Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure washer buggered

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Did it freeze?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Did it freeze?

Don't know really. One day I was using it and it just stopped working. I
didn't notice any leaks at that time but we just dragged it out of the shed
to see if it 'reset' itself and although the pump works now there's water
piddling out of that crack.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Did it freeze?

Don't know really. One day I was using it and it just stopped
working. I didn't notice any leaks at that time but we just dragged
it out of the shed to see if it 'reset' itself and although the pump
works now there's water piddling out of that crack.

Looks like frost damage to me :-(

Looks like a cast alluminium head? What make & model is it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Did it freeze?

Don't know really. One day I was using it and it just stopped
working. I didn't notice any leaks at that time but we just dragged
it out of the shed to see if it 'reset' itself and although the pump
works now there's water piddling out of that crack.

Looks like frost damage to me :-(

I'd agree and I doubt there's any diy fix. Might be worth trying the
manufacturer, see if they will supply a replacement part (although the
price of PWs has come down quite a lot in recent years so it might not even
be economically viable to try and repair it).

--
The Wanderer

Usenet is like a troupe of performing elephants with diarrhea:
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining,
and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wibbled:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

A good rough up, degrease and stick a metal patch over it with metal-loaded
epoxy (try Halfords) *might* do it. Worse it will do is fall off and not
work(!).

Obviously welding the metal would be better, but if it's a case of try
something simple or chuck it, 5 quid for a tube of epoxy and a bit of scrap
metal is what I'd try...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Did it freeze?

Don't know really. One day I was using it and it just stopped
working. I didn't notice any leaks at that time but we just dragged
it out of the shed to see if it 'reset' itself and although the pump
works now there's water piddling out of that crack.

Looks like frost damage to me :-(

Bum.

Looks like a cast alluminium head? What make & model is it?

I think it is aluminium. It was a Freecycle special, originally from
Homebase I think. Made in China. Not the best start in life!

Thanks chaps, I might try some metal epoxy gubbins. There again I might not
:-)

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan, 15:55, Tim S wrote:

Obviously welding the metal would be better, but if it's a case of try
something simple or chuck it, 5 quid for a tube of epoxy and a bit of scrap
metal is what I'd try...

I wouldn't use heat on aluminium that has the sort of criticality for
dimensions.

Then if I had to, I'd go with a low-temperature process like Lumiweld,
rather than welding it.

I would expect Dremel work to widen the crack a little, degreasing and
then a filled epoxy (JB Weld etc.) would be enough. It's not rocket
surgery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wibbled:

I would expect Dremel work to widen the crack a little, degreasing and
then a

That sounds like a better plan.

filled epoxy (JB Weld etc.)

That's what I was thinking of - thanks for reminding me.

would be enough. It's not rocket
surgery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:15:12 -0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Depends on the pressure it's handling. I once made a permanent repair
to an aluminium thermostat housing on a car using araldite. Slow cured
on a heater overnight. But that was only about 8lb pressure and the
cracks were hairline. If your washer is handling high pressures like
10 Bar up it needs welding for a proper fix. No filler is going to be
safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Did it freeze?
Don't know really. One day I was using it and it just stopped
working. I didn't notice any leaks at that time but we just dragged
it out of the shed to see if it 'reset' itself and although the pump
works now there's water piddling out of that crack.

Looks like frost damage to me :-(

I'd agree and I doubt there's any diy fix.

Of course there is - this is a classic case for chemical metal or JBweld
or car body filler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Depends on the pressure it's handling. I once made a permanent repair
to an aluminium thermostat housing on a car using araldite. Slow cured
on a heater overnight. But that was only about 8lb pressure and the
cracks were hairline. If your washer is handling high pressures like
10 Bar up it needs welding for a proper fix. No filler is going to be
safe.

Water under extreme pressure is not unsafe.

Because it is virtually incompressible, there is **** all energy in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Depends on the pressure it's handling. I once made a permanent repair
to an aluminium thermostat housing on a car using araldite. Slow
cured on a heater overnight. But that was only about 8lb pressure
and the cracks were hairline. If your washer is handling high
pressures like 10 Bar up it needs welding for a proper fix. No
filler is going to be safe.

Water under extreme pressure is not unsafe.

Because it is virtually incompressible, there is **** all energy in
it.

Rather misleading. In a situation where the pressure (say in a sealed
vessel) isn't being maintained, the the pressure & flow will drop rapidly in
the event of a leak. From a pumped source however, high pressure water can
be very dangerous indeed.

You wouldn't want to stick your finger (or any part of your body for that
matter) in the firing line of a jet washer.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Depends on the pressure it's handling. I once made a permanent repair
to an aluminium thermostat housing on a car using araldite. Slow cured
on a heater overnight. But that was only about 8lb pressure and the
cracks were hairline. If your washer is handling high pressures like
10 Bar up it needs welding for a proper fix. No filler is going to be
safe.

