Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Domestic Cat 5 cabling and management

I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

Are there any domestic-friendly network cabling products or systems that
can help manage this, being reasonably unobtrusive and offering some
degree of flexibility?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

The bit to do in advance is running the cable. You don't need to connect
up all the ends for sockets you're not using, so there's no need to have
a large patchpanel unless and until you actually have a large number of
sockets in use.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:11:58 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Don't forget coax for RF signals like radio, TV, or satellite.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

I don't think you can avoid it with modern approaches to networking which
are star based. You don't have to have a patch panel the cables could go
straight into the back of your network switch. That could be in the roof
space you probably aren't going to be swapping things around all that
often so easy access isn't a requirement just access. But bear in mind the
roof space can get rather hot in the summer and rather cold in the
winter...

I expect loads of people will say forget wires and use WiFi but wires are
far more secure, reliable and faster. ADSL2+ (up to 24Mbps) is rolling out
now, FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) is hot on it's heels, expect 100Mbps
from that, suddenly real world wireless speeds(*) are looking a bit slow.

If you are in a typical residential area the WiFi frequencies are getting
rather crowed already and there are only 3 channels that don't mutually
interfere with each other.

(*) Don't believe the marketing hype on WiFi type stuff at least not on
consumer kit. Those rates are what the kit could do for a few feet inside
a faraday cage, get out in the real world with interference and crowded
frequecies and it's another story.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

Are there any domestic-friendly network cabling products or systems that
can help manage this, being reasonably unobtrusive and offering some
degree of flexibility?

Daniele

You might like to try to future proof yourself. read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

And worry!

I think you are stuck with a hub somewhere.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
D.M. Procida writes
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

You don't have to run all the cables back to one point, you could bring
the cables from one area together and connect them to a network switch,
running one cable from this switch to connect to the rest of the network
at another switch or a router.

Whilst theoretically this sort of arrangement can be slower as all the
traffic from more than one computer goes down one cable, but unless
doing something that requires a lot of network capacity, for the average
home setup this isn't an issue.
and

this is sort of what I've done here (in a slightly ad hoc, way in an old
Victorian house, to minimise the wiring needed). There is a server in
the cellar, connected to a switch. Connected to this is a cable running
to one end of the house where the router lives, which is connected to 2
PC's and a printer, another cable runs the other way connecting to a
switch which feeds a network audio player, an old PC used to playback
video and sometimes a wired connection for a laptop.

a third cable leaves the cellar switch to feed a wireless access point
upstairs (which really needs to be in the middle of the house to give
coverage in the whole house).

It'd be worth installing CAT6 cable and Gigabit switches, for a bit of
future proofing.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon d wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

The bit to do in advance is running the cable. You don't need to connect
up all the ends for sockets you're not using, so there's no need to have
a large patchpanel unless and until you actually have a large number of
sockets in use.

What do I do with cables that terminate at the hub-point, but that I
don't need to use (just yet)? Do I leave them loose behind the socket,
until they're needed?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

Are there any domestic-friendly network cabling products or systems

thatR-KEM 300ML CARTRIDGE + NOZZLE 60-271 (988187)
can help manage this, being reasonably unobtrusive and offering some
degree of flexibility?

Daniele

Forget about running the cable. Just put a smattering of single or double
35mm[1] deep back boxes in and run at least 20mm round conduit to each one
or 2 x 20mm oval conduit if depth is an issue).

Make sure the conduit remains clear during plastering and the top (or
bottom) end is somewhere accessible - if necessary bend (or glue in a
shallow slip bend - not an elbow: too tight) too allow the end of the
conduit to be brought along to a convenient point.

You'll be able to pull 4 bits of Cat5 through 20mm round easily enough, and
probably round at least one smooth bend if you need.

Then you leave the way open to wire and adapt later (you might want to pull
an aerial cable or speaker cables through too later, so it might not be all
Cat5.

This is exactly the approach I'm taking because I have too much on the
drawing board with my project to worry about comms - so I'm just laying the
tubes - we'll pull the wires after the jobs done as we decide we need to.

