Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rough ceilings and artex...

Warning - I'm going say highly unfashionable things:

Having stripped some ceilings, I need a plan on making them look good again.

Skimming with plaster is out of the question (no money to get it done, and
I'm sure I can't manage to DIY it; walls yes, ceiling no).

I don't want to paper it again as it's also a fiddly job upside down and
it'll fall off anyway in the kitchen, with the steam from cooking.

So that last logical course of action is artex, with a weak texture,
like "broken leather", which is reasonably inoffensive, and paints and
cleans well.

But, before I go and order a load of bags, is there anything else I might
consider? eg is "artex" basically one product, or are there loads of makes
and types of similar stuff, but some are better than others? I basically
want "whipped cream" that "sticks like sh*t" and stays that way forever.

I assume it's best to PVA first, if the substrate has flaky bits?

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb, 10:45, Tim S wrote:
Warning - I'm going say highly unfashionable things:

Having stripped some ceilings, I need a plan on making them look good again.

Skimming with plaster is out of the question (no money to get it done, and
I'm sure I can't manage to DIY it; walls yes, ceiling no).

I don't want to paper it again as it's also a fiddly job upside down and
it'll fall off anyway in the kitchen, with the steam from cooking.

So that last logical course of action is artex, with a weak texture,
like "broken leather", which is reasonably inoffensive, and paints and
cleans well.

But, before I go and order a load of bags, is there anything else I might
consider?

Can't you whack up taper-edged plasterboard, tape, fill and sand,
instead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look at Polycell SmoothOver

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Have a look at Polycell SmoothOver

I just did - that looks very interesting. Have you used it before Adam?

If it sticks well, and is stable, that could be just the job. I could use it
on the walls too instead of lining paper. In most places the plasters
sound - but as rough as a hedgehog's arse.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Have a look at Polycell SmoothOver

I just did - that looks very interesting. Have you used it before Adam?

If it sticks well, and is stable, that could be just the job. I could use
it
on the walls too instead of lining paper. In most places the plasters
sound - but as rough as a hedgehog's arse.

Cheers

Tim

I have not used it but friends of mine have. I will take some pictures of
the finished surface if you want. It did take a bit of time to sand down.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Tim S" wrote in message
ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Have a look at Polycell SmoothOver

I just did - that looks very interesting. Have you used it before Adam?

If it sticks well, and is stable, that could be just the job. I could use
it
on the walls too instead of lining paper. In most places the plasters
sound - but as rough as a hedgehog's arse.

Cheers

Tim

I have not used it but friends of mine have. I will take some pictures of
the finished surface if you want. It did take a bit of time to sand down.

Adam

IME you really can't get a smooth finish without a trowel of some kind,
and the "SmartSmoother" seems to be just another version of that. A
standard plastering trowel is the same thing with a handle for ease of
use. Why complicate things?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble coughed up some electrons that declared:

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

Well... I don't know.

I've just watched some videos on plaster skimming and it looks
straightforward. I'm the sort of person who learns by watching, not reading
(other than numeric data like mixing ratios and specs).

Daughter's new room in the old kitchen is completely knackered and *must* be
skimmed, so I might as well have a go on that - the walls are fairly small,
basically flat; looks like 1/4 to 1/2 bucket per wall to me. And I won't
feel bad hacking it off for another go if it goes wrong.

Still dubious about trying a ceiling though - brushing on a bit of artex and
squidging it around seems more withing my capabilities.

If it goes well, I might consider skimming more walls. If not, the Polycell
product looks OK, but it's more expensive at 3 quid/m2 (estimates on
plaster suggest light plaster skimming is in the order of 30-50p per m2 of
material costs and textured lining paper about 1 quid/m2).

Nothing to do now but have a go. Will report back in a couple of weeks or
so.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastering and PVA Was: Rough ceilings and artex...

Quick stupid question:

If sealing powdery and/or flaky painted walls (but basically sound having
removed most of the offending loose bits) with PVA, should finish plaster
be applied:

a) Whilst the PVA is tacky;

or

b) When it's dried?

Ta

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Just do it!.. Its not rocket science at all .. just let the plaster know
that YOU are in charge of it, and not the other way around)..

Best tip is to get a good labourer .. one who can mix, clear up, wash
your tools and make tea)

Jobs a good 'un)....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S writes:
Quick stupid question:

If sealing powdery and/or flaky painted walls (but basically sound having
removed most of the offending loose bits) with PVA, should finish plaster
be applied:

a) Whilst the PVA is tacky;

or

b) When it's dried?

Both -- the PVA is performing two or three roles.

Firstly, it is stabalising the surface. For this, you dilute it
something like 1:5 with water, so it soaks into the surface and
binds it all together. You wait for this to dry.