Gonna be more like 100 bar, more for a brief period when the trigger is
closed.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Depends on the pressure it's handling. I once made a permanent repair
to an aluminium thermostat housing on a car using araldite. Slow cured
on a heater overnight. But that was only about 8lb pressure and the
cracks were hairline. If your washer is handling high pressures like
10 Bar up it needs welding for a proper fix. No filler is going to be
safe.

Water under extreme pressure is not unsafe.

I once saw an air compressor cylinder head burst when water got into
the system

Because it is virtually incompressible, there is **** all energy in it.

The bit shown cracked does not have enough detail to say whether it is
under any pressure from anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Generally agree, but. DIY machines have **** poor flow rates & don't
generate much power. Anything more than about 6" from the nozzle won't do
much harm.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Did it freeze?

Don't know really. One day I was using it and it just stopped
working. I didn't notice any leaks at that time but we just dragged
it out of the shed to see if it 'reset' itself and although the pump
works now there's water piddling out of that crack.

Looks like frost damage to me :-(

I'd agree and I doubt there's any diy fix. Might be worth trying the
manufacturer, see if they will supply a replacement part (although the
price of PWs has come down quite a lot in recent years so it might
not even be economically viable to try and repair it).

Badge engineered Chinese jobby? You simply won't get any spares.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Did it freeze?

Don't know really. One day I was using it and it just stopped
working. I didn't notice any leaks at that time but we just dragged
it out of the shed to see if it 'reset' itself and although the pump
works now there's water piddling out of that crack.

Looks like frost damage to me :-(

Bum.

Looks like a cast alluminium head? What make & model is it?

I think it is aluminium. It was a Freecycle special, originally from
Homebase I think. Made in China. Not the best start in life!

Thanks chaps, I might try some metal epoxy gubbins. There again I
might not :-)

You aint gonna get any parts, so you might as well try it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Water under extreme pressure is not unsafe.

Because it is virtually incompressible, there is **** all energy in it.

Yep. OTOH don't attempt to bodge your traction engine's boiler with JB Weld.

hehe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Depends on the pressure it's handling. I once made a permanent
repair to an aluminium thermostat housing on a car using araldite.
Slow cured on a heater overnight. But that was only about 8lb
pressure and the cracks were hairline. If your washer is handling
high pressures like 10 Bar up it needs welding for a proper fix. No
filler is going to be safe.

Water under extreme pressure is not unsafe.

I once saw an air compressor cylinder head burst when water got into
the system

Because it is virtually incompressible, there is **** all energy in
it.

The bit shown cracked does not have enough detail to say whether it is
under any pressure from anything.

The crack is in the pressure manifold, thats under pressure all the time.

Hence "now there's water piddling out of that crack".

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo Two Sheds Toadfoot wrote:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Its hard to say with just one not overly clear pic, but my impression
is that it looks clampable. I certainly wouldnt rely on epoxy to fix
it, but epoxy could be used as a sealant in the gap, with some serious
external metal clamping to actually hold it together. Anything like
this is a bit of a bodge of course, but such machines have very
limited life, so it only has to last so long. If you've got a welder
it shouldnt be too hard to fab something. Whether its worth it depends
on the machine's value.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

If it's leaking water at mains pressure, perhaps just possible. If it's
leaking water at "pump pressure" I reckon it's fooked.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Mungo Two Sheds Toadfoot wrote:

Got a bloody crack in its innards. Is it fixable? Araldite?

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...tha_ogg/Stuff/

Si

Its hard to say with just one not overly clear pic, but my impression
is that it looks clampable. I certainly wouldnt rely on epoxy to fix
it, but epoxy could be used as a sealant in the gap, with some serious
external metal clamping to actually hold it together. Anything like
this is a bit of a bodge of course, but such machines have very
limited life, so it only has to last so long. If you've got a welder
it shouldnt be too hard to fab something. Whether its worth it depends
on the machine's value.

I was thinking along similar lines about poring epoxy into the crack. I
would heat the body up so the epoxy becomes more fluid. I have repaired
gearbox casing that way but the casings tend not to be stressed.

Having said that if the aluminium casting flexes much under pressure then
it's scrap or a weld job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

He should chuck it and buy another
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Dunno about welding it. It might be a MAZAC pressure diecasting - an
aluminium and zinc alloy that might not weld at all well. The localised
heating might do some damage too due to stress. if you are on a tight
budget it might be worth a punt or otherwise try and get another one of
the same type (ebay??) with a different fault and make one good out of
two duds. Otherwise buy a quality one. depends of how much you use it.
Lidl/aldi/netto might be worth a look as whilst their stuff is not top
quality, it is not usually total crap and it often has 3 yrs warranty.
Because they stock this stuff as special lines every few months, it
invariably means when you have a fault and take it back , they can't
swap it for another and instead you get your money back.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-01-30, Bob Minchin wrote:

Dunno about welding it. It might be a MAZAC

Colloquially known as "****-metal" ...

Yes, I've had various bits of it on old cars - it's not very strong stuff,
and pits something chronic. I'm surprised they'd use it for anything that
was under pressure...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Fred wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Pump head has to seal against the crank. If the heat distorts anything its
goodbye pressure.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk