Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki: Digital TV

Some folks still aren't digitised and dont know where to start. So...
another one to play with.

NT

There are several ways to receive digital TV. This is an introduction
to the options, which are covered in more depth in other articles.

==Digital TV==
New TVs often incorporate a digital tuner. These receive digital from
an existing house TV aerial, if the quality of the signal's good
enough. Digital requires much better signal quality than analogue.

==Set top box==
A set top box connects between the roof aerial and the TV. It converts
the digital signal from the aerial to analogue for the TV. The box is
connected to the tv by either a scart lead or co-ax, scart giving
slightly better quality. Some converter boxes only have scart output.
Set top boxes need a better signal than analogue TV, and perform best
with CAI approved co-ax wiring rather than old tv co-ax.

==Cable==
Cable TV is provided by various companies around the country. The
cable co installs the digital box, and this connects to your tv the
same way as a set top box. No roof aerial is needed.

==Satellite==
You need a satellite dish, satellite receiver, and a subscription for
the satellite service. Note that satellite frequency signals can only
be fed down the best quality co-ax, decades old tv co-ax is no use.

==Internet==
The final and rather limited TV source is the internet. You won't get
the main TV channels on the net though.
What's available:
* BBC iplayer: plays a selection of the most popular programs on
demand, up to 30 days after airing.
* Various video viewing sites, eg youtube, google, etc
* Masses of instructional videos on numerous sites, covering pretty
much any subject you can think of.

To watch much tv over the internet on your computer takes a lot of
bandwidth, a low download limit account won't do.

==See Also==
* [[:Category:TV|More TV articles]]
* [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Contents]]
* [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:TV]]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb, 22:09, wrote:
[...]

Is it worth mentioning things like; with Freeview you pay a one-off
for the box and that's it, although there are subscription options and
that you can PVRs for recording?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:09*pm, wrote:
Some folks still aren't digitised and dont know where to start. So...
another one to play with.

NT

There are several ways to receive digital TV. This is an introduction
to the options, which are covered in more depth in other articles.

==Digital TV==
New TVs often incorporate a digital tuner. These receive digital from
an existing house TV aerial, if the quality of the signal's good
enough. Digital requires much better signal quality than analogue.

Er, no. New TVs now almost all incorporate a digitgal terrestrial
tuner (aka Freeview). And digital doesn't require much better signal
than analogue, its just that analogue degrades gracefully into snow,
whereas digital might be either perfect or non-existant (the "digital
cliff").

==Set top box==
A set top box connects between the roof aerial and the TV. It converts
the digital signal from the aerial to analogue for the TV. The box is
connected to the tv by either a scart lead or co-ax, scart giving
slightly better quality. Some converter boxes only have scart output.
Set top boxes need a better signal than analogue TV, and perform best
with CAI approved co-ax wiring rather than old tv co-ax.

Set top boxes are also provided by Sky, which don't connect to an
aerial. Perhaps prefix with "Freeview". And why use "converter box"
when you've previously called it a set top box? See comments about
about digital / STBs needing a better signal than analogue. Perhaps
also better to refer to "CAI approved co-ax" as "CT100, PF100 etc"?

==Cable==
Cable TV is provided by various companies around the country. The
cable co installs the digital box, and this connects to your tv the
same way as a set top box. No roof aerial is needed.

==Satellite==
You need a satellite dish, satellite receiver, and a subscription for
the satellite service. Note that satellite frequency signals can only
be fed down the best quality co-ax, decades old tv co-ax is no use.

Not true at all. Freesat launched last year, and now some TV
manufacturers (e.g. Panasonic) are selling TVs with Freesat receivers
built in. So, yes you need a disk, no you don't need a satellite
receiver (not as a stand alone device anyway) and you certainly don't
need a subscription for the satellite service. I just watched BBC HD
on Freesat for free with no sub.

==Internet==
The final and rather limited TV source is the internet. You won't get
the main TV channels on the net though.
What's available:
* BBC iplayer: plays a selection of the most popular programs on
demand, up to 30 days after airing.
* Various video viewing sites, eg youtube, google, etc
* Masses of instructional videos on numerous sites, covering pretty
much any subject you can think of.

To watch much tv over the internet on your computer takes a lot of
bandwidth, a low download limit account won't do.

==See Also==
* [[:Category:TV|More TV articles]]
* [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Contents]]
* [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:TV]]

Hope comments of some help. Or do you prefer edits in the wiki
itself?

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cliff").

