Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning wool carpets.

Hello,

We are about to clean the carpets in our house which are all woollen,
we have a Vax carpet cleaner which does a good job of cleaning
carpets, however I was wondering if you can use hot water like you
would normally, also would a quality shampoo give much better results
than the Vax AAA shampoo?

Our Vax also has a pre treating wand so I could also apply any
pretreatment should it be necessary.

I was thinking of applying the appropriate Prochem pre spray then
agitating the carpet with a brush and finally using hot water mixed
with Prochem wool safe carpet cleaner to clean the carpet. I will
remove as much moisture as possible and have the gas fire and gas
central heating running.

Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
We are about to clean the carpets in our house which are all woollen,
we have a Vax carpet cleaner which does a good job of cleaning
carpets, however I was wondering if you can use hot water like you
would normally, also would a quality shampoo give much better results
than the Vax AAA shampoo?

I can't comment on the advisability of this other than to point out that
when I've used our Vax with shampoo other than the AAA stuff they
reccommend, it was hopeless, as the waste chamber quickly filled with
foam which caused the float valve shut-off thingy to keep operating long
before the chamber was full.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 17:06, Lobster wrote:

I can't comment on the advisability of this other than to point out that
when I've used our Vax with shampoo other than the AAA stuff they
reccommend, it was hopeless, as the waste chamber quickly filled with
foam

Which sort of Vax was that? The little Bissel-like ones, or the
bigger Dyson-like ones like my new 124? I've a bottle of Rug Doctor
shampoo here which I'll be having a go with soon and will report
back...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 17:06, Lobster wrote:
David wrote:
We are about to clean the carpets in our house which are all woollen,
we have a Vax carpet cleaner which does a good job of cleaning
carpets, however I was wondering if you can use hot water like you
would normally, also would a quality shampoo give much better results
than the Vax AAA shampoo?

I can't comment on the advisability of this other than to point out that
when I've used our Vax with shampoo other than the AAA stuff they
reccommend, it was hopeless, as the waste chamber quickly filled with
foam which caused the float valve shut-off thingy to keep operating long
before the chamber was full.

David

Mine doesn't do that, it's the Vax Rapide V026-PT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Hello,

We are about to clean the carpets in our house which are all woollen,
we have a Vax carpet cleaner which does a good job of cleaning
carpets, however I was wondering if you can use hot water like you
would normally, also would a quality shampoo give much better results
than the Vax AAA shampoo?

Our Vax also has a pre treating wand so I could also apply any
pretreatment should it be necessary.

I was thinking of applying the appropriate Prochem pre spray then
agitating the carpet with a brush and finally using hot water mixed
with Prochem wool safe carpet cleaner to clean the carpet. I will
remove as much moisture as possible and have the gas fire and gas
central heating running.

I was about to post a link to the carpet cleaning FAQ, and then realised
it was not in the Wiki yet ;-)

So it is now:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...t_Cleaning_FAQ

(If TMH Dave is reading, do you want to check that for accuracy?)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Hello,

We are about to clean the carpets in our house which are all woollen,
we have a Vax carpet cleaner which does a good job of cleaning
carpets, however I was wondering if you can use hot water like you
would normally, also would a quality shampoo give much better results
than the Vax AAA shampoo?

Our Vax also has a pre treating wand so I could also apply any
pretreatment should it be necessary.

I was thinking of applying the appropriate Prochem pre spray then
agitating the carpet with a brush and finally using hot water mixed
with Prochem wool safe carpet cleaner to clean the carpet. I will
remove as much moisture as possible and have the gas fire and gas
central heating running.

Thank you.

I'd be interested to hear if you know what can get an orange peel stain out
of a wool carpet?

It's the only stain we've never been able to budge after seemingly trying
anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

Its pretty much there John, a few minor changes which I'll get too as soon
as I have a spare minute.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Hello,

We are about to clean the carpets in our house which are all woollen,
we have a Vax carpet cleaner which does a good job of cleaning
carpets, however I was wondering if you can use hot water like you
would normally, also would a quality shampoo give much better results
than the Vax AAA shampoo?

