DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   O.T. : What Have We Done ... ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/272407-o-t-what-have-we-done.html)

dennis@home March 6th 09 02:09 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

(they were very lucky; the co-pilot was ex-Air Force and happened to
know something about an old air base; the pilot was an expert glider
pilot...).

Shame that the airfield he landed on had been closed and converted to a drag
strip.
Very lucky to have missed the competitors and their families.

Of course none of it would have happened if they had fixed the faulty fuel
gauges.

dennis@home March 6th 09 02:10 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Could have been the same thing using gallons...

Nah if they had put gallons in they would have had four times as much fuel.
They might have noticed when it overflowed.

Bob Eager March 6th 09 02:49 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:09:07 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

(they were very lucky; the co-pilot was ex-Air Force and happened to
know something about an old air base; the pilot was an expert glider
pilot...).

Shame that the airfield he landed on had been closed and converted to a drag
strip.
Very lucky to have missed the competitors and their families.

Of course none of it would have happened if they had fixed the faulty fuel
gauges.

There was so much luck involved at all stages. If only they'd followed
proper procedures...

http://www.diybanter.com

S Viemeister[_2_] March 6th 09 02:55 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Could have been the same thing using gallons...

Nah if they had put gallons in they would have had four times as much fuel.
They might have noticed when it overflowed.

But which size gallon? US or Imperial?

The Medway Handyman March 6th 09 05:34 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Can you borrow me a fiver?

Maxie, I never knew you were so broke! If I saw you in the street I
would give you a fiver Maxie. I would give it to you. If all I had
in the world was two pies I would give you one. Did the bailiffs
take your pies?

Maxie, my heart goes out to you. How do you feel Maxie? How do you
feel. Of course, next is the gutter.

Is it your

Maxie, hold on in there man. Hold on in. Thing may get better. How is
it in the gutter?

Is there any point to this ****e?

Its an educationally disadvantaged dwarf.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

John Rumm March 6th 09 06:59 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Can you borrow me a fiver?
Maxie, I never knew you were so broke! If I saw you in the street I
would give you a fiver Maxie. I would give it to you. If all I had
in the world was two pies I would give you one. Did the bailiffs
take your pies?
Maxie, my heart goes out to you. How do you feel Maxie? How do you
feel. Of course, next is the gutter.
Is it your

Maxie, hold on in there man. Hold on in. Thing may get better. How is
it in the gutter?

Is there any point to this ****e?

Its an educationally disadvantaged dwarf.

There never is a point to anything dribble writes, you should know by
now, that *is* the point (to dribble anyway)!

--
Cheers,

John.

Doctor Drivel[_2_] March 7th 09 12:08 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Not 'entertainment'. News and so on. Informational programs should
not be hosted by people who obviously lack the ability to speak
grammatically correct english in a clear voice.If their
information on grammar is patently incorrect, what does that say
for their information on anything else?

There are lots of regional accents on TV, that is good thing, but
many do not pronounce the words properly. There is the Geordie
financial man on the TV news who can't pronounce "to"'s. That is a
no, no. Northern Irish say "noi", not "now. Stephen Norris, top
knob in the snotty Tory party, is a Liverpudlian with a Liverpool
accent however all is pronounced correctly, so comes across very
well. The accent is usually fine, except grating Northern Irish,
which is difficult to understand for many - especially foreigners -
as the best of times. I recall an American I know, only half
understanding a Northern Irish presenter on TV, who spoke the words
reasonably well. This snotty uni man is clearly on about "accent",
which to his
small mind the only proper way to speak English is with a southern
England snotty uni accent. When this bunch say Hawwwwlt instead of
halt - and say they speak the correct way. Cheeky *******s.

Is estuary English Cockney?

You just can't resist pulling politics and class prejudice into it,
can you. Everyone from the lowest educated council house kid to
privileged public school kids go to university (not that dreadful
Australian "uni" word) now, which if you had the faintest idea about
the subject, you would, of course, know. Drivel by nic. Drivel by
mouth. Empty-minded saddo ...

But is estuary English Cockney?

No. Similar, but not the same. No 'H' dropping in estuary English for
example.

Do they still sing, Boiled Beef and Carrots?

Doctor Drivel[_2_] March 7th 09 12:10 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Can you borrow me a fiver?

