Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Grand Designs: radiant window heating?

OG wrote:

Triple glazed (on that house), metal oxide coating on the inside pane with
making them sufficiently conductive to act as radiant heaters from the glass
surface. Mains power bus bars in the frames carry current to the glass and
into the metal oxide surface where heat is generated. A special coating on
the outer pane reflects the Infra Red radiation back into the room

Claimed heating is 20% cheaper than the 'equivalent alternative', but I'm
not sure what that is - possibly oil or electric heating as the houser seems
to be in a village so may not be on mains gas.

Presumably by heating the glass you reduce draughts caused by cooling
against the glass - so you can get by with a lower air temperature.

What surprised me was that the actual house itself didn't seem to have any
kind of privacy at all, as there was no sign of blinds or curtains on any of
the windows. Presumably putting a curtain over the heating system would be
inefficient, so I'm not sure how you would combine the heating with
curtains - fortunately the house faced over fields so privacy isn't a
problem but getting woken with the light at 4am in the summer wouldn't be
fun.

Good description of the heating. But you forgot 'delivered late' and
'expensive'.

Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
houses - where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
dark room?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
houses - where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
dark room?

The dreadful acoustics would probably be the cause of the migraine...

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
houses - where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
dark room?

You go to one of the partly underground houses featured in the series,
the one with insufficient illumination from too few light tubes. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod wrote:
Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
houses - where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
dark room?

The dreadful acoustics would probably be the cause of the migraine...

Good point... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

Lack of privacy and excess light seem to be recurring themes in GD
houses -

So I've noticed. YAGB - yet another glass box; I haven't bothered
watching a few of the last several progs once I saw what was being
served up, save popping back into the prog for a look at the halfway or
threequarter mark to see if anything interesting had transpired (it
hadn't).

where the hell do you go with a migraine and urgent need for
dark room?

Why would an exhibitionist need to?

Grand designs George UK diy 12 January 31st 08 12:36 PM
Grand designs George UK diy 17 April 2nd 07 10:02 AM
Grand designs The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 61 April 27th 06 08:03 PM
Grand Designs: 30 Nov 05 [email protected] UK diy 13 December 3rd 05 12:57 PM
Grand Designs again stuart noble UK diy 22 October 21st 04 10:58 PM