Warm, definately not hot. And yes a trade rated detergent would prolly give
better results. I'm assuming that your VAX is a spray/extract type machine?

Our Vax also has a pre treating wand so I could also apply any
pretreatment should it be necessary.

Thats the pro way of doing the job.

I was thinking of applying the appropriate Prochem pre spray then
agitating the carpet with a brush and finally using hot water mixed
with Prochem wool safe carpet cleaner to clean the carpet. I will
remove as much moisture as possible and have the gas fire and gas
central heating running.

Ideal method, but warm water, not hot. The Prochem range is the mutts nuts,
you won't find better.

Ventilation drys carpet. Open all the windows, get some air moving.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
David wrote:
We are about to clean the carpets in our house which are all woollen,
we have a Vax carpet cleaner which does a good job of cleaning
carpets, however I was wondering if you can use hot water like you
would normally, also would a quality shampoo give much better results
than the Vax AAA shampoo?

I can't comment on the advisability of this other than to point out
that when I've used our Vax with shampoo other than the AAA stuff they
reccommend, it was hopeless, as the waste chamber quickly filled with
foam which caused the float valve shut-off thingy to keep operating
long before the chamber was full.

Possibly you used a high foam crystalising shampoo instead of a low foam
extraction shampoo.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RedOnRed wrote:
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Try the stain devils stuff from a supermarket.
http://www.acdoco.co.uk/stainclinic/step1.asp

Look for one that copes with dye type stains; tea, wine etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 23:21, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

I ordered the Prochem Wool safe liquid and the stain remover which is
also wool safe, after seeing the price for the Prochem wool safe pre
spray I think I'll just have to make do with the Vax pre treatment
solution.

I ordered these chemicals from cleanstore.co.uk yesterday and there
should arrive today.

So the best way to dry the carpets would be to open the French doors
and set up a fan in the room?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 17:53, Andy Dingley wrote:

Which sort of Vax was that? *The little Bissel-like ones, or the
bigger Dyson-like ones like my new 124? * I've a bottle of Rug Doctor
shampoo here which I'll be having a go with soon and will report
back...

Just to confirm, Rug Doctor shampoo works fine in a Vax 124 without
excess foam problems.

Didn't get the carpet clean, but then we're talking about leaky roof
damage and I think it's beyond help anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 18 Feb, 17:06, Lobster wrote:

I can't comment on the advisability of this other than to point out that
when I've used our Vax with shampoo other than the AAA stuff they
reccommend, it was hopeless, as the waste chamber quickly filled with
foam

Which sort of Vax was that? The little Bissel-like ones, or the
bigger Dyson-like ones like my new 124? I've a bottle of Rug Doctor
shampoo here which I'll be having a go with soon and will report
back...

It's a V-026 - this one:
http://www.vax.co.uk/vax/vacuum-cleaners-range/carpet-washers/rapide-deluxe/Vax-V-026-Rapide

....and I still have the bottle of shampoo which foamed up the works and
was utterly useless:

Qualtex "Carpet and Upholstery Shampoo with Defoamer" (sic!)
"...suitable for all vacuum cleaners with carpet and upholstery washing
facility

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

Pre spray with the wool safe liquid.

I ordered these chemicals from cleanstore.co.uk yesterday and there
should arrive today.

So the best way to dry the carpets would be to open the French doors
and set up a fan in the room?

Yup - ventilation is the key. Proper carpet cleaners use blowers like these
http://www.musthaveit.com/products/d...r-blower/1098/

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yup - ventilation is the key. Proper carpet cleaners use blowers like thesehttp://www.musthaveit.com/products/details/karcher-ab-84-carpet-dryer...

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Vax pre spray should be okay as it's wool safe, one of the
chemicals I ordered is out of stock so I have to wait for that to come
in stock to receive the whole order, flippin company didn't even tell
me that chemical was out of stock!