Maxie, I never knew you were so broke! If I saw you in the street I
would give you a fiver Maxie. I would give it to you. If all I had
in the world was two pies I would give you one. Did the bailiffs
take your pies?

Maxie, my heart goes out to you. How do you feel Maxie? How do you
feel. Of course, next is the gutter.

Is it your

Maxie, hold on in there man. Hold on in. Thing may get better. How is
it in the gutter?

Is there any point to this ****e?

No there is not. I blame Thatcher for all this. Without here Maxie would
not be in the gutter.

The Medway Handyman March 7th 09 12:47 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Does anyone care?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Medway Handyman March 7th 09 12:50 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Can you borrow me a fiver?

Maxie, I never knew you were so broke! If I saw you in the
street I would give you a fiver Maxie. I would give it to you.
If all I had in the world was two pies I would give you one. Did
the bailiffs take your pies?

Maxie, my heart goes out to you. How do you feel Maxie? How do
you feel. Of course, next is the gutter.

Is it your

Maxie, hold on in there man. Hold on in. Thing may get better. How
is it in the gutter?

Is there any point to this ****e?

No there is not.

In that case why don't you stop posting ****e and making a complete pratt of
yourself?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

geoff March 7th 09 01:07 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Can you borrow me a fiver?

Maxie, I never knew you were so broke! If I saw you in the
street I would give you a fiver Maxie. I would give it to you.
If all I had in the world was two pies I would give you one. Did
the bailiffs take your pies?

Maxie, my heart goes out to you. How do you feel Maxie? How do
you feel. Of course, next is the gutter.

Is it your

Maxie, hold on in there man. Hold on in. Thing may get better. How
is it in the gutter?

Is there any point to this ****e?

No there is not.

In that case why don't you stop posting ****e and making a complete pratt of
yourself?

Prolly because its the only thing he is professionally competent at

--
geoff

Janet Tweedy March 7th 09 01:31 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes

We aren't disagreeing. Accent is not the issue. Pronunciation and local
dialect is.

So from where did the current teenage generation get the higher
inflection at the end of a sentence, turning every statement into what
sounds like a question?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Stephen Howard March 7th 09 01:44 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 01:31:34 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes

We aren't disagreeing. Accent is not the issue. Pronunciation and local
dialect is.

So from where did the current teenage generation get the higher
inflection at the end of a sentence, turning every statement into what
sounds like a question?

Australian soaps.

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations

Lino expert March 7th 09 08:48 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

On 7 Mar, 01:31, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes

We aren't disagreeing. Accent is not the issue. Pronunciation and local
dialect *is.

So from where did the current teenage generation get the higher
inflection at the end of a sentence, turning every statement into what
sounds like a question?

As others have said it's Aussie soaps, the trait's known as AQI
(Australian Questioning Intonation)...the same source that leads more
and more people to pronounce 'no' more similarly to 'nigh'.
Have a listen to Abi (Abby, Abbey?) on Eastenders, she's a
professional exponent.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) March 7th 09 09:28 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

In article , Bob Mannix
wrote:
Vive la difference! (as the continentals might say... or
is it "le"?).

Les (plural) :-)

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) March 7th 09 09:36 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

In article , PeterC
wrote:

When a bit lost in Wales I came across a small reservoir that was shown on
the map but the name on the sign was Dwr Cymru and most of them seem to be
called that - most confusing.

(Found out later that it means 'Birmingham's Water').

Surely Welsh (Cymru) water? I know most of it heads off to Birmingham
though. T'was lovely when I lived in the Midlands. Glawster wor aa is
horribly hard in comparison.

Rod March 7th 09 12:20 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article , PeterC
wrote:

When a bit lost in Wales I came across a small reservoir that was shown on
the map but the name on the sign was Dwr Cymru and most of them seem to be
called that - most confusing.

(Found out later that it means 'Birmingham's Water').

Surely Welsh (Cymru) water? I know most of it heads off to Birmingham
though. T'was lovely when I lived in the Midlands. Glawster wor aa is
horribly hard in comparison.

Elan valley reservoirs serve Birmingham, Vyrnwy serves Liverpool (and
the visiting Brummies). (Near enough.)

--
Rod

onset.

