Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cycle service - Derailleur set up

First of a couple of posts - ... having left my cycle alone for many years
.... time to start using it again.
Everything currently works, but think it prudent to give the thing a service
..... bike had a thick layer of sawdust ... been a bit near my sawbench :-)

It's probably ancient in Technology terms now .... but was state of the art
when I bought it.
Its a Muddy Fox ... 21 speed Mountain Bike.

Shimano ST index shift
Front and rear derailleur are Shimano 500LX
Chain Rings are Shimano 400LX (states narrow chain only on them)

2 Questions ....

#1 What is the best procedure/ sequence for setting up the adjustment on
Front & rear sets

#2 To remove the chain for full clean, I assume I have to use a link
extractor, which I have obtained.. can I use this on any link, does it
weaken the link doing this ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:36:32 -0000, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

First of a couple of posts - ... having left my cycle alone for many years
... time to start using it again.

news:uk.rec.cycling is that way ------
or this way
--------

or http://forum.ctc.org.uk/

or try news:rec.bicycles.misc or news:rec.bicycles.tech

Posted to uk.d-i-y

uk.rec.cycling would be better, but as were he

#1 What is the best procedure/ sequence for setting up the adjustment on
Front & rear sets

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53

#2 To remove the chain for full clean, I assume I have to use a link
extractor, which I have obtained.. can I use this on any link, does it
weaken the link doing this ?

Check it doesn't already have a powerlink on it before splitting it,
officially splitting a shimano chain needs a oversized fixing pin to join
it again. Might be easier to clean it on the bike, or get hold of a
powerlink to re-join it afterwards.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

First of a couple of posts - ... having left my cycle alone for many years
... time to start using it again.
Everything currently works, but think it prudent to give the thing a service
.... bike had a thick layer of sawdust ... been a bit near my sawbench :-)

For all things related to cycle maintenance, you cannot go wrong by
reading Sheldon Browns pages:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html#articles

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

First of a couple of posts - ... having left my cycle alone for many
years
... time to start using it again.

news:uk.rec.cycling is that way ------
or this way
--------

OK ... I thought this bike work was very much a DIY topic .... but I'll go
there and try

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve
writes

#1 What is the best procedure/ sequence for setting up the adjustment on
Front & rear sets

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53

#2 To remove the chain for full clean, I assume I have to use a link
extractor, which I have obtained.. can I use this on any link, does it
weaken the link doing this ?

Check it doesn't already have a powerlink on it before splitting it,
officially splitting a shimano chain needs a oversized fixing pin to join
it again. Might be easier to clean it on the bike, or get hold of a
powerlink to re-join it afterwards.

If it's been lying around a while (which as it's a 21 speed it sounds
like it has been) then it's unlikley to have a powerlink unless a chain
with one was put on later. The Shimano chain with the silly special pin
is more of a possibility though
--
Chris French

#1 * What is the best procedure/ sequence for setting up the adjustment on
Front & rear sets

#2 * To remove the chain for full clean, I assume I have to use a link
extractor, which I have obtained.. can I use this on any link, does it
weaken the link doing this ?

Another good site for bike repairs is this :-

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/

You're absolutely rigth in coming to UK DIY for anything requiring
repair as the knowledge base here is enormous, but the advice to go to
dedicated sites is the right one as the real 'geeks' are there who
will know everything!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#1 What is the best procedure/ sequence for setting up the adjustment on
Front & rear sets

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53

Remember to check the derailleurs for wear before adjusting them. If
they are worn they'll need replacing.

#2 To remove the chain for full clean, I assume I have to use a link
extractor, which I have obtained.. can I use this on any link, does it
weaken the link doing this ?

Check it doesn't already have a powerlink on it before splitting it,
officially splitting a shimano chain needs a oversized fixing pin to join
it again. Might be easier to clean it on the bike, or get hold of a
powerlink to re-join it afterwards.

You could use one of these instead:
http://www.parktool.com/products/det...t=19&item=CG-2 or a
cheaper alternative.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob G" wrote in message

You're absolutely rigth in coming to UK DIY for anything requiring
repair as the knowledge base here is enormous, but the advice to go to
dedicated sites is the right one as the real 'geeks' are there who
will know everything!

I won't mention geeks to them though :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Galet" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:
Its a Muddy Fox ... 21 speed Mountain Bike.

I thought I was the only one with a Muddy Fox these days ;-).
Mine is white, quite old but perfectly fine.

Mine is Lime Green, and at least 21 years old .... and to be honest still
going fine, just realise I need to put some service work on it to keep it
that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:

First of a couple of posts - ... having left my cycle alone for many
years
... time to start using it again.
Everything currently works, but think it prudent to give the thing a
service
.... bike had a thick layer of sawdust ... been a bit near my sawbench
:-)

For all things related to cycle maintenance, you cannot go wrong by
reading Sheldon Browns pages:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html#articles

Update .....I did use Sheldon's guides .... front shift was causing me all
sorts of problems.

It would shift up 1- 2 - 3 ok but would not shift to centre cog on way
down.
Upper & lower limits were correct, height & parallel cage were set.

Eventually found the barrel adjuster was the problem ... where this screws
into the STI shift mechanism on handlebars ... the 6mm male thread has
stripped .. and threaded hole damaged.
Causing erratic cable tension.

Managed to re-thread both ... reassembled ... then all was useless, up
shifting not working at all.

Stripped again and found one of the helical springs in the shift mechanism
had become unhooked .... fully cleaned, lubed and reassembled ... now
everything is shifting as sweet as a nut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Galet" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:
Its a Muddy Fox ... 21 speed Mountain Bike.

I thought I was the only one with a Muddy Fox these days ;-).
Mine is white, quite old but perfectly fine.

Mine is a Lime Green Courier Comp ..... and looking as good as new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes"
saying something like:

I thought I was the only one with a Muddy Fox these days ;-).
Mine is white, quite old but perfectly fine.

Mine is a Lime Green Courier Comp ..... and looking as good as new.

Pah.
Phear the mighty Claude Butler.