Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default calor gas cost?

Is it possible to get a general cost of calor gas heaters compared with
say Electric oil filled ones?
Either that or an ideas of how long on Min. setting a heater will run on
a 15kg gas bottle?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Feb, 13:50, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Is it possible to get a general cost of calor gas heaters compared with
say Electric oil filled ones?
Either that or an ideas of how long on Min. setting a heater will run on
a 15kg gas bottle?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

The cost works out practically the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
| On 4 Feb, 13:50, Janet Tweedy wrote:
| Is it possible to get a general cost of calor gas heaters compared with
| say Electric oil filled ones?
| Either that or an ideas of how long on Min. setting a heater will run on
| a 15kg gas bottle?
|
| Janet
| --
| Janet Tweedy
| Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
|
| The cost works out practically the same.

You also get a lot of condensation with calor gas heaters

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Angela wrote:
wrote in message
| On 4 Feb, 13:50, Janet Tweedy wrote:
| Is it possible to get a general cost of calor gas heaters compared with
| say Electric oil filled ones?
| Either that or an ideas of how long on Min. setting a heater will run on
| a 15kg gas bottle?
|
| Janet
| --
| Janet Tweedy
| Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
|
| The cost works out practically the same.

You also get a lot of condensation with calor gas heaters

Also, many oil filled radiators are available with thermostatic
controls. The Calor gas ones I am familiar with have three settings
(approx. low, medium, high). So while the electric one can adjust its
effective output quite finely, the gas one will often be burning at an
inappropriate rate for the room.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Tweedy explained :
Is it possible to get a general cost of calor gas heaters compared with say
Electric oil filled ones?
Either that or an ideas of how long on Min. setting a heater will run on a
15kg gas bottle?

I did some figures a few years ago and it worked out to be as near as I
could tell - pretty much the same fuel cost. The advantage being that
you pay out in one lump sum for the gas, rather than getting a bill
after it has been used and that you can even use them where there is no
power. The big disadvantage is that as they burn they produce lots of
moisture and fumes, so they also need good ventilation.

You can work out the running cost by what you pay for the bottle
contents and weighing the bottle on bathroom scales as you use it. The
bottles have a weight stamped on them, deduct that from the weight and
what is left is the gas content.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:50:22 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Is it possible to get a general cost of calor gas heaters compared with
say Electric oil filled ones?
Either that or an ideas of how long on Min. setting a heater will run on
a 15kg gas bottle?

Janet

dunno about minimum setting, but I reckon my heater is good for 60-ish
hours at the setting the instructions call "2kW".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod
writes

You also get a lot of condensation with calor gas heaters

Also, many oil filled radiators are available with thermostatic
controls. The Calor gas ones I am familiar with have three settings
(approx. low, medium, high). So while the electric one can adjust its
effective output quite finely, the gas one will often be burning at an
inappropriate rate for the room.

Oh rats ........... having had our winter quarterly electric and gas
bill I thought I ought to turn the electric radiator off and find
something cheaper to use just to boost the heating when we need it.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 23:57:59 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Rod
writes

You also get a lot of condensation with calor gas heaters

Also, many oil filled radiators are available with thermostatic
controls. The Calor gas ones I am familiar with have three settings
(approx. low, medium, high). So while the electric one can adjust its
effective output quite finely, the gas one will often be burning at an
inappropriate rate for the room.

Oh rats ........... having had our winter quarterly electric and gas
bill I thought I ought to turn the electric radiator off and find
something cheaper to use just to boost the heating when we need it.

Just had our winter dual fuel bill and gas has gone up by 25%.
Electric has actually gone down by around 10%. Since our rooms are all
roughly 50 cubic metres I'm using a fan heater and keeping doors
closed. Takes about 5 minutes to heat the room and comes on for a few
minutes every 25 minutes or so.

I do have a mobile gas heater with a bottle but we keep that for power
cuts and boiler failures. Was once stuck for a week with no boiler in
the middle of winter while we waited for repairs to be done. A 15Kg
bottle will last about 10 days on minimum setting if on about 8 hours
a day. But obviously that will depend on the heater being used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Angela wrote:

You also get a lot of condensation with calor gas heaters

Ideal in combination with a small dehumidfier then, get 100% of the Gas HHV
delivered into the room and ~200W from the dehumidifier!

AJH

Installing calor gas hob - follow-up Adrian UK diy 5 August 3rd 07 11:52 PM
Calor hob R D S UK diy 10 June 11th 07 09:29 PM
old calor bottle :::Jerry:::: UK diy 9 January 27th 05 01:23 AM
Calor gas cooker David Cawkwell UK diy 1 January 16th 05 09:43 PM
Oil or Calor gas heating Alex UK diy 13 November 12th 03 11:25 PM