Grimly Curmudgeon March 7th 09 01:04 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bob Mannix"
saying something like:

For the first because they are merkins, for the second because it's
"correct" not to pronounce it, which is why it's "an hotel" not "a hotel".

Utter, utter cock.

Grimly Curmudgeon March 7th 09 01:19 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

But is estuary English Cockney?

No. Similar, but not the same. No 'H' dropping in estuary English for
example.

Do they still sing, Boiled Beef and Carrots?

Outside of Ealing Studios, did they ever?

Grimly Curmudgeon March 7th 09 01:29 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC
saying something like:

It's worse than that IMHO. The current ethos seems also to celebrate
stupidity and the superficial.

Worse still it seems to be unnacceptable to think for oneself
nowadays.

It's agin the law, innit?

And still, some people think the Government has done nothing.

Alang March 7th 09 02:29 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:04:11 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bob Mannix"
saying something like:

For the first because they are merkins, for the second because it's
"correct" not to pronounce it, which is why it's "an hotel" not "a hotel".

Utter, utter cock.

Indeed

I have a copy of Microsoft Bookshelf. A very handy reference
application from 1995. A bit dated and also american biased but handy
anyway. One function is a demonstration of how words should be
pronounced. Clicking on 'Hotel' gets a distinctive american accent
saying hotel. It doesn't say otel. Get the same with herb although
this one does say the herb pronunciation is middle english with erb
being french.

Dave Plowman (News) March 7th 09 04:12 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
Glawster wor aa is horribly hard in comparison.

All o Glasgay is hard, Jimmy.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Drivel[_2_] March 8th 09 12:13 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

But is estuary English Cockney?

No. Similar, but not the same. No 'H' dropping in estuary English for
example.

Do they still sing, Boiled Beef and Carrots?

Outside of Ealing Studios, did they ever?

I have heard them all over Lahdan.

...He comes from Lanhdan
...Saying fink and fir-een
...He cannot speak properly, if you know what I mean

..."wiv aught me barra, me auld cock sparra"
...He constantly shouts when pushing his barra

...Adorned with muffler and cloth cap
..."Boiled beef and carrots", he likes to yap.

...Lanhdan he travels, up and down
...Having a knees up with Mother Brown

...Leave him and his barra in streets he can ply
...He should be banned from uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel[_2_] March 8th 09 12:15 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Can you borrow me a fiver?

Maxie, I never knew you were so broke! If I saw you in the
street I would give you a fiver Maxie. I would give it to you.
If all I had in the world was two pies I would give you one. Did
the bailiffs take your pies?

Maxie, my heart goes out to you. How do you feel Maxie? How do
you feel. Of course, next is the gutter.

Is it your

Maxie, hold on in there man. Hold on in. Thing may get better. How
is it in the gutter?

Is there any point to this ****e?

No there is not.

In that case

Such a callous *******!!! No concern about Maxie and his plight in the
credit crunch. This one would walk over Maxie while he is in the gutter.
Appalling!

Doctor Drivel[_2_] March 8th 09 12:16 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"geoff" wrote in message

Prolly because its the only thing he is professionally competent at

Maxie, how is the gutter today? I hope you pull yourself out soon. My
God!! And Maxie is in a Paddy band too.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] March 8th 09 10:35 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:26:57 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

There was the case of the aircraft in Canada that was refuelled with X
pounds rather than X kilograms (because apparently kilograms are used
in Canada, at least in part, for fuel). Other checks were overridden,
granted, but it still happened.

Could have been the same thing using gallons...

The "Gimli Glider".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] March 8th 09 10:39 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:55:29 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:

Could have been the same thing using gallons...

Nah if they had put gallons in they would have had four times as much
fuel. They might have noticed when it overflowed.

But which size gallon? US or Imperial?

1 Imperial Gallon = 4.54609 litres
1 US Gallon = 3.78 litres

If they had used either gallons instead of litres they'd still have filled
the thing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Big Les Wade March 9th 09 06:07 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

John Rumm posted

And why do so many builders refer to length, width, and highth?

Why do they write "2 off" in an estimate when they mean two of
something?

--
Les

Mark March 9th 09 06:27 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"Big Les Wade" wrote in message
John Rumm posted

And why do so many builders refer to length, width, and highth?