Cheers

Tim

[1] 25mm would do *but* there are a few accessories that need 35mm, like
some aerial modules.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:11:58 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Don't forget coax for RF signals like radio, TV, or satellite.

I quite like the idea of a decent signal for FM radio, but the TV aerial
comes in just near where the TV will be, so that's OK.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

I don't think you can avoid it with modern approaches to networking which
are star based. You don't have to have a patch panel the cables could go
straight into the back of your network switch. That could be in the roof
space you probably aren't going to be swapping things around all that
often so easy access isn't a requirement just access. But bear in mind the
roof space can get rather hot in the summer and rather cold in the
winter...

The roof space will be the penthouse suite bedroom, so I hope that the
vast quantity of insulation going into it will help keep temperatures
fairly even.

I expect loads of people will say forget wires and use WiFi but wires are
far more secure, reliable and faster.

It would be fine, but for backups to a network device. I have an Apple
Time Capsule, which hosts the best backup system I've ever used - but
too slow over wireless for the file sizes I often work with. Over
Gigabit ethernet, it's wonderful.

If you are in a typical residential area the WiFi frequencies are getting
rather crowed already and there are only 3 channels that don't mutually
interfere with each other.

Every year at about Christmas time, a few more neighbours' WLANs seem to
appear, and each year the signal reach within our own house has
deteriorated.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

Are there any domestic-friendly network cabling products or systems that
can help manage this, being reasonably unobtrusive and offering some
degree of flexibility?

Daniele

Unless you are streaming high bandwidth video, forget cabling. Go for a
wireless router. Desktops can be retrofitted with a wireless connection for
£20 and laptops come ready fitted. Alternatively go for Ethernet over mains
adaptors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard
Head writes

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

Are there any domestic-friendly network cabling products or systems that
can help manage this, being reasonably unobtrusive and offering some
degree of flexibility?

Daniele

Unless you are streaming high bandwidth video, forget cabling.

If you can do it, cabling is still the fastest and most reliable. If
people are just interneting maybe not so much benefit, but if there is
much file shifting going on then it is noticeably faster. Most stuff
here now lives on the server, lots of things are noticeably faster on
wired, and were noticeably again faster when much of the gear was
upgraded to Gigabit Ethernet.

Wireless is prone to interference, to random weirdness (my laptop just
stopped connecting one day to the AP when the connection was encrypted,
much fiddling and faffing, before I got it working again, but no obvious
problem was fixed). To range limitations (unless the wireless Access
Point here is located pretty much in the centre of the house we can't
get full coverage, but that's not very convenient if we want it to be
the router as well, which is best located elsewhere).

Go for a
wireless router. Desktops can be retrofitted with a wireless connection for
£20 and laptops come ready fitted. Alternatively go for Ethernet over mains
adaptors.

Horses for courses really, we have wired for most things which are
fixed, wireless for laptops, DSes and such like and I may use Ethernet
over mains to extend the network into some out buildings.

But seeing as the OP said they are in the position, to fix in wiring
whilst other work is going on I think it'd be silly not to.

anyway, I think they already have wireless
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:28:32 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

What do I do with cables that terminate at the hub-point, but that I
don't need to use (just yet)? Do I leave them loose behind the socket,
until they're needed?

If your putting in a patch panel they may as well be terminated to the
relevant socket on the panel. Without a panel just label the end, coil up
and tie.

In the wall if the face plate is there with a socket terminate if a blank
faceplate coil up 9" or so in the box. There is nothing worse than trying
to terminate 8 IDC wires that only come a couple of inches out of the
wall.

Remember to run two cables to each single gang box, that will take two
sockets. Cable is cheap, running it isn't.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:49:07 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

Don't forget coax for RF signals like radio, TV, or satellite.

I quite like the idea of a decent signal for FM radio, but the TV aerial
comes in just near where the TV will be, so that's OK.

Unless you want to move the TV location or have a TV in another room. See
my other comment, cable is cheap, running it isn't.

the roof space can get rather hot in the summer and rather cold in the
winter...