Second, it's gluing the plaster to the wall -- finish coat doesn't
have much in the way of bonding about it, and if the underlaying
coat isn't something which the fine plaster will soak into, then
you'll need a glue to stick it on. For this, use PVA diluted 1:3
with water, and plaster onto it whilst still tacky. (It will
probably have dried by the time you finish getting the plaster on,
but that doesn't matter as the moisture in the plaster will wet
it enough to be tacky again.)

Thirdly, the PVA coats stop the underlaying layer sucking too
much water out of the plaster before it gets a chance to set.

Sometimes, I just do one PVA coat rather than the two.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Tim S writes:
[...]

Cool - thanks Andrew - very precise instructions

Cheers

Tim

PS

One of the plastering vids on the internet showed the bloke rollering the
PVA on. Wasn't clear whether he left it to dry though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

As a beginner, you can make the whole job much easier by using Artex
powder (or Gyproc joint filler) instead of plaster. I still find plaster
on a ceiling difficult to work with because I'm not fast enough, and
spend most of the time stopping it falling on the floor. I've finally
graduated to plaster on walls though :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

But first have a google to see if you can find anyone that has had success
using it and would recommend it.

I.e.

http://tinyurl.com/dfz7ol

http://tinyurl.com/d3232b

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Quick stupid question:

If sealing powdery and/or flaky painted walls (but basically sound having
removed most of the offending loose bits) with PVA, should finish plaster
be applied:

a) Whilst the PVA is tacky;

Covering artex is what plasterers refer to as a "glue and set" IIUC.
Basically roller on a coat of dilute PVA, and then plaster while it is
still wet.

or

b) When it's dried?

Only if it badly needs stabilising first and you need to PVA twice.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Tim S wrote:
Quick stupid question:

If sealing powdery and/or flaky painted walls (but basically sound having
removed most of the offending loose bits) with PVA, should finish plaster
be applied:

a) Whilst the PVA is tacky;

Covering artex is what plasterers refer to as a "glue and set" IIUC.
Basically roller on a coat of dilute PVA, and then plaster while it is
still wet.

IME PVA serves no purpose other than to seal a porous surface. Plaster
sticks pretty well to Artex, as it does to plastic buckets and other
seemingly unsuitable surfaces.

or

b) When it's dried?

Only if it badly needs stabilising first and you need to PVA twice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Tim S wrote:
Quick stupid question:

If sealing powdery and/or flaky painted walls (but basically sound
having removed most of the offending loose bits) with PVA, should finish
plaster be applied:

a) Whilst the PVA is tacky;

Covering artex is what plasterers refer to as a "glue and set" IIUC.
Basically roller on a coat of dilute PVA, and then plaster while it is
still wet.

IME PVA serves no purpose other than to seal a porous surface. Plaster
sticks pretty well to Artex, as it does to plastic buckets and other
seemingly unsuitable surfaces.

Might be getting a bit of the old chinese whispers he I'm not covering
artex - I'm looking to flatten damaged and part-painted walls and ceiling
using either plaster or artex (unfashionable I know!)

But the advice is useful - ta. Just didn't want you all wasting time helping
me to cover up lumpy artex, as I don't actually have any

Given the state of the walls (bare plaster, some painted and sound and some
painted and flaky) a good dose of PVA as a stabiliser for the powdery and
flaky bits seems in order - as that's about half the wall, I guess I might
as well just splat it on everywhere for good measure.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Tim S wrote:
Quick stupid question:

If sealing powdery and/or flaky painted walls (but basically sound
having
removed most of the offending loose bits) with PVA, should finish
plaster
be applied:

a) Whilst the PVA is tacky;

Covering artex is what plasterers refer to as a "glue and set" IIUC.
Basically roller on a coat of dilute PVA, and then plaster while it is
still wet.

IME PVA serves no purpose other than to seal a porous surface. Plaster
sticks pretty well to Artex, as it does to plastic buckets and other
seemingly unsuitable surfaces.

Depends on what the artex has been painted with, and also what pattern
it is.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

But the advice is useful - ta. Just didn't want you all wasting time helping
me to cover up lumpy artex, as I don't actually have any

yet ;-)

Given the state of the walls (bare plaster, some painted and sound and some
painted and flaky) a good dose of PVA as a stabiliser for the powdery and
flaky bits seems in order - as that's about half the wall, I guess I might
as well just splat it on everywhere for good measure.

Beware if you leave the plaster too shiny it can be a paint getting
emulsion to stick.

--
Cheers,

John.

Plastering onto artex Staffbull UK diy 10 February 25th 07 03:23 PM
Asbestos in Artex Ceilings circa 1979? Fred Finisterre UK diy 6 May 10th 06 10:31 AM
artex william callander UK diy 2 October 3rd 04 02:38 AM
Artex Pat Davis UK diy 34 October 31st 03 01:18 PM
Artex again David UK diy 4 October 9th 03 09:21 PM