Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low-budget SUDS (sustainable drainage)

Any experience of installing SUDS (sustainable urban drainage system -
look it up at pavingexpert)? In particular, doing it on the cheap.

I'm dealing with about 50m^2(plan) of roof, splitting two ways, which
I reckon as two units of about 1/2 m^3 of soakaway each. Space is
somewhat limited, so I want a high void ratio soakaway: one built from
plastic cages, rather than a hole filled with rocks. As it's low
traffic, low budget, I'm thinking about subbing a 300 quid commercial
plastic crate with a stack of inverted beer / milk crates.

Any thoughts?

Any favoured brands? 8-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Any experience of installing SUDS (sustainable urban drainage system -
look it up at pavingexpert)? In particular, doing it on the cheap.

I'm dealing with about 50m^2(plan) of roof, splitting two ways, which
I reckon as two units of about 1/2 m^3 of soakaway each. Space is
somewhat limited, so I want a high void ratio soakaway: one built from
plastic cages, rather than a hole filled with rocks. As it's low
traffic, low budget, I'm thinking about subbing a 300 quid commercial
plastic crate with a stack of inverted beer / milk crates.

Any thoughts?

Make sure you surround the soakaway(s) with a strong geotextile fabric.
This will allow the water to soak away unimpeded while preventing the
surrounding soil from migrating into the soakaway and blocking it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 11:55, Andy Dingley wrote:
Any experience of installing SUDS (sustainable urban drainage system -
look it up at pavingexpert)? *In particular, doing it on the cheap.

I'm dealing with about 50m^2(plan) of roof, splitting two ways, which
I reckon as two units of about 1/2 m^3 of soakaway each. *Space is
somewhat limited, so I want a high void ratio soakaway: one built from
plastic cages, rather than a hole filled with rocks. *As it's low
traffic, low budget, I'm thinking about subbing a 300 quid commercial
plastic crate with a stack of inverted beer / milk crates.

Any thoughts?

Any favoured brands? 8-)

Will watch this one with interest as I need to do something similar.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 03:55:18 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

Any experience of installing SUDS (sustainable urban drainage system -
look it up at pavingexpert)? In particular, doing it on the cheap.

I'm dealing with about 50m^2(plan) of roof, splitting two ways, which
I reckon as two units of about 1/2 m^3 of soakaway each. Space is
somewhat limited, so I want a high void ratio soakaway: one built from
plastic cages, rather than a hole filled with rocks. As it's low
traffic, low budget, I'm thinking about subbing a 300 quid commercial
plastic crate with a stack of inverted beer / milk crates.

Any thoughts?

Any favoured brands? 8-)

Rather than let it go to waste, pipe it to an IBC* and store the water
for toilet flushing or for garden irrigation - if you find more water
than you can use then dump it to the surface drainage before the new
rainfall arrives.
[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interme...Bulk_Container

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:

Any experience of installing SUDS (sustainable urban drainage system -
look it up at pavingexpert)? In particular, doing it on the cheap.

I'm dealing with about 50m^2(plan) of roof, splitting two ways, which
I reckon as two units of about 1/2 m^3 of soakaway each. Space is
somewhat limited, so I want a high void ratio soakaway: one built from
plastic cages, rather than a hole filled with rocks. As it's low
traffic, low budget, I'm thinking about subbing a 300 quid commercial
plastic crate with a stack of inverted beer / milk crates.

Any thoughts?

Make sure you surround the soakaway(s) with a strong geotextile fabric.
This will allow the water to soak away unimpeded while preventing the
surrounding soil from migrating into the soakaway and blocking it.

Ah..I'll remember tht when I sort the outflow from my klargester PROPERLY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 03:55:18 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

with a stack of inverted beer / milk crates.

Stella Artois, please.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 13:28, Mike wrote:

Rather than let it go to waste, pipe it to an IBC* and store the water
for toilet flushing or for garden irrigation

I'm planning a divert a single waterbutt (it's a small garden), but
toilet flush wold require far too much piping and probably two stories
of pumped lift. This is for the workshop, which is detached and behind
the house. At present there's only 1/4 of it that even has guttering!

I have been thinking about a bathroom grey water system for flushing
the downstairs toilet, when that gets refurbed.
http://www.ecoplay-system.com/ or similar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 03:55:18 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

Any thoughts?

Ask at pavingexpert?

While Tony does tell you how it should be done properly were you a contractor
charging a customer for a proper job, he will also tell you how to do it for
nowt, if you ask nicely...

Othern'that, I'd make sure that there was some sort of removable wire basket (or
some other filter-like-thing) between the outlet and the soakaway: not enough to
block the flow should it become full, but enough to catch leaves etc. before
they line the bottom of the soakaway and become a decomposed mess that will need
to be removed the hard way.

Thomas Prufer