DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What's the bit that turns a tap called? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/267179-whats-bit-turns-tap-called.html)

[email protected] December 20th 08 05:55 PM

What's the bit that turns a tap called?

As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called? We have two
perfectly serviceable taps on our washbasin but one of the plastic
knobs is disintegrating - I'd like to get a replacement.

I guess the whole of the tap, as in the insert that can be removed
from above wouldn't cost all that much but even then I don't really
know what it's called.

They seem to have a fairly standard size serrated (I know that's not
the right word) shaft and are fixed by M4 screws.

--
Chris Green

Andy Cap December 20th 08 06:02 PM

What's the bit that turns a tap called?

A hand ?

Don[_10_] December 20th 08 06:08 PM

wrote in message
As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called? We have two
perfectly serviceable taps on our washbasin but one of the plastic
knobs is disintegrating - I'd like to get a replacement.

I guess the whole of the tap, as in the insert that can be removed
from above wouldn't cost all that much but even then I don't really
know what it's called.

They seem to have a fairly standard size serrated (I know that's not
the right word) shaft and are fixed by M4 screws.

--
Chris Green

Acrylic Head or Acrylic Tap Head. The sheds sell them.

Don.

Alan December 20th 08 06:09 PM

What's the bit that turns a tap called?

In message ,
wrote
As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called? We have two
perfectly serviceable taps on our washbasin but one of the plastic
knobs is disintegrating - I'd like to get a replacement.

I guess the whole of the tap, as in the insert that can be removed
from above wouldn't cost all that much but even then I don't really
know what it's called.

They seem to have a fairly standard size serrated (I know that's not
the right word) shaft and are fixed by M4 screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12204/...s/Tap-Reviver-
Kit/Swirl-Modern-Reviver-Kit-Sink-Basin-Contract

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Adrian C December 20th 08 06:14 PM

wrote:
As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called? We have two
perfectly serviceable taps on our washbasin but one of the plastic
knobs is disintegrating - I'd like to get a replacement.

Google "Tap Tops Acrylic"

--
Adrian C

[email protected] December 20th 08 08:33 PM

Don wrote:

wrote in message
As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called? We have two
perfectly serviceable taps on our washbasin but one of the plastic
knobs is disintegrating - I'd like to get a replacement.

I guess the whole of the tap, as in the insert that can be removed
from above wouldn't cost all that much but even then I don't really
know what it's called.

They seem to have a fairly standard size serrated (I know that's not
the right word) shaft and are fixed by M4 screws.

--
Chris Green

Acrylic Head or Acrylic Tap Head. The sheds sell them.

Aaaahhhh!! "Head", thank you. :-)

--
Chris Green

[email protected] December 20th 08 08:35 PM

What's the bit that turns a tap called?

Alan wrote:
In message ,
wrote
As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called? We have two
perfectly serviceable taps on our washbasin but one of the plastic
knobs is disintegrating - I'd like to get a replacement.

I guess the whole of the tap, as in the insert that can be removed
from above wouldn't cost all that much but even then I don't really
know what it's called.

They seem to have a fairly standard size serrated (I know that's not
the right word) shaft and are fixed by M4 screws.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12204/...s/Tap-Reviver-
Kit/Swirl-Modern-Reviver-Kit-Sink-Basin-Contract

Oh, a "reviver kit", obvious!! :-) Exactly what I want though,
thank you, and reasonably priced.

--
Chris Green

Merryterry December 20th 08 09:12 PM

On 20 Dec, 18:08, "Don" wrote:
wrote in message

As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called? *We have two
perfectly serviceable taps on our washbasin but one of the plastic
knobs is disintegrating - I'd like to get a replacement.

I guess the whole of the tap, as in the insert that can be removed
from above wouldn't cost all that much but even then I don't really
know what it's called.

They seem to have a fairly standard size serrated (I know that's not
the right word) shaft and are fixed by M4 screws.

--
Chris Green

Acrylic Head or Acrylic Tap *Head. The sheds sell them.

Don.

There are loads of different sizes though. I know, I sold them many
years ago.

The Natural Philosopher December 21st 08 12:51 AM

wrote:
As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called?

spigot?

geoff December 21st 08 07:00 PM

What's the bit that turns a tap called?

In message , Richard
Head writes

wrote in message
. ..
As per subject, what's the knob on top of a tap called? We have two
perfectly serviceable taps on our washbasin but one of the plastic
knobs is disintegrating - I'd like to get a replacement.

I guess the whole of the tap, as in the insert that can be removed
from above wouldn't cost all that much but even then I don't really
know what it's called.

They seem to have a fairly standard size serrated (I know that's not
the right word) shaft and are fixed by M4 screws.

--
Chris Green

Knob head

VBG- any relation ?