==Set top box==
A set top box connects between the roof aerial and the TV. It converts
the digital signal from the aerial to analogue for the TV. The box is
connected to the tv by either a scart lead or co-ax, scart giving
slightly better quality. Some converter boxes only have scart output.
Set top boxes need a better signal than analogue TV, and perform best
with CAI approved co-ax wiring rather than old tv co-ax.

I think MOST have only a SCART output - so if you don't have a SCART socket
on your TV make sure you buy a STB with a RF (Aerial) output socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Digital TV

wrote in message
Some folks still aren't digitised and dont know where to start. So...
another one to play with.

NT

There are several ways to receive digital TV. This is an introduction
to the options, which are covered in more depth in other articles.

==Digital TV==
New TVs often incorporate a digital tuner. These receive digital from
an existing house TV aerial, if the quality of the signal's good
enough. Digital requires much better signal quality than analogue.

That said, digital reception is less affected by interference and ghosting
than analogue, so changing to Digital Terrestrial TV may improve reception
across some channels.

==Set top box==
A set top box connects between the roof aerial and the TV. It converts
the digital signal from the aerial to analogue for the TV. The box is
connected to the tv by either a scart lead or co-ax, scart giving
slightly better quality. Some converter boxes only have scart output.
Set top boxes need a better signal than analogue TV, and perform best
with CAI approved co-ax wiring rather than old tv co-ax.

It is quite likely that if you are receiving good analogue reception, you
will not need to replace aerial or cables.

Most set top boxes include an Electronic Program Guide that gives details of
forthcoming programs. EPGs generally come with 7 day guides. Set top boxes
with record facilities are available; of these, dual tuner machines allow
you to record one or two channels simultaneously. Due to the way that the
digital signals are transmitted, some recording boxes may allow you to watch
a third channel while recording 2 others (which channels are available will
depend on the signals being recorded). Hard disc recorders generally have a
capacity of 1hour recording time per 2 Gigabytes of disc space.

==Cable==
Cable TV is provided by various companies around the country. The
cable co installs the digital box, and this connects to your tv the
same way as a set top box. No roof aerial is needed.

==Satellite==
You need a satellite dish, satellite receiver, and a subscription for
the satellite service. Note that satellite frequency signals can only
be fed down the best quality co-ax, decades old tv co-ax is no use.

Subcription free satellite services are available for which the only payment
required is the initial purchase and installation of the satellite dish and
box. Freesat and Freesat from Sky are separate services (and may offer
different channels - ** this needs checking **).

==Internet==
The final and rather limited TV source is the internet. You won't get
the main TV channels on the net though.
What's available:
* BBC iplayer: plays a selection of the most popular programs on
demand, up to 30 days after airing.
* Various video viewing sites, eg youtube, google, etc
* Masses of instructional videos on numerous sites, covering pretty
much any subject you can think of.

To watch much tv over the internet on your computer takes a lot of
bandwidth, a low download limit account won't do.

==See Also==
* [[:Category:TV|More TV articles]]
* [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Contents]]
* [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:TV]]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:09*pm, wrote:

==Digital TV==
New TVs often incorporate a digital tuner. These receive digital from
an existing house TV aerial, if the quality of the signal's good
enough. Digital requires much better signal quality than analogue.

Er, no. New TVs now almost all incorporate a digitgal terrestrial
tuner (aka Freeview). And digital doesn't require much better signal
than analogue, its just that analogue degrades gracefully into snow,
whereas digital might be either perfect or non-existant (the "digital
cliff").

It translates to the same thing. Less than perfect analogue reception
is fine to watch, but the same system can fail to give any digital
channels, or just one mux, and the picture problems are very
disruptive to viewing.

Not true at all. Freesat launched last year, and now some TV
manufacturers (e.g. Panasonic) are selling TVs with Freesat receivers
built in. So, yes you need a disk, no you don't need a satellite
receiver (not as a stand alone device anyway) and you certainly don't
need a subscription for the satellite service. I just watched BBC HD
on Freesat for free with no sub.

how does freesat work then? I've not played with it

Hope comments of some help. Or do you prefer edits in the wiki
itself?

I'm just draughting something, nothing on the wiki yet. Cheers,

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some folks still aren't digitised and dont know where to start. So...
another one to play with.

I would have though Bill's, Carpy's et al site covers aspects of this
rather well, so a fairly prominent link is in order...

http://www.paras.org.uk/

There are several ways to receive digital TV. This is an introduction
to the options, which are covered in more depth in other articles.

