Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any alarm wizards ?

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

Is there a way to reset most alarms within the panel itself, i.e. by
putting a link across a couple of terminals ? (sure, it might ring
like a biatch for a while, but if I could reset / recode the
bugger...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk
wrote:
Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

Is there a way to reset most alarms within the panel itself, i.e. by
putting a link across a couple of terminals ? (sure, it might ring
like a biatch for a while, but if I could reset / recode the
bugger...)

On my old one you just power it down totally - ie remove the internal
battery.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

Is there a way to reset most alarms within the panel itself, i.e. by
putting a link across a couple of terminals ? (sure, it might ring
like a biatch for a while, but if I could reset / recode the
bugger...)

I got some very good help a few months back with a problem like this over on
alt.security.alarms

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got some very good help a few months back with a problem like this over on
alt.security.alarms

Thanks - i'll have to confirm what type of panel it is first I think
:-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:
I got some very good help a few months back with a problem like this over on
alt.security.alarms

Thanks - i'll have to confirm what type of panel it is first I think

Several people are trying to resurect interest in
uk.tech.electrconic-security, so you could give them
a chance too.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Colin
Wilson o.uk writes

Thanks - i'll have to confirm what type of panel it is first I think

Had a very similar problem when I moved into this flat. The panel is an
Optima XM. I just googled the instructions and they told me how to
reset the user code.

If your panel's an XM I can forward the instructions - just drop me an
email.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:21:01 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do) - nice alarm with all
sorts of remote sensors, hooks up to the phone line, monitors the smoke
detectors too etc. but we don't know the code and it rings like a *******
every time we accidentally set a smoke alarm off :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do)

From what I can tell, the alarm in this house has been out of
commission for some time, although some basics still appear to work
(it chirps when you restore power) - but the windows are all double
glazed, and have sensors that would have originally been on a wooden
frame dangling down...

Considering at least one of the glazed units is now of an age by which
it appears to have failed, it's not been "on" for a considerable
length of time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Jules wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:21:01 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do) - nice alarm with all
sorts of remote sensors, hooks up to the phone line, monitors the smoke
detectors too etc. but we don't know the code and it rings like a *******
every time we accidentally set a smoke alarm off :-)

Wouldn't it be worth getting a man in? Unless of course it's a rental one.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:02:40 +0000, Peter Andrews wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:21:01 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Just bought a house (yay!) and it has what looks like an Optima panel
(not had a real good look at it yet) with remote keypad.

The house was a respossession, so no info at all is available, so I
don't have a code for the alarm etc.

I sympathise - we had the same prob (& still do) - nice alarm with all
sorts of remote sensors, hooks up to the phone line, monitors the smoke
detectors too etc. but we don't know the code and it rings like a *******
every time we accidentally set a smoke alarm off :-)

What alarm?

Hmm, I had a quick look and it just says "Simon" on the case; no obvious
model number or data plate. It's been on the to-do list to take it down
and investigate for nearly a year now... maybe I'll motivate myself in the
next few days :-)

It's all owned by us rather than the security company, but the fees for
having all the remote monitoring activated were high enough that we've
never bothered. Be nice to change the code though just so we can
quieten it whenever we accidentally set it off via the smoke alarms...

(I suppose I could just disconnect it from the AC supply and let its
internal battery gradually go flat)

cheers

Jules