The roof space will be the penthouse suite bedroom, so I hope that the
vast quantity of insulation going into it will help keep temperatures
fairly even.

Ah right so will there be small voids behind short walls up to a sloping
ceiling. Ideal little hidey hole for networky/RF distribution bits and
bobs. With a bit of thought at this stage this "cupboard" could be inside
the insulation thus protected from the extremes to some extent.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a
great patchbay downstairs.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the
network at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in
the future, but I don't see a way around that.

Are there any domestic-friendly network cabling products or systems
that can help manage this, being reasonably unobtrusive and offering
some degree of flexibility?

I'm not aware of any clever products. I suppose you could install 20mm
round conduit with drawcords, and then add or remove cables as you needed
them.

We just ran dozens of cat 5 lengths up into the loft whilst refurbishing,
and cable-tied them in a bunch by the chimney breast. Some are now
connected to a 16-port 10/100 switch up there, others hang dead until
needed. It's not graceful, but it's fast, reliable & madly cheap to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ah right so will there be small voids behind short walls up to a
sloping ceiling. Ideal little hidey hole for networky/RF distribution
bits and bobs. With a bit of thought at this stage this "cupboard"
could be inside the insulation thus protected from the extremes to
some extent.

Yep - you definitely need a little cupbard for it all to terminate in (or a
big cupboard if you want to add a NAS device etc).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:44:51 +0000, Tim S wrote:

You'll be able to pull 4 bits of Cat5 through 20mm round easily enough,
and probably round at least one smooth bend if you need.

A straight run for not very far IMHO. A single swept bend may put the
mockers on that as well unless the bend is right at an end and the cable
can be pushed as well as pulled. With 4 Cat5's in I doubt you'd be able to
get another equal sized cable through without taking the 4 out first and
refeeding as 5, if they are a loose enough fit to pull. Lubrication of
the cable will help but thats a bit messy when you pull the cables out...

Still an interesting idea and if you can arrange things as straight pulls
with decent access the quite feasable but don't under estimate the power
of even a slight bend to stop the cable sliding. Also think about how you
are going to get the draw string through.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.
--

Run at least two cables everywhere, and LABEL them! Leave a spare one
coiled inside the backing box.

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

That is a bit silly: cat 5 is a star network..needs a central
distribution point UNLESS you know exactly what its to be used for. I.e.
point to point happens by going back to the rack and cross linking.

The BEST place for that is possibly your loft. Run cables including
power to there.

Also run satellite TV cable everywhere as well. And put a distribution
amp in the loft as well.

Are there any domestic-friendly network cabling products or systems that
can help manage this, being reasonably unobtrusive and offering some
degree of flexibility?

Not really. Use proper stuff - 19" rack mount panels. No need for a rack
though. Just a couple of wood rails will do.

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
Pete Verdon d wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Just to cover future possible needs, I'd like to get a socket or two
into most of the rooms in the house, but I don't to end up with a great
patchbay downstairs.

The bit to do in advance is running the cable. You don't need to connect
up all the ends for sockets you're not using, so there's no need to have
a large patchpanel unless and until you actually have a large number of
sockets in use.

What do I do with cables that terminate at the hub-point, but that I
don't need to use (just yet)? Do I leave them loose behind the socket,
until they're needed?

Sure,. But actually the rack panels aren't that expensive.Best to
terminate anyway.

Its the far end pretty sockets on the wall that cost.

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Head wrote:
"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
[...]

Yeah, you are so right!

Why put up with a cheap secure reliable and guaranteed bandiwh system
when you can install a slower, insecure, and unreliable one that costs
more!

You KNOW it makes sense.

;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Still an interesting idea and if you can arrange things as straight pulls
with decent access the quite feasable but don't under estimate the power
of even a slight bend to stop the cable sliding. Also think about how you
are going to get the draw string through.

Suck it through with a vacuum cleaner.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Head wrote:

I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Unless you are streaming high bandwidth video, forget cabling. Go for a
wireless router. Desktops can be retrofitted with a wireless connection for
£20 and laptops come ready fitted. Alternatively go for Ethernet over mains
adaptors.

