Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slight leak behind WC bowl

I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Is it definitely a leak and not just condensation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

Is it definately the waste pipe and not the flush coupling? I had the same
problem and I thought the same as you, until I looked really closely - and
it turned out to the the cistern pipe to bowl seal was dodgey. The water
was dripping down onto the waste pipe then off that onto the floor.

In any case, stuffing it with silicone should be fine for such a tiny leak -
there's little pressure. It's best if you can get the silicon to go into a
recess rather than smearing it over the surface, if possible.

Obviously, ensure the area is degreased and clean and dry before applying
and leave it for enough time to go off before using the loo.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

I remember somebody on here advocating pouring PVA glue solution into
the toilet bowl overnight, to cure a very slow leak like this with
miniumum aggro. Never tried it myself but it may be worth a try!

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

Is it definately the waste pipe and not the flush coupling? I had the same
problem and I thought the same as you, until I looked really closely - and
it turned out to the the cistern pipe to bowl seal was dodgey. The water
was dripping down onto the waste pipe then off that onto the floor.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll check that.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I remember somebody on here advocating pouring PVA glue solution into
the toilet bowl overnight, to cure a very slow leak like this with
miniumum aggro. Never tried it myself but it may be worth a try!

Sounds interesting ...
I wonder if anyone can endorse this suggestion?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I remember somebody on here advocating pouring PVA glue solution into
the toilet bowl overnight, to cure a very slow leak like this with
miniumum aggro. Never tried it myself but it may be worth a try!

Sounds interesting ...
I wonder if anyone can endorse this suggestion?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

How does the waste pipe attach to the bowl - is it a plastic Multiwik
collar?

http://www.sas-france.com/sas_uk/sit...am=34&idsou=87

If so, and you are sure this is leaking and not the flush as suggested, then
if you feel slightly brave I would give it a wiggle and a twist to try to
re-seat it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Mar, 11:45, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

Yes, just squeeze some Plumbers Mait non-setting putty into any gap(s)
around the joint.

Toom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toom Tabard wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:45, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

Yes, just squeeze some Plumbers Mait non-setting putty into any gap(s)
around the joint.

Wonderful stuff! Used some this very afternoon for exactly that problem.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Toom Tabard wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:45, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

Yes, just squeeze some Plumbers Mait non-setting putty into any gap(s)
around the joint.

Wonderful stuff! Used some this very afternoon for exactly that problem.

And I have used some FT101 for just that purpose. I wouldn't use
Plumbers' Mait for that as it doesn't IMHO have the flexibility required.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Toom Tabard wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:45, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

Yes, just squeeze some Plumbers Mait non-setting putty into any
gap(s) around the joint.

Wonderful stuff! Used some this very afternoon for exactly that
problem.

And I have used some FT101 for just that purpose. I wouldn't use
Plumbers' Mait for that as it doesn't IMHO have the flexibility
required.

But its non setting, so it must remain flexible. Isn't that its benefit?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

How does the waste pipe attach to the bowl - is it a plastic Multiwik
collar?

Yes, I'm almost certain that is what the plumber used 25 years ago.

If so, and you are sure this is leaking and not the flush as suggested,

then
if you feel slightly brave I would give it a wiggle and a twist to try to
re-seat it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll check the flush and if it's not that I'll try what you suggest.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Toom Tabard wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:45, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

Yes, just squeeze some Plumbers Mait non-setting putty into any
gap(s) around the joint.
Wonderful stuff! Used some this very afternoon for exactly that
problem.

And I have used some FT101 for just that purpose. I wouldn't use
Plumbers' Mait for that as it doesn't IMHO have the flexibility
required.

But its non setting, so it must remain flexible. Isn't that its benefit?

IME it's a bit like window putty - it firms up quite a lot. Get into an
old PM joint and it still won't be hard - but it sure ain't soft and
flexible. Sufficient for the gap between two nice hard things like
copper and heavy lead or ceramic. But not plastics and rubber.

