Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFL Bulbs Is this costing me money

A few months back I asked about flickering low energy bulbs when they are
switched off and I was pointed to this:

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk:80/ind...itle=CFL_Lamps
Occasional flashing
In exceptional cases a CFL will flash occasionally when switched off. This
is due to wiring capacitance passing a tiny current, which gradually charges
the CFL's reservoir capacitor, and after a while it attmpts to start, giving
a momentary flicker.

2 conditions tend to cause this:

a.. an especially long switch wire run
b.. supply switched on the neutral instead of live pole
The question is, is the energy being consumed when the lights supposed to be
off costing me money, ie is it clocking up on my electricity meter. If I am
getting this for nothing fair enough but if I am paying for it what is the
point of a low energy bulb that consumes energy when it is switched off. In
my case it is a constant flicker on three lights that have an light
sensitive security switch.

Kevin