Why do they write "2 off" in an estimate when they mean two of something?

They would put '2 off' because that is correct English. If you had
something made that was the only one of it's kind, it would be a 'one-off'.

mark

Roger March 9th 09 10:25 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

The message
from Big Les Wade contains these words:

Why do they write "2 off" in an estimate when they mean two of
something?

Is, or was, standard engineering practice. I was led to believe it was
for the avoidance of the doubt that might remain if a number of
numerical items were specified without intervening text between the two
numbers. Back in the days that handwritten lists were commonplace it was
obviously more important but even today a typed item of say 25 2"
widgets is open to misinterpretation.

--
Roger Chapman

Frank Erskine March 9th 09 11:05 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 22:25:41 GMT, Roger
wrote:

The message
from Big Les Wade contains these words:

Why do they write "2 off" in an estimate when they mean two of
something?

Is, or was, standard engineering practice. I was led to believe it was
for the avoidance of the doubt that might remain if a number of
numerical items were specified without intervening text between the two
numbers.

I understood it to mean, say, 2 items 'from' or 'off' stock to be used
for that particular project, and the expression stuck even when
talking of non-stock items.

It's better than the Chinese expression like '2 pieces of batteries'.
:-)

--
Frank Erskine

Bob Mannix March 10th 09 08:17 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"mark" wrote in message
et...

"Big Les Wade" wrote in message
John Rumm posted

And why do so many builders refer to length, width, and highth?

Why do they write "2 off" in an estimate when they mean two of something?

They would put '2 off' because that is correct English. If you had
something made that was the only one of it's kind, it would be a
'one-off'.

Murphy's law again

or, in correct English.. "...something that was the only one of its kind"

;o)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Big Les Wade March 10th 09 09:35 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

mark posted

"Big Les Wade" wrote in message
John Rumm posted

And why do so many builders refer to length, width, and highth?

Why do they write "2 off" in an estimate when they mean two of something?

They would put '2 off' because that is correct English.

I doubt it. I've never seen it used except by builders and their ilk.

If you had
something made that was the only one of it's kind, it would be a 'one-off'.

I doubt if that has anything to do with it.

--
Les
Criticising the government is not illegal, but often on investigation turns out

Bob Mannix March 10th 09 12:07 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"Big Les Wade" wrote in message
mark posted

"Big Les Wade" wrote in message
John Rumm posted

And why do so many builders refer to length, width, and highth?

Why do they write "2 off" in an estimate when they mean two of
something?

They would put '2 off' because that is correct English.

I doubt it. I've never seen it used except by builders and their ilk.

If you had
something made that was the only one of it's kind, it would be a
'one-off'.

I doubt if that has anything to do with it.

I agree, IMHO I believe the other bloke got it right - it was developed as
an unambiguous separator between quantity and description, as in

1 3/4" Whitworth nut

which could be one 3/4" or a 1.75" nut. Better put

1 off 3/4" Whitworth nut

Why the word off was used, I don't know.

Arfa Daily March 10th 09 03:04 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"Big Les Wade" wrote in message
John Rumm posted

And why do so many builders refer to length, width, and highth?

Why do they write "2 off" in an estimate when they mean two of something?

--
Les

I would have said that it was most likely a case of radio-speak - possibly
imported to common useage from the military - where intelligibility
requirements often result in 'odd' pronunciations or *******isation of words
such as pronouncing "five" as either "fife" or "fiver".

Arfa

geoff March 10th 09 08:46 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

In message , Bob Mannix
writes
[...]

marking 1 off the stock quantity ?

i.e. was 40 in stock, 1 off leaves 39

--
geoff

S Viemeister[_2_] March 11th 09 01:25 AM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Owain wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
I would have said that it was most likely a case of radio-speak -
possibly imported to common useage from the military - where
intelligibility requirements often result in 'odd' pronunciations or
*******isation of words such as pronouncing "five" as either "fife" or
"fiver".

Five is fife. Nine is niner.

Five is sometimes fye-uv.

S Viemeister[_2_] March 11th 09 01:33 PM

O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Owain wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
Five is fife. Nine is niner.

Five is sometimes fye-uv.

Not if you want to pass a CAA Flight Radiotelephone Operator's exam it
isn't.

It was, when i learned to be a PBX operator, many years ago.