Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Legal minimums

Hi

I'd like to ask about a few legal minimums for a habitable space, I'm
probably out of date by now on this.

1. Joist sizes for 8' span
2. Wall thickness for bungalow, is 4" block plus insulation
acceptable?
3. Bedrooms/living rooms, can the 2 be combined into one room?
4. Is space heating legally required?
5. Minimum roof felt spec
6. Any minimums for a low floored loft that could only be storage
space- does it have to have stairs?

Thanks, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi

I'd like to ask about a few legal minimums for a habitable space, I'm
probably out of date by now on this.

1. Joist sizes for 8' span
2. Wall thickness for bungalow, is 4" block plus insulation
acceptable?
3. Bedrooms/living rooms, can the 2 be combined into one room?

provided you comply with the "escape" rules, yes (but why would you want to,
most people hate living like this)

4. Is space heating legally required?

Not by BR I would have thought

5. Minimum roof felt spec
6. Any minimums for a low floored loft that could only be storage

Other than whatever is technically required to build it, none

space- does it have to have stairs?

No

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi

I'd like to ask about a few legal minimums for a habitable space, I'm
probably out of date by now on this.

1. Joist sizes for 8' span
2. Wall thickness for bungalow, is 4" block plus insulation
acceptable?
3. Bedrooms/living rooms, can the 2 be combined into one room?
4. Is space heating legally required?
5. Minimum roof felt spec
6. Any minimums for a low floored loft that could only be storage
space- does it have to have stairs?

Thanks, NT

Also meant to ask about windows. Are they required? Or would a large
glazed entrance door to one room suffice? I really just need the legal
minimum to allow someone to stay in an outbuilding for a bit.

thanks, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 28, 10:32*pm, "tim....." wrote:
wrote in message

Hi

I'd like to ask about a few legal minimums for *a habitable space, I'm
probably out of date by now on this.

4. Is space heating legally required?

Not by BR I would have thought

Clearly not. The Passivehaus on Grand Designs a week and a half ago
had no space heating (the one with the arch roof made of tiles stuck
edge to edge with plaster of paris).

This does require *ridiculous* amounts of insulation, and a
ventilation system which recovers the heat from the exhaust air - but
you don't need space heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 5:27*pm, Owain wrote:
4. Is space heating legally required?

Yes. And the means (efficiency) of heating ties in with the insulation
you provide.

Surely not (see my reply to Tim). If you have sufficient insulation,
you don't need heating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

If it's only for a bit why not get a caravan? nth-hand statics can be
really cheap.

Yep. I once spent a day helping to smash one up and cart it away,
because the owner couldn't find anyone who wanted it even for nothing.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nms_drqofts )

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi

I'd like to ask about a few legal minimums for a habitable space, I'm
probably out of date by now on this.

1. Joist sizes for 8' span
2. Wall thickness for bungalow, is 4" block plus insulation
acceptable?
3. Bedrooms/living rooms, can the 2 be combined into one room?
4. Is space heating legally required?
5. Minimum roof felt spec
6. Any minimums for a low floored loft that could only be storage
space- does it have to have stairs?

Thanks, NT

anyone recommend any self-build groups? I' looking for a lot more
detail.

thanks, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Mar, 22:26, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Feb 28, 10:32 pm, "tim....." wrote:

wrote in message

Hi

I'd like to ask about a few legal minimums for a habitable space, I'm
probably out of date by now on this.

4. Is space heating legally required?

Not by BR I would have thought

Clearly not. The Passivehaus on Grand Designs a week and a half ago
had no space heating (the one with the arch roof made of tiles stuck
edge to edge with plaster of paris).

This does require *ridiculous* amounts of insulation, and a
ventilation system which recovers the heat from the exhaust air - but
you don't need space heating.

But interestingly it was built in France to egt round the hassles of
UK building regs. apparently, according to the programme, French
building regs don't apply to self-build.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Hi

I'd like to ask about a few legal minimums for a habitable space, I'm
probably out of date by now on this.

1. Joist sizes for 8' span

Think 6x3 herringboned would be ok.For a floor. Maybe less for a ceiling
to loft.

Don't think I've ever seen 6x3 used for a loft. I presume 2x4's ok,
but wanted to find out.

2. Wall thickness for bungalow, is 4" block plus insulation
acceptable?

You can do that, but outer brick, rockwool batts down the cavity and
celcon bloc is another way to go.

at about twice the price. Unless I'm mistaken the cheapest looks to be
either 4" blocks or a poured wall, rendered outside, polystyrene
insulation & PB inside.

Or drylin 4" of masonry with about
50mm or more celotex and studwork, or celotex/plasterboard.

3. Bedrooms/living rooms, can the 2 be combined into one room?

Why not?

I see they're called studios.

4. Is space heating legally required?

I don't think it is , no.

5. Minimum roof felt spec

?? what roof?

It will have one Steep pitched roof to make the loft usable, OSB
deck, felt, if allowed.

6. Any minimums for a low floored loft that could only be storage
space- does it have to have stairs?

Nope.
Ladder permissible for pure storage.

However if new build, consider making the roof 'habitable' with a proper
staircase.

By the time a stair case goes in there won't be much loft space left.
I'm looking at the legal minimum here in most respects, and making the
loft habitable incurs extra costs and design problems.

anyone recommend any self-build groups? I' looking for a lot more
detail.

Get a copy - a proper hard copy - of the current building regs, and
phone an architect and aks him how much he will charge for an hour of
his time to run you through the most erelavnt regulations, which you can
then read up on.

If this goes ahead, an architect would be involved down the line. I'm
costing it up atm, so need to get some basic info and figure out a few
final design details.

cheers, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Cost at £100 per sq ft and you should com in a bit under..that's for
basic decorated shell less fancy fittings.

cheers, NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If this goes ahead, an architect would be involved down the line. I'm
costing it up atm, so need to get some basic info and figure out a few
final design details.

Cost at 100 per sq ft and you should com in a bit under..that's for
basic decorated shell less fancy fittings.

That figure looks a fair bit out for this one.

NT

Out which way?

At a rough guess "it's a lot higher than the OP wants" ... which
doesn't mean it isn't correct :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
If this goes ahead, an architect would be involved down the line. I'm
costing it up atm, so need to get some basic info and figure out a few
final design details.
Cost at 100 per sq ft and you should com in a bit under..that's for
basic decorated shell less fancy fittings.
That figure looks a fair bit out for this one.
NT

Out which way?

At a rough guess "it's a lot higher than the OP wants" ... which
doesn't mean it isn't correct :-(

A nailed down to the bare bones is £60 a square.

Just a shell with not even final fix done maybe.