Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eco balls

What the devil are "eco balls"?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

Well, I know what they are - they are plastic balls with other balls
inside them, that I saw on sale in Aldi, and which are claimed to be a
'natural' - funny, I never encountered such things in nature before -
alternative to washing powder. What I'd like to know is, how are they
supposed to work?

Aldi were also selling "Wash 'n' Save Balls", an equally baffling
proposition.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8858.htm

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
What the devil are "eco balls"?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

Well, I know what they are - they are plastic balls with other balls
inside them, that I saw on sale in Aldi, and which are claimed to be a
'natural' - funny, I never encountered such things in nature before -
alternative to washing powder. What I'd like to know is, how are they
supposed to work?

Aldi were also selling "Wash 'n' Save Balls", an equally baffling
proposition.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8858.htm

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D

Yet another (polite!) way to sell eco-bollox to the general public, if you
ask me ... :-) Seriously though, can the water circulate inside them ?
Might be some attempt at 'simulating' the action of washing clothes in a
river or something, where stones might be used to pound the dirt out ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

What the devil are "eco balls"?

Aldi were also selling "Wash 'n' Save Balls", an equally baffling
proposition.

Yet another (polite!) way to sell eco-bollox to the general public, if you
ask me ... :-) Seriously though, can the water circulate inside them ?
Might be some attempt at 'simulating' the action of washing clothes in a
river or something, where stones might be used to pound the dirt out ?

That'll be good for cashmere pullovers...

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
D.M. Procida wrote
What the devil are "eco balls"?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

Well, I know what they are - they are plastic balls with other balls
inside them, that I saw on sale in Aldi, and which are claimed to be a
'natural' - funny, I never encountered such things in nature before -
alternative to washing powder. What I'd like to know is, how are they
supposed to work?

Aldi were also selling "Wash 'n' Save Balls", an equally baffling
proposition.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8858.htm

Daniele

The solid plastic balls are the equivalent hitting your washing on rocks
- but for a washing machine in a detergent rich environment. These have
be of some benefit in the cleaning process but possibly at the expense
of a shorter life span for the clothing and the washing machine drum.

The ones that claim to replace washing power are the equivalent of
hitting your washing on rocks using plain tap water. They work just as
well as using your washing machine without any detergent (and without
balls). A cycle in a washing with the eco ball(ox) in plain water will
get most things superficially clean but will leave all the body fats
etc. still on the clothes. You will then have to boil wash every third
time

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
What the devil are "eco balls"?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

Well, I know what they are - they are plastic balls with other balls
inside them, that I saw on sale in Aldi, and which are claimed to be a
'natural' - funny, I never encountered such things in nature before -
alternative to washing powder. What I'd like to know is, how are they
supposed to work?

Aldi were also selling "Wash 'n' Save Balls", an equally baffling
proposition.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8858.htm

Daniele

The washing machine ones are a good way to make your machine stink,
nothing eco about that. Gappy balls in a drier marginally increase
airflow, so may indeed save you 2 seconds of drying time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
What the devil are "eco balls"?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

A load of ecoballs IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
Well, I know what they are - they are plastic balls with other balls
inside them, that I saw on sale in Aldi, and which are claimed to be a
'natural' - funny, I never encountered such things in nature before -
alternative to washing powder. What I'd like to know is, how are they
supposed to work?

They're for people who don't understand that powder put in the dispenser
ends up dissolved in the water in exactly the same way.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

and which are claimed to be a
'natural' - funny, I never encountered such things in nature before -
alternative to washing powder. What I'd like to know is, how are they
supposed to work?

Same way as their natural alternative. See
http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/image...4581xiyi01.jpg

Basically the same as chucking a handful of rocks in but not quite as
noisy.

I think that might explain the Wash 'n' Save Balls":

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8858.htm'

But not the eco-balls:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

The eco-balls are apparently good for 150 washes, so they obviously
contain something that gets used up.

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

D.M. Procida wrote:
Peter Parry wrote:

and which are claimed to be a
'natural' - funny, I never encountered such things in nature before -
alternative to washing powder. What I'd like to know is, how are they
supposed to work?

Same way as their natural alternative. See
http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/image...4581xiyi01.jpg

Basically the same as chucking a handful of rocks in but not quite as
noisy.

I think that might explain the Wash 'n' Save Balls":

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8858.htm'

But not the eco-balls:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

The eco-balls are apparently good for 150 washes, so they obviously
contain something that gets used up.

Daniele

Not following this thread very closely, but maybe something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeolite

Not so much used up as filled up.

And very definitely 'natural' (or at least, originally so, even if there
are manufactured versions now).

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember
(D.M. Procida) saying
something like:

The eco-balls are apparently good for 150 washes, so they obviously
contain something that gets used up.

You can buy a can of serpens oleum locally, surely?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

The eco-balls are apparently good for 150 washes, so they
obviously contain something that gets used up.

OR the snake-oil vendors want to keep you coming back to buy more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
Peter Parry wrote:

and which are claimed to be a
'natural' - funny, I never encountered such things in nature before -
alternative to washing powder. What I'd like to know is, how are they
supposed to work?

Same way as their natural alternative. See
http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/image...4581xiyi01.jpg

Basically the same as chucking a handful of rocks in but not quite as
noisy.

I think that might explain the Wash 'n' Save Balls":

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8858.htm'

But not the eco-balls:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_8860.htm

The eco-balls are apparently good for 150 washes, so they obviously
contain something that gets used up.

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D

Good will from the sap who shelled out hard-earned for them, probably ...
;-)

Arfa

Balls (for washing) Ian[_6_] UK diy 20 October 9th 08 05:33 PM
BALLS! charlieb Woodturning 6 February 4th 08 07:32 AM
Mouse Balls Cliff Metalworking 47 April 2nd 06 05:10 AM
Balls Cliff Metalworking 56 January 20th 06 01:04 AM
Little Balls on washer lid Appliance Repair Aid Home Repair 4 September 28th 05 02:58 AM