DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Any alarm wizards ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/272269-any-alarm-wizards.html)

Colin Wilson February 28th 09 11:21 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

Is there a way to reset most alarms within the panel itself, i.e. by
putting a link across a couple of terminals ? (sure, it might ring
like a biatch for a while, but if I could reset / recode the
bugger...)

Dave Plowman (News) February 28th 09 11:46 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk
wrote:
Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

Is there a way to reset most alarms within the panel itself, i.e. by
putting a link across a couple of terminals ? (sure, it might ring
like a biatch for a while, but if I could reset / recode the
bugger...)

On my old one you just power it down totally - ie remove the internal
battery.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Arfa Daily March 1st 09 12:40 AM

Any alarm wizards ?

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

Is there a way to reset most alarms within the panel itself, i.e. by
putting a link across a couple of terminals ? (sure, it might ring
like a biatch for a while, but if I could reset / recode the
bugger...)

I got some very good help a few months back with a problem like this over on
alt.security.alarms

Arfa

Colin Wilson March 1st 09 11:55 AM

Any alarm wizards ?

I got some very good help a few months back with a problem like this over on
alt.security.alarms

Thanks - i'll have to confirm what type of panel it is first I think
:-}

Andrew Gabriel March 1st 09 12:41 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:
I got some very good help a few months back with a problem like this over on
alt.security.alarms

Thanks - i'll have to confirm what type of panel it is first I think

Several people are trying to resurect interest in
uk.tech.electrconic-security, so you could give them
a chance too.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mike Tomlinson March 1st 09 05:18 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

In article , Colin
Wilson o.uk writes

Thanks - i'll have to confirm what type of panel it is first I think

Had a very similar problem when I moved into this flat. The panel is an
Optima XM. I just googled the instructions and they told me how to
reset the user code.

If your panel's an XM I can forward the instructions - just drop me an
email.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Jules[_2_] March 2nd 09 02:41 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:21:01 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do) - nice alarm with all
sorts of remote sensors, hooks up to the phone line, monitors the smoke
detectors too etc. but we don't know the code and it rings like a *******
every time we accidentally set a smoke alarm off :-)

Peter Andrews March 2nd 09 06:02 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

"Jules" wrote in message
ail.com...
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:21:01 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do) - nice alarm with all
sorts of remote sensors, hooks up to the phone line, monitors the smoke
detectors too etc. but we don't know the code and it rings like a *******
every time we accidentally set a smoke alarm off :-)

What alarm?

Peter

Colin Wilson March 2nd 09 08:16 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do)

From what I can tell, the alarm in this house has been out of
commission for some time, although some basics still appear to work
(it chirps when you restore power) - but the windows are all double
glazed, and have sensors that would have originally been on a wooden
frame dangling down...

Considering at least one of the glazed units is now of an age by which
it appears to have failed, it's not been "on" for a considerable
length of time.

Dave Plowman (News) March 2nd 09 11:15 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

In article . com,
Jules wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:21:01 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do) - nice alarm with all
sorts of remote sensors, hooks up to the phone line, monitors the smoke
detectors too etc. but we don't know the code and it rings like a *******
every time we accidentally set a smoke alarm off :-)

Wouldn't it be worth getting a man in? Unless of course it's a rental one.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Jules[_2_] March 3rd 09 02:39 PM

Any alarm wizards ?

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:02:40 +0000, Peter Andrews wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message
ail.com...
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:21:01 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do) - nice alarm with all
sorts of remote sensors, hooks up to the phone line, monitors the smoke
detectors too etc. but we don't know the code and it rings like a *******
every time we accidentally set a smoke alarm off :-)

What alarm?

Hmm, I had a quick look and it just says "Simon" on the case; no obvious
model number or data plate. It's been on the to-do list to take it down
and investigate for nearly a year now... maybe I'll motivate myself in the
next few days :-)

It's all owned by us rather than the security company, but the fees for
having all the remote monitoring activated were high enough that we've
never bothered. Be nice to change the code though just so we can
quieten it whenever we accidentally set it off via the smoke alarms...

(I suppose I could just disconnect it from the AC supply and let its
internal battery gradually go flat)

cheers

Jules