I already have and use wireless.

Ethernet over mains can be useful where real ethernet isn't possible
(for example, if you're in a listed building). But otherwise, it's very
expensive and bears all the disadvantages of any proprietary system.

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Stick huge alluminium ducts and trays at ceiling level thoughout the
house and install false ceilings.

Ready for anything. :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

I have an opportunity to get some Cat 5 cable run while we have
building/rewiring work going on.

Stick huge alluminium ducts and trays at ceiling level thoughout the
house and install false ceilings.

Indeed. And if I'm wearing only my vest and Alan Rickman turns up with
his gang to take everyone hostage, I can crawl around through the
ducting to defeat him.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:49:49 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

[...]

Plus, if you are renovating you may be adding internal foil-backed
insulation panels. I did, and so now, as expected, wifi doesn't work.
I'm adding cat5e to every room at the same time.

In many cases I've added spare wall boxes with a length of conduit (I
use solvent weld round plastic overflow pipe) to a convenient place and
left a cord in it. This is so I can pull whatever technology wire is
required sometime...

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:

Plus, if you are renovating you may be adding internal foil-backed
insulation panels. I did, and so now, as expected, wifi doesn't work.
I'm adding cat5e to every room at the same time.

Indeed. It looks like someone's building a faraday cage with foam
backing.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

It'd be worth installing CAT6 cable and Gigabit switches, for a bit of
future proofing.

Gigabit ethernet runs happily over Cat 5e.

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

I suspect that once you have done all this work, you will accept the
location you choose now as acceptable from here on in.
If you want to "spread" the structure more, then consider a Gigabit switch
in one location with Cat 6 cable to more localised 100Mbit switches. Then
make the wiring from the 100Mbit switches to the wall sockets accessible
Cat5E. You can upgrade the 100Mbit switches and local Cat5E in future if
necessary.
Also worth considering running telephone and co-ax from central location (if
you still use land line).
I followed suggestions on this group and took A+B pair up to a face plate
splitter in the loft and then ran land lines to each room from there.
This avoids the need for local phone filters and provides "cleaner"
broadband. Install your modem/router here also and connect to your gigabit
switch and you have wired network internet access.

HTH

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:46:56 -0000, TheScullster wrote:

Also worth considering running telephone and co-ax from central location

Cat5 will do analogue phone no problem and audio and baseband SD video
(with suitable baluns). Not sure if you could squeeze HD down Cat5 but
then there is no need you'd have a media PC at the display end connected
over the network.

RF is the tricky one that does need coax and CT100 or better.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:29:01 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

Also think about how you are going to get the draw string through.

Suck it through with a vacuum cleaner.

They tend to blow things rather than suck. Donno why.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster coughed up some electrons that declared:

"D.M. Procida" wrote

I also would like to avoid being obliged to have the hub of the network
at one fixed point, ruling out having it somewhere else in the future,
but I don't see a way around that.

I suspect that once you have done all this work, you will accept the
location you choose now as acceptable from here on in.
If you want to "spread" the structure more, then consider a Gigabit switch
in one location with Cat 6 cable to more localised 100Mbit switches. Then
make the wiring from the 100Mbit switches to the wall sockets accessible
Cat5E. You can upgrade the 100Mbit switches and local Cat5E in future if
necessary.

Worth pointing out that Cat5e runs to 1 gig/sec quite happily - it's in the
spec - but you will need all 4 pairs in use, so no using splitters to
double the number of sockets on each end.

Cat 6a is spec'd to run to 10 gig/s - if using Cat 6, aim for 6a - basically
the same stuff tested to a more exacting standard (rather like Cat 5 vs Cat
5e).

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Is the price difference between 100M and 1G for small switches
significant? Yes - there is still a premium, but not that much.

Agreed about 5e working fine at gigabit - but I would always use 6/6a in
a harsh environment (e.g. a server cabinet) or for longer distances.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

[...]

an even better option:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....Wiring#Conduit

For Daniele, that article would be a good starting point.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

if Daniele is looking for a cheaper option, its possible to just buy a
handful of plugs & couplers, and fit those to the cables you want to
use now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:58:08 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

You might like to try to future proof yourself. read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

And worry!

