Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using Protimeter MMS

Hi all

Not quite DIY but..
I have a problem with damp in solid concrete floor and so far 2 surveying
companies have been round to check the floor slab moisture level.
I "think" that they both used the Protimeter MMS device (pretty sure the
second one did looking at web pics).
The second one claimed that the hand set should be held at an angle to the
floor when taking a reading. The first surveyor simply laid the device flat
on the floor. The readings obtained by the two methods were vastly
different.
As a result, the first surveyor said the whole ground floor was damp, which
I believe is correct from visual evidence (also the first guy had loads of
high tech gear which he seemed proficient with).
The second surveyor said that the majority of the ground floor was within
normal moisture limits 30 reading (not sure of units!)

Is anyone familiar with this device to know how it should be used?
I have tried to contact the tech support for this device but have not
received a call back from the automated answer phone system yet .

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Is this the instrument?
http://www.instrumart.com/assets/108/MMS_manual.pdf
"The instrument can now be used to take relative moisture readings in solid,
homogenous materials (such as walls and floors) by holding the leading edge
of the sensor bulge against the surface (see the figure below) at an angle
ranging from 20° to 50°."

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Baz" wrote

Is this the instrument?
http://www.instrumart.com/assets/108/MMS_manual.pdf
"The instrument can now be used to take relative moisture readings in
solid, homogenous materials (such as walls and floors) by holding the
leading edge of the sensor bulge against the surface (see the figure
below) at an angle ranging from 20° to 50°."

Baz

Brilliant - thanks Baz
Looks like the guy visiting recently was using the device correctly.
Looking at the general spec though, the depth of penetration for measurement
is only 15mm.
So the drying/dehumidifying process may easily achieve this in a short space
of time, only for the damp to soak back up through the slab from below.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 4:05*am, "TheScullster" wrote:
[...]

Take a piece of clear plastic about 12" square and tape edges to
floor, if condensation appears in 24 hrs you have excessive moisture.
Moisture meters here in the US 2 probe cost about US 30$ and way up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 12:21, "Baz" wrote:
[...]

Dear Baz
Ransley has it dead right. Forget the meter readings. Measure the
water.
there is a BS on this as far as I remember.
A meter is an indicator of a potential problem and it is the
assessment of the expert on the readings that is important
Most are not sufficently expert!

Classics for walls and dpc companies are those that use resistance
probes in foil backed plaster board and recommend a dpc
Chris