Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rennovation once over

Hi all,

I'm planning on looking at a renovation project this weekend and not
sure who I should take along for advice.

Personally I'd say it was a moderate rennovation from what I've found
so far ie. requires full set of windows/doors, new heating/hot water
system, insulation all round walls, floors, roof and a complete
decoration but structure appears to be reasonably sound. It's a
repossession so am expecting damage and/or cosmetic issues.

Obviously in the longer term a full structural survey will be
completed but I don't want to spend oodles of money without a initial
sucking of teeth from someone and a ball park figure of costs to
rennovate.

So who should I take along with me?

A builder for pricing? An architect for planning and/or pricing? A
surveyor for any issues plus pricing or planning?

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Brad
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bradsalmon wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning on looking at a renovation project this weekend and not
sure who I should take along for advice.

Personally I'd say it was a moderate rennovation from what I've found
so far ie. requires full set of windows/doors, new heating/hot water
system, insulation all round walls, floors, roof and a complete
decoration but structure appears to be reasonably sound. It's a
repossession so am expecting damage and/or cosmetic issues.

new set of windows and doors = 3 - 5K, depending on how many, what styles
etc
new boiler and CH/HW system = 2 - 4K
insulation to outer walls = 4 - 600 (CWI injection)

I've no idea what you mean 'foors, roof'.....new roof will be approx 3K, if
you just mean you want it insulated, about a tenth of that....if you choose
to have solid floors ripped up downstairs and insulated underneath, this
will be fairly expensive, and you'll never recoup the cost in saved heat.

Decor for full house, approx 2 - 2.5K

But don't forget to add on plastering work, plus a large chunk for unforseen
work that *will* be required.

Obviously in the longer term a full structural survey will be
completed but I don't want to spend oodles of money without a initial
sucking of teeth from someone and a ball park figure of costs to
rennovate.

So who should I take along with me?

A builder for pricing? An architect for planning and/or pricing? A
surveyor for any issues plus pricing or planning?

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Brad

The only one you've mentioned who is capable of giving you a price is a
builder - the others work on prices out of a book, which is usually 2 - 300%
higher than in reality.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
bradsalmon wrote:
[...]

Prices depend who you get to do the work. Joe the handyman and the
type of people insurance companies use are very different, the latter
is a lot more money.

Agreed, builder is the relevant one there.

NT

Bungalow Rennovation David UK diy 8 October 12th 06 08:15 AM
Floor joists in attic rennovation: 2x10x20? [email protected] Home Ownership 7 July 13th 05 03:52 AM