares? Only the armchair critics. Ironically, some of those
critics might actually find it useful, but they let their prejudices get
in the way instead. ;-)