Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unopenable jam jar

Tim Downie wrote:

What you really need a a jam jar with adjustable difficultly. Perhaps fit a
valve to the lid and suck it down to an adjustable level of vacuum. Then
you could clearly demonstrate that one technique would work better than
another (and teach your students something about the scientific process).

They include academics and research students in scientific disciplines,
so I don't think they'll be very impressed with my jam jars in that
regard!

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Matthews wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

I imagine that filling it up with boiling water, running a seam of
superglue along the rim and thread then screwing the lid on tightly
would get the best results.

Superglue is accellerated by moisture, so with a lot about may have
gone off before you get the lid on, or part way through.

How unopenable do you really need?

Just thinking outside the box a little, if it's supposed to be unopenable,
why not just use a tin of beans? I've never been able to screw the lid off
of one of those. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:45:38 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Just thinking outside the box a little, if it's supposed to be unopenable,
why not just use a tin of beans? I've never been able to screw the lid off
of one of those. ;-)

I wonder if there are any jars with left-handed threads?

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Just thinking outside the box a little, if it's supposed to be unopenable,
why not just use a tin of beans? I've never been able to screw the lid off
of one of those. ;-)

I wonder if there are any jars with left-handed threads?

Thomas Prufer

Nice idea.

Funnily enough, yesterday I noticed a left-handed pencil sharpener.
(Never before realised they exist!)

Partner asked whether you could get left-handed pencils... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

I want to make an unopenable jam jar - one that will resist the
strongest grips.

What's the best way to achieve this?

I imagine that filling it up with boiling water, running a seam of
superglue along the rim and thread then screwing the lid on tightly
would get the best results.

Just in case anyone else requires an unopenable jam jar, I made one that
so far has satisfactorily resisted all attempts to unscrew it.

I roughed up the glass rim with sandpaper, and ran some superglue around
it. Since that seems to do the job, I haven't felt the need to try any
of the more ambitious methods suggested.

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 15:41:37 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

I want to make an unopenable jam jar - one that will resist the
strongest grips.

What's the best way to achieve this?

I imagine that filling it up with boiling water, running a seam of
superglue along the rim and thread then screwing the lid on tightly
would get the best results.

Just in case anyone else requires an unopenable jam jar, I made one that
so far has satisfactorily resisted all attempts to unscrew it.

I roughed up the glass rim with sandpaper, and ran some superglue around
it. Since that seems to do the job, I haven't felt the need to try any
of the more ambitious methods suggested.

All right, I've got to ask, why would you want an unopenable jam jar?

--

The Wanderer

I have seen the truth - it doesn't make sense
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The. Wanderer wrote:

All right, I've got to ask, why would you want an unopenable jam jar?

To stop people nicking your jam, of course!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The. Wanderer wrote:

Just in case anyone else requires an unopenable jam jar, I made one that
so far has satisfactorily resisted all attempts to unscrew it.

I roughed up the glass rim with sandpaper, and ran some superglue around
it. Since that seems to do the job, I haven't felt the need to try any
of the more ambitious methods suggested.

All right, I've got to ask, why would you want an unopenable jam jar?

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...ead/1a4512b019
d1a3fb

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...4512b019d1a3fb

Is there much point in posting a google groups link for a thread to the
thread in question?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Is there much point in posting a google groups link for a thread to the
thread in question?

It might no longer be available on someone's news feed.

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 16:10:11 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

The. Wanderer wrote:

Just in case anyone else requires an unopenable jam jar, I made one that
so far has satisfactorily resisted all attempts to unscrew it.

I roughed up the glass rim with sandpaper, and ran some superglue around
it. Since that seems to do the job, I haven't felt the need to try any
of the more ambitious methods suggested.

All right, I've got to ask, why would you want an unopenable jam jar?

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...ead/1a4512b019
d1a3fb

Ah, ok. I had to reinstall everything on my pc about a couple of weeks ago,
and didn't bother downloading more than a 100 or so messages in each group
when I was ready, so I missed the earlier part of the thread.

--

The Wanderer

I want to die how my Grandad died, peacefully, in his sleep,
Not like his passengers, who were screaming and shouting!