==Digital TV==

Integrated Digital TV - IDTV seem to be the current phrases.

New TVs often incorporate a digital tuner. These receive digital from
an existing house TV aerial, if the quality of the signal's good
enough. Digital requires much better signal quality than analogue.

That last bit is too vague to be useful - what do you mean by "quality"?

For example a DTV system can display a perfect picture in the presence
of multipath signals that would make analogue unmatchable.

Perhaps the important thing to get across is that they are different,
and good performance of one is not a guarantee of equal performance of
the other (at least until DSO)

==Set top box==
A set top box connects between the roof aerial and the TV. It converts

loft aerial?

the digital signal from the aerial to analogue for the TV. The box is
connected to the tv by either a scart lead or co-ax, scart giving
slightly better quality. Some converter boxes only have scart output.
Set top boxes need a better signal than analogue TV, and perform best
with CAI approved co-ax wiring rather than old tv co-ax.

==Cable==
Cable TV is provided by various companies around the country. The
cable co installs the digital box, and this connects to your tv the
same way as a set top box. No roof aerial is needed.

==Satellite==
You need a satellite dish, satellite receiver, and a subscription for
the satellite service. Note that satellite frequency signals can only
be fed down the best quality co-ax, decades old tv co-ax is no use.

Need to cover Freesat, and also Freesat from Sky...

==Internet==
The final and rather limited TV source is the internet. You won't get
the main TV channels on the net though.

ITV has a "watch it live" capability. As does Five IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

how does freesat work then? I've not played with it

Three ways:

With a "Freesat" branded box/PVR - buy off the shelf and plug into a
dish. It has its own non sky EPG (although uses the same sat). Also has
the option of some HD content with the right box.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Freesat from sky

Use a sky supplied box with a freesat from sky card - one off payment of
about £20 for the card or more with the hardware. Gets you all the free
to air channels plus the few free to view ones

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/

Sky box - no card

Reuse any cast off sky box, gets all the free to air ones only.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

As does the BBC now - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive/ for example.

What's available:
* BBC iplayer: plays a selection of the most popular programs on
demand, up to 30 days after airing.

They also have some series available - using something is currently airing
you can go back and "catch up" on the previous episodes (older than 30 days)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Some folks still aren't digitised and dont know where to start.

Sounds like the author of this article is in the same position.

Apart from the errors and omissions mentioned by others there is no mention
of High Definition TV. (HDTV)

Many new TV sets carry a 'HD Ready' or 'Full HD' label.
Consumers may think that once they have the set they can get HDTV via their
aerial. They can't.
HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

Television reception by roof top aerial (known as terrestrial broadcasting)
has been the norm, but now that all national channels and more, plus HDTV
are available by satellite, many viewers, especially in areas of difficult
reception, would be better served by replacing their aerial with a satellite
dish.

Roger R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
New TVs often incorporate a digital tuner. These receive digital from
an existing house TV aerial, if the quality of the signal's good
enough. Digital requires much better signal quality than analogue.

Depending on area, the FreeView frequencies the aerial has to receive may
lie outside those it was designed for. In rather the same way as Ch5. So
it may need replacing with a wideband type. But try first before replacing.

BTW, your original bit is misleading. The aerial doesn't care what type of
signal it is receiving - only the strength and quality of the RF carrier.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 10:09*am, "Roger R" wrote:
wrote in message

Some folks still aren't digitised and dont know where to start.

Sounds like the author of this article is in the same position.

Apart from the errors and omissions mentioned by others there is no mention
of High Definition TV. *(HDTV)

Many new TV sets carry a 'HD Ready' or 'Full HD' label.
Consumers may think that once they have the set they can get HDTV via their
aerial. *They can't.
HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

But WILL be available on Freeview (with the appropriate box) in the
not too distant future.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger R wrote:
Apart from the errors and omissions mentioned by others there is no
mention of High Definition TV. (HDTV)

Many new TV sets carry a 'HD Ready' or 'Full HD' label. Consumers may
think that once they have the set they can get HDTV via their aerial.
They can't. HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

At the moment.

Television reception by roof top aerial (known as terrestrial
broadcasting) has been the norm, but now that all national channels and
more, plus HDTV are available by satellite, many viewers, especially in
areas of difficult reception, would be better served by replacing their
aerial with a satellite dish.

