Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mould appearing on interior upstairs room wall

Hi,

In my upstairs bedroom wall, black type mould has started to appear on
the interior wall...where the ceiling meets the wall.

This is appearing on the upstairs front of house wall...mainly in the
2 top corners. I went up into the attic and tried to check the 2
corners from there as best i could...there was a lot of beams
etc...but as best as i could see there didnt seem to be any damp.

Any recommendations to get rid of this. Also what is it a sign of.

Thanks,
Kieran
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 10:05*am, kieran5405 wrote:
Hi,

In my upstairs bedroom wall, black type mould has started to appear on
the interior wall...where the ceiling meets the wall.

This is appearing on the upstairs front of house wall...mainly in the
2 top corners. *I went up into the attic and tried to check the 2
corners from there as best i could...there was a lot of beams
etc...but as best as i could see there didnt seem to be any damp.

Any recommendations to get rid of this. *Also what is it a sign of.

Thanks,
Kieran

I had mould on the ceiling in the corner between wall and ceiling. In
my case I believe it was caused by condensation on a cold spot where
the loft insulation had been pushed back during fitting new soffits.
The insulation is now back in place, but only time will tell if I'm
right.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

kieran5405 wrote:
Hi,

In my upstairs bedroom wall, black type mould has started to appear on
the interior wall...where the ceiling meets the wall.

This is appearing on the upstairs front of house wall...mainly in the
2 top corners. I went up into the attic and tried to check the 2
corners from there as best i could...there was a lot of beams
etc...but as best as i could see there didnt seem to be any damp.

Any recommendations to get rid of this. Also what is it a sign of.

Most likely condensation. Open a window.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 02:05:16 -0800 (PST), kieran5405 wrote:

Hi,

In my upstairs bedroom wall, black type mould has started to appear on
the interior wall...where the ceiling meets the wall.

This is appearing on the upstairs front of house wall...mainly in the
2 top corners. I went up into the attic and tried to check the 2
corners from there as best i could...there was a lot of beams
etc...but as best as i could see there didnt seem to be any damp.

Any recommendations to get rid of this. Also what is it a sign of.

As others have said, almost certainly condensation. Quite by chance, just
had a local builder in to check on a small patch right up in one corner of
the bedroom - these days I ain't mobile enough to squeeze up tight under
the ridge. Absolutely no dampness above. When I was painting and repairing
soffits and fascias a couple of years ago I found a load of old rag stuffed
uner the bottom row of tiles, which I oiked out. I suspect a previous owner
had the dame problem and though damp was getting in under tiles.

Best way to get rid of the stuff, wash over gently and dab the area with
household bleach to kill off the spores, otherwise it'll soon be back.

--

The Wanderer

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
kieran5405 wrote:
Hi,

In my upstairs bedroom wall, black type mould has started to appear on
the interior wall...where the ceiling meets the wall.

This is appearing on the upstairs front of house wall...mainly in the
2 top corners. I went up into the attic and tried to check the 2
corners from there as best i could...there was a lot of beams
etc...but as best as i could see there didnt seem to be any damp.

Any recommendations to get rid of this. Also what is it a sign of.

Most likely condensation. Open a window.

I would think that this would depend on where you live. Up here in the
frozen North West, we always keep as many windows closed as possible.

To the original poster, try spraying the mold with Dettol's Mold and
Mildew remover spray. I have recommended this before after trying it in
our mold prone bathroom and it has kept it at bay for over 12 months
now. (It has no radiator as it stays warm if you have a shower or a bath
is run.)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec, 10:05, kieran5405 wrote:
Hi,

In my upstairs bedroom wall, black type mould has started to appear on
the interior wall...where the ceiling meets the wall.

This is appearing on the upstairs front of house wall...mainly in the
2 top corners. *I went up into the attic and tried to check the 2
corners from there as best i could...there was a lot of beams
etc...but as best as i could see there didnt seem to be any damp.

Any recommendations to get rid of this. *Also what is it a sign of.

Thanks,
Kieran

Three answers - ventilation, ventilation and ventilation.

Some friends of ours had this problem. They had well-sealed double-
glazed windows which they kept shut, and took baths with the batroom
door open. Your problem is caused by moisture in the air condensing on
a cold part of the wall/ceiling. You can scrub the mould off, but the
solution to its recurring is proper ventilation. Do you have an
extractor fan in your bathrrom? Do you bathe with the door shut and
allow the wet air to be extracted, rather than passing into the house?
Is the first floor of your house well-ventilated, or do you keep the
windows shut all the time?

Three answers - ventilation, ventilation and ventilation.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec, 21:58, geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

Richard - yes ventilation is one of the keys, and you are right about
warm moist air from the bathroom, and probably the kitchen too, but
the OP doesn't give us any info on the type, age, etc of the
property. It could well be that even with ventilation - and even with
plenty of that in the old days in my house we got condensation because
the walls were so damn cold - even with ventilation, cold walls will
create condensation and hence mould, so the use of insulating wall
paper may be worth looking at as an easy option

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check the roof felt has not deteriated above this area ,requires removal of
first row tiles to verify,it is a common fault,but easily rectified

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On 17 Dec, 10:05, kieran5405 wrote:
Hi,

In my upstairs bedroom wall, black type mould has started to appear
on the interior wall...where the ceiling meets the wall.

This is appearing on the upstairs front of house wall...mainly in the
2 top corners. I went up into the attic and tried to check the 2
corners from there as best i could...there was a lot of beams
etc...but as best as i could see there didnt seem to be any damp.

Any recommendations to get rid of this. Also what is it a sign of.

Thanks,
Kieran

Three answers - ventilation, ventilation and ventilation.

Answers 4, 5 & 6 are - ventilation.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk