David

Default Landlord's gas safety certificate - cost?

Hi
I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find a plumber who's even
interested in doing one; worrying in itself, but also in that if and
when I finally do sign somebody up I'm going to have to pay him silly
money.

I may have no choice in the matter, but how much should I expect to
have to pay for a two-up/two-down with boiler, gas fire and gas
cooker. (Location is the Northwest FWIW).

Thanks
David
R P McMurphy

"David" wrote in message
om...
| Hi
| I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find a plumber who's even
| interested in doing one; worrying in itself, but also in that if and
| when I finally do sign somebody up I'm going to have to pay him silly
| money.
|
| I may have no choice in the matter, but how much should I expect to
| have to pay for a two-up/two-down with boiler, gas fire and gas
| cooker. (Location is the Northwest FWIW).
|
| Thanks
| David

i have one done every year with a boiler service,£70. no cooker or fire
though so id add maybe £20.

rpm

BigWallop

"David" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find a plumber who's even
interested in doing one; worrying in itself, but also in that if and
when I finally do sign somebody up I'm going to have to pay him silly
money.

I may have no choice in the matter, but how much should I expect to
have to pay for a two-up/two-down with boiler, gas fire and gas
cooker. (Location is the Northwest FWIW).

Thanks
David

It is important for you as a landlord to have this done, so why not take a
small service agreement with British Gas.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:51:46 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

why not take a
small service agreement with British Gas.

Because they're completely fecking useless as maintenance engineers ?

Ed Sirett

David wrote:

Hi
I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find a plumber who's even
interested in doing one; worrying in itself, but also in that if and
when I finally do sign somebody up I'm going to have to pay him silly
money.

I may have no choice in the matter, but how much should I expect to
have to pay for a two-up/two-down with boiler, gas fire and gas
cooker. (Location is the Northwest FWIW).

In London I'd be looking for 60 quid for the inspection.
Together with servicing I'd be asking 90.
The fire will be about 50% of the total work.

I would also make it clear that if this is the first time that you have
sought a safety inspection and the appliances have been installed a few
years that you can expect there to be some remedial work to bring the
installation up to scratch. Most likely this will fall into the At Risk
category and not the Immediately Dangerous.

HTH
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Alec

"David" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find a plumber who's even
interested in doing one; worrying in itself, but also in that if and
when I finally do sign somebody up I'm going to have to pay him silly
money.

I may have no choice in the matter, but how much should I expect to
have to pay for a two-up/two-down with boiler, gas fire and gas
cooker. (Location is the Northwest FWIW).

Earlier this year I had a gas safety inspection done at a property I was
interested in at Blackpool for £60. I asked the estate agent to recommend
one, but I could just have picked a number in yellow pages under 'Corgi gas
installer'. You only want a statutory inspection, not servicing the boiler
or maintenance contract (which might well follow from the inspection).

Alec

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , BigWallop
writes

It is important for you as a landlord to have this done, so why not take a
small service agreement with British Gas.

Or, better still, someone who
a) doesn't spend all their time trying to sell you a new boiler
b) you have a chance of getting through to on the phone
c) various other things for which BG are notoriously bad at

I noticed the plumbing magazine at trade counters had an article
on British Gas servicing, and how they managed to service a boiler
for a couple of years without even opening the casing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
BigWallop

wrote:

why not take a
small service agreement with British Gas.

Because they're completely fecking useless as maintenance engineers ?

I'll not argue that point, but they come in handy for this type of
certification requirement.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I noticed the plumbing magazine at trade counters had an article
on British Gas servicing, and how they managed to service a boiler
for a couple of years without even opening the casing.

At least that would stop them breaking things, losing screws etc...

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
John

"David" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find a plumber who's even
interested in doing one; worrying in itself, but also in that if and
when I finally do sign somebody up I'm going to have to pay him silly
money.

I may have no choice in the matter, but how much should I expect to
have to pay for a two-up/two-down with boiler, gas fire and gas
cooker. (Location is the Northwest FWIW).

You should expect to pay slightly above the cost of a service to the three
appliances. Possibly between eighty to one hundred pounds if all done at
one visit and all is found to be well.
Any gas installer worth having will carry out a service to the appliances,
a check of ventilation and flueing, and a soundness (tightness to give it
its new terminology) test of the gas pipework downstream of the meter, as
part of the gas safety testing procedure.

If you cannot find a local installer try looking on CORGIs website for
their list of installers in your locality