Plus, it certainly used to affect plastics - seems to make them
deteriorate, albeit quiet slowly. Can't really remember, but didn't it
say something of the sort on the tin?

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Mar, 07:17, Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Toom Tabard wrote:
[...]

I used Plumbers Mait to seal the rubber flange gasket where the
cistern inlet pipe goes into the ceramic toilet bowl. That was fifteen
years ago. It was still sealing it, and soft and flexible, when I
installed a new toilet bowl several weeks ago. And I was able to wipe
it off and re-use the gasket without it since the new toilet pan inlet
seemed a better fit for the gasket .And it is still after fifteen
years sealing the gasket in the joint/overlap between the plastic
outlet pipe and the metal drain pipe. If, rather than just plugging a
gap as a precaution, it's actually stopping a low pressure leak, then
I think the leak it's stopping also keeps it soft, if you see what I
mean. Anyway, either way, it seems to work long term.

Toom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day -
behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this,
eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

Yes.

Several contributors have suggested some sort of sealant to be applied. I
respectfully suggest this is not such a good idea as it will only trap nasty
water between each lip of the Multiwik seal as each will progressively fill
up. At less than a fiver (I think - and if it is within the scope of the OP
then I would suggest replacing it as it may have been distorted - or be
damaged. I believe they are usually very reliable - ideally the first ring
of seals should stop the leak - subsequent ones are for insurance! If you
apply gunge behind the Multiwik then the whole thing traps water within it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

At less than a fiver (I think - and if it is within the scope of the OP
then I would suggest replacing it as it may have been distorted - or be
damaged.

As the OP, I could afford a new Multiwik,
but I could not afford my wife's reaction
if my "improvement" disimproved things.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Timothy Murphy wrote:
John wrote:

At less than a fiver (I think - and if it is within the scope of the OP
then I would suggest replacing it as it may have been distorted - or be
damaged.

As the OP, I could afford a new Multiwik,
but I could not afford my wife's reaction
if my "improvement" disimproved things.

The awkwardness of replacing the rubber thing would have been unwelcome.
The joint between the downpipe and the cistern is solid and sound - and
I do not wish to dismantle.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Timothy Murphy wrote:
John wrote:

At less than a fiver (I think - and if it is within the scope of the OP
then I would suggest replacing it as it may have been distorted - or be
damaged.

As the OP, I could afford a new Multiwik,
but I could not afford my wife's reaction
if my "improvement" disimproved things.

The awkwardness of replacing the rubber thing would have been unwelcome.
The joint between the downpipe and the cistern is solid and sound - and I
do not wish to dismantle.

--
Rod

onset.

I think you will be delaying the problem rather than fixing it - after all
no-one would suggest trying to fix a leaking compression joint by pasting
stuff on the outside. I realise the pressures are different - but you are
trapping foul water inside the seal - it don't seem right!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Timothy Murphy wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Don't think there is much space between the fins - I tried to fill it as
much as possible. You might be right - but I shall deal with it if it
occurs.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Timothy Murphy wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

It doesnt work that way

I had precisely this, both from the indaquate cistern to bowl and bowwl
to soilpipe connectors.

Mine were neoprene, and I carefully lifted the outer section, drained
and dried them, and injected clear silcone into th first 'chamber'.

Whether or not 'foul water' is trapped behind any other parts I neither
know nor care. Its below water level on th soil pipe, and its clan water
at tee bowl entry. So no smells.

slight oil leak on riding mower..... Dale Home Repair 1 June 28th 07 02:59 AM
Very Slight leak under kitchen sink jaynews Home Repair 6 November 29th 06 11:57 PM
Fuel bowl leak Jim Home Repair 5 May 20th 05 12:23 AM
Slight garbage disposal leak trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 5 March 25th 05 06:18 AM
Toilet bowl leak question Elena Sofia Ricci Home Repair 4 March 20th 05 04:12 PM