"Category 6a (or Augmented Category 6) operates at frequencies up to
550 MHz—twice that of Cat 6"

By the time that cable hits the streets Cat 7 or 6b or some other
random letter and number will be the order of the day. The only way
to future proof house wiring is by lots of empty ducts and conduits
(and stick everything that doesn't specifically require cable on a
wireless network) You also need lots of fibre optic tails trailing
round the floor as a trip hazard. It'll still be out of date next
week though.

Land to grow food, a huge stock of seed, a nuclear reactor to provide
heat, and an endless supply of water are far more important for
'future proofing' than any network cable ever will be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
says...

A straight run for not very far IMHO. A single swept bend may put the
mockers on that as well unless the bend is right at an end and the cable
can be pushed as well as pulled. With 4 Cat5's in I doubt you'd be able to
get another equal sized cable through without taking the 4 out first and
refeeding as 5, if they are a loose enough fit to pull. Lubrication of
the cable will help but thats a bit messy when you pull the cables out...

Still an interesting idea and if you can arrange things as straight pulls
with decent access the quite feasable but don't under estimate the power
of even a slight bend to stop the cable sliding. Also think about how you
are going to get the draw string through.

Install the draw string using rods during the duct installation, before
you fix the ducts and leave it there. When you pull-through the cables,
make sure you also pull a replacement draw string with each cable.
Better, make the first draw string twice the length of the duct and use
it so it is never pulled out completely.

Another alternative is to use screwed rods, e.g.,
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99596 pushed through the
duct and pull them out with the new cable attached. I use these for
Cat5 installation where there is no draw cord and they work well. They
can be lengthened as you feed them into the duct or wall cavity - but
make sure you screw them up well by hand otherwise you can break the
male screwed part... Don't push them in with the end fitting installed
either.
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

Crimping cat 5 structured solid core cable into plugs never really
produces reliability.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
D.M. Procida writes
chris French wrote:

It'd be worth installing CAT6 cable and Gigabit switches, for a bit of
future proofing.

Gigabit ethernet runs happily over Cat 5e.

True, but if installing fixed cables in such locations, it'd be worth
considering Cat6, be setup for 10Gigbit as well :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Crimping cat 5 structured solid core cable into plugs never really
produces reliability.

Yep. If you look at Farnell, there are two types of RJ45 - one for solid and
one for stranded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , chris French
scribeth thus
In message
,
D.M. Procida writes
chris French wrote:

It'd be worth installing CAT6 cable and Gigabit switches, for a bit of
future proofing.

Gigabit ethernet runs happily over Cat 5e.

True, but if installing fixed cables in such locations, it'd be worth
considering Cat6, be setup for 10Gigbit as well :-)

Does anybody really -need- that?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural
Philosopher scribeth thus
D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

Right plugs and RIGHT grade of crimp tool and no problems!..

We've done hundreds of these and I think we've only had one play up!.

And that wasn't assembled too well....

NT

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:03:50 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

True, but if installing fixed cables in such locations, it'd be worth
considering Cat6, be setup for 10Gigbit as well :-)

Does anybody really -need- that?..

Maybe not now but what does the future hold? Bear in mind that most
streaming audio and video feeds are compressed to hell and back and it
shows.

IIRC the Serial Digital Interface (SDI) feed in broadcast circles is 270
Mbps. The same for Hi-Def is 1.485 Gbps or 2.970 Gbps. There are
variations in the standards SD could be down at "only" 143 Mbps...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Domestic rewire, novel ideas required on cable management Tim S UK diy 10 July 24th 08 05:15 PM
TV cabling Martin Carroll UK diy 8 July 12th 08 09:21 AM
external cabling pls UK diy 5 April 7th 07 10:45 PM
Antenna/Cabling Q PeterD Electronics 0 January 23rd 07 02:49 PM
Help for TV/satellite cabling Inquisitive UK diy 41 January 10th 07 08:03 PM