Satellite reception can be effected by weather more so than terrestrial.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Roger R wrote:

Many new TV sets carry a 'HD Ready' or 'Full HD' label.
Consumers may think that once they have the set they can get HDTV via their
aerial. They can't.
HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

Not quite true, also cable - with suitable box.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Roger R wrote:
Apart from the errors and omissions mentioned by others there is no
mention of High Definition TV. (HDTV)

Many new TV sets carry a 'HD Ready' or 'Full HD' label. Consumers may
think that once they have the set they can get HDTV via their aerial.
They can't. HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

At the moment.

Television reception by roof top aerial (known as terrestrial
broadcasting) has been the norm, but now that all national channels and
more, plus HDTV are available by satellite, many viewers, especially in
areas of difficult reception, would be better served by replacing their
aerial with a satellite dish.

Satellite reception can be effected by weather more so than terrestrial.

Have you got any evidence to back that up Dave?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Feb 26, 10:09 am, "Roger R" wrote:
HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

But WILL be available on Freeview (with the appropriate box) in the
not too distant future.

How distant?

Not at the digital switch over in 2012, as far as I know.

Roger R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Satellite reception can be effected by weather more so than terrestrial.

Have you got any evidence to back that up Dave?..

The recent snow proved that here.

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger R wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Feb 26, 10:09 am, "Roger R" wrote:
HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

But WILL be available on Freeview (with the appropriate box) in the
not too distant future.

How distant?

Not at the digital switch over in 2012, as far as I know.

No, before then. In the Granada region from the end of this year, and
rolling out nationally until the end of 2012.

--
Mark

http://www.paras.org.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:49:13 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Satellite reception can be effected by weather more so than
terrestrial.

Have you got any evidence to back that up Dave?..

The recent snow proved that here.

The only time we've had trouble with DSAT reception is when the dish has
had 1/2" of solid ice all over the face. Quick whack with a broom handle
soon got it off though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 1:56*pm, "Roger R" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...
On Feb 26, 10:09 am, "Roger R" wrote:

HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

But WILL be available on Freeview (with the appropriate box) in the
not too distant future.

How distant?

Not at the digital switch over in 2012, as far as I know.

At (or before) the digital switch over in 2012, as far as I know.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Satellite reception can be effected by weather more so than
terrestrial.

Have you got any evidence to back that up Dave?..

The recent snow proved that here.

The only time we've had trouble with DSAT reception is when the dish has
had 1/2" of solid ice all over the face. Quick whack with a broom handle
soon got it off though.

Could well have been ice. Or simply full of snow. But it pretty well
stopped working whereas FreeView was fine.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Roger R wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Feb 26, 10:09 am, "Roger R" wrote:
HD broadcasts are ONLY available on satellite.

But WILL be available on Freeview (with the appropriate box) in the
not too distant future.

How distant?

Not at the digital switch over in 2012, as far as I know.

No, before then. In the Granada region from the end of this year, and
rolling out nationally until the end of 2012.

Thanks for the update.

Roger R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Satellite reception can be effected by weather more so than
terrestrial.

Have you got any evidence to back that up Dave?..

The recent snow proved that here.

The only time we've had trouble with DSAT reception is when the dish has
had 1/2" of solid ice all over the face. Quick whack with a broom handle
soon got it off though.

Could well have been ice. Or simply full of snow. But it pretty well
stopped working whereas FreeView was fine.

Not a problem her at all on any dish

The only time the weather did a nasty with satellite reception was when
the mutter of all thunderclouds came over one summer and knocked out
most anything from up above even GPS signals which aren't that strong
but Sky went as did the feed to the local TV TX for channel 5.. As well
as the IRN news!..

Never seen a thundercloud like it.. almost solid black!

So not that bad compared to those nice old ducting highs..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Some folks still aren't digitised and dont know where to start. So...
another one to play with.

NT

This was a only 5 minute article originally, and I'm going to be
toobusy to do significant work on it for a bit, so I've got a
practical suggestion. Why dont those of you that have offered input
just write a section, and I'll paste them in?

Satellite, sky & freesat I know little about, so those need doing.
Below is what I've got so far...

Regards, NT

There are several ways to receive digital TV. This is an introduction
to the options, which are covered in more depth in other articles.

==Ways to receive digital TV==
===Digital TV===
New TVs usually incorporate a digital tuner (IDTV). These receive
digital from an existing house TV aerial, if the quality of the
signal's good enough.

Digital requires better signal quality than analogue. If your analogue
reception is good, you'll usually be ok, but if its less than great,
probably not. (There are exceptions to this.)

===Set top box===
A set top box (STB) connects between the roof aerial and the TV. It
converts the digital signal from the aerial to analogue for the TV.
The box is connected to the tv by either a scart lead or co-ax, scart
giving slightly better quality. Most of these converter boxes only
have scart output, and only work with TVs with a scart connector. Set
top boxes need a better signal than analogue TV, and perform better
with CAI approved co-ax wiring than old tv co-ax.

===Cable===
Cable TV is available in towns & cities around the country. The cable
co installs the digital box, and this connects to your tv the same way
as a set top box. No roof aerial is needed.

===Satellite===
You need a satellite dish & satellite receiver, and in some cases a
subscription for the satellite service. Note that satellite frequency
signals can only be fed down satellite compatible co-ax, decades old
tv co-ax performs very poorly at satellite frequncies.

===Internet===
The final and rather limited TV source is the internet. You won't get
the main TV channels on the net though.
What's available:
* BBC iplayer: plays a selection of the most popular programs on
demand, up to 30 days after airing.
* Some itv programs are also available
* Various video viewing sites, eg youtube, google, etc
* Masses of instructional videos on numerous sites, covering pretty
much any subject you can think of.

To watch much tv over the internet on your computer takes a lot of
data, a low download limit account won't do.

==Content providers==
===Freeview==
With freeview set top boxes or TVs, you buy the box/tv, but there are
no ongoing costs, no contract, no subscription. You just plug it in
and watch.

===Sky===
Pay per month

===Virgin===
Pay per month cable service, choice of how many channels, with
differing prices. Pay per view content also available on all packages.
Some customers can get cable TV at no extra cost if they also have
other services from Virgin.

===Freesat===

==See Also==
* [[:Category:TV|More TV articles]]
* [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Contents]]
* [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:TV]]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This was a only 5 minute article originally, and I'm going to be
toobusy to do significant work on it for a bit, so I've got a
practical suggestion. Why dont those of you that have offered input
just write a section, and I'll paste them in?

Satellite, sky & freesat I know little about, so those need doing.
Below is what I've got so far...

ok, done. I have created the draft article and included most of the
comments from this thread.

Have a read and hack about with:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Digital_TV

I guess a separate article on DIY aerial and sat dish installs is in
order, and also one on HDTV.

I am happy to have a pop at the aerial one; anyone else fancy a stab at
one of the others?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:49:13 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Satellite reception can be effected by weather more so than
terrestrial.

Have you got any evidence to back that up Dave?..

The recent snow proved that here.

The only time we've had trouble with DSAT reception is when the dish has
had 1/2" of solid ice all over the face. Quick whack with a broom handle
soon got it off though.

The flat face of the LNB also permits a build up of ice/snow.
Perhaps there is a market for clip on plastic snow shrouds for LNB's !

Roger R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:15:15 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

The flat face of the LNB also permits a build up of ice/snow.
Perhaps there is a market for clip on plastic snow shrouds for LNB's !

There are sort of pointed ones around ALPS make them IIRC which don't
seem to suffer that problem..

Well not much of market. We've only had one maybe two outages due to ice
build up in several winters and we do get rather more ice and snow than
most.

When the south had ground to halt with a measly 6 inches the other week we
had 2 foot of the stuff and a couple of ice storms. It's the latter that
are the worst, everything becomes coated in a thick solid ice glaze.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message news:a4d47d51-6d30-4fd6-910e-
===Internet===
The final and rather limited TV source is the internet. You won't get
the main TV channels on the net though.
What's available:
* BBC iplayer: plays a selection of the most popular programs on
demand, up to 30 days after airing.
* Some itv programs are also available
* Various video viewing sites, eg youtube, google, etc
* Masses of instructional videos on numerous sites, covering pretty
much any subject you can think of.

To watch much tv over the internet on your computer takes a lot of
data, a low download limit account won't do.

Rubbish

All the main channels (in fact most of the decent Freeview offerings) are
available in pretty decent quality from http://www.tvcatchup.com/ for
starters .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:49:13 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Satellite reception can be effected by weather more so than
terrestrial.

Have you got any evidence to back that up Dave?..

The recent snow proved that here.

The only time we've had trouble with DSAT reception is when the dish has
had 1/2" of solid ice all over the face. Quick whack with a broom handle
soon got it off though.

Had a microwave dish in Lombok where wasps had built a nest on it

needed a bit more than a broom handle to shift that

--
geoff