Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any idea what this is please?

This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

My thanks,
Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:57:25 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

My thanks,
Nick

One of the "handles" appears to be threaded as does the inside of that
elephants trunk part..
I have no idea but could it be for bending something?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the "handles" appears to be threaded as does the inside of that
elephants trunk part..
I have no idea but could it be for bending something?

Thanks, but I don't think so.
Both handles bear the remnants of threading. These may once have had wooden
handles given the rusting to the steel.
The threading in the elephants trunk (thanks, good description) is not
plainly visible; I only saw it after taking the pics.
The body is very well crafted, constructed and finished. The whole is of
very substantial construction.
There is a pawl-like arrangement beneath the hinge that will hold the gadget
in 1 of 3 positions.
The handles or legs are ferrous and much corroded. The working end is
non-ferrous, heavy and obviously strong.
Possibly brass, gunmetal or bronze with a plated finish.
I think it may nautical but, I also, still have no idea.
Thanks again,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 00:10:59 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

[...]

I'd guess one leg was attached to a fixed point and the pawl leg
adjusted to clamp something. Or perhaps a die in the screw thread bit
to punch a hole. It certainly seems to be a tool for applying
continuous pressure
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:

There is a pawl-like arrangement beneath the hinge that will hold the gadget
in 1 of 3 positions.

Could it have been part of some much larger construction, maybe
paired with another, operating as a hinge and allowing something
(work surface? seat?) to be unfolded and locked in the desired
position?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able
to work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when
or why. Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

The lever & notches suggest a rachet of some kind.

Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 00:28:31 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Nick wrote:
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been
able to work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when
or why. Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

The lever & notches suggest a rachet of some kind.

Maybe some kind of cunning rope-tightening lever thang?

My thoughts when opening the first jpg were "grabbing a cable?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:57:25 -0000, "Nick" wrote:

I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or why.

The thing to do with the photos is to mail them to "rhvp65(at-sign)gmail.com",
who puts odd tools up on http://55tools.blogspot.com/.

Lots of folks will look and guess, and some might know.

Site's worth a browse.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomas Prufer" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:57:25 -0000, "Nick" wrote:

I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or
why.

The thing to do with the photos is to mail them to
"rhvp65(at-sign)gmail.com",
who puts odd tools up on http://55tools.blogspot.com/.

Lots of folks will look and guess, and some might know.

Site's worth a browse.

Thomas Prufer

Many thanks, interesting.
Mailed pics and have had a reply from the owner.
He doesn't know either but will ask and pop it on the blog in a week or two.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TGH TGH is offline

"Nick" wrote in message
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or
why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

It looks like and old version of a tool that we use for tightening sheep
wire before nailing it to posts,

--
The Glory Hornet

If you have nothing to do then do nothing and enjoy it!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TGH" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or
why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

It looks like and old version of a tool that we use for tightening sheep
wire before nailing it to posts,

--

Nice thought but def. a non-runner.
I use fencing pliers and these would not do the trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:34:32 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

"TGH" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or
why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

It looks like and old version of a tool that we use for tightening sheep
wire before nailing it to posts,

--

Nice thought but def. a non-runner.
I use fencing pliers and these would not do the trick.
Nick

Hmm, I'm with TGH on this one.

Inside the nose would screw the split cone wire grabber part. The flat
back of the other handle rests against the post and is held in place
by pressure on the other handle (that's pulling the wire and holding
the other handle in place via the pawl. leaving one hand free to
hammer in the staple / whatever).

Look at the bend on the 'live' handle, typical of the tension (load
and direction) that would be applied to that particular one?

So, now that's settled, what do we win? ;-)

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"TGH" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

pawl is the wrong way round for that. wont hold it stretched.

Look at the bend on the 'live' handle, typical of the tension (load
and direction) that would be applied to that particular one?

So, now that's settled, what do we win? ;-)

T i m

Its obvious from the thread below, that this is a non crash toilet set
support.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:38:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

It looks like and old version of a tool that we use for tightening sheep
wire before nailing it to posts,

Hmm, I'm with TGH on this one.

Inside the nose would screw the split cone wire grabber part. The flat
back of the other handle rests against the post and is held in place
by pressure on the other handle (that's pulling the wire and holding
the other handle in place via the pawl. leaving one hand free to
hammer in the staple / whatever).

pawl is the wrong way round for that. wont hold it stretched.

It doesn't work that way. Imagine the two handles at 180 degrees to
each other as they might be when you started tensioning, then the
'working' handle is brought round towards the other, the pawl running
freely over the hinge. As it nears 90 degrees the pawl would engage in
the first slot and then hold the second handle in place (against the
post). So now you would have the base handle resting flat against the
post and the other handle at ~90 degrees to it but in-line with the
fence wire. The bits speak for themselves, even to the bend on the
'tension handle' and the set on the back handle (slightly bent at the
root).

I know I can't spell or punctuate but I'm ok with things mechanical.
;-)

So, I suggest, like many very good theories this one will remain 'the
correct one' until disproven. ;-)

Look at the bend on the 'live' handle, typical of the tension (load
and direction) that would be applied to that particular one?

So, now that's settled, what do we win? ;-)

T i m

Its obvious from the thread below, that this is a non crash toilet set
support.

LOL

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or
why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

My thanks,
Nick

Its an old pipe bender for the cast iron gas pipes,the type that were
threaded.

You screw the pipe into the head of that tool and and bend it to 90
degrees,the hook is the stopper guide.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been
able to work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when
or why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

My thanks,
Nick

Its an old pipe bender for the cast iron gas pipes,the type that were
threaded.

You screw the pipe into the head of that tool and and bend it to 90
degrees,the hook is the stopper guide.

Sounds possible, but how strong would you have to be to bend cast iron pipe?
Can it be bent cold?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Its an old pipe bender for the cast iron gas pipes,the type that were
threaded.

You screw the pipe into the head of that tool and and bend it to 90
degrees,the hook is the stopper guide.

Sounds possible, but how strong would you have to be to bend cast iron
pipe? Can it be bent cold?

IMHO, cast iron can't be bent easily if at all. So called iron barrel
pipes are actually steel. And to bend those you use something like a
normal copper pipe bender only much larger due to the effort needed.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds rubbish to me, a cursory look at the tool and some thought about
steel/cast pipes shows this couldn't work. I felt it might (like another
poster has suggested) been a fence wire stretcher but that's only a guess.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

well mechanically it would appear to be something that forces the tubed
bit down against the handle, with a ratchet to ensure it doesn't pop
back..so in nothing is missing, its an odd thing to do, since one of the
handles needs to be located with respect to the workpiece..to do
anything at all.

It looks like it might have been designed to push something in rather
than pull it or bend it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
news

"Nick" wrote in message
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been
able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember
when or why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

Its an old pipe bender for the cast iron gas pipes,the type that
were threaded.

You screw the pipe into the head of that tool and and bend it to 90
degrees,the hook is the stopper guide.

Care to explain how one would use the tool as there doesn't seem to be
any former (as found on any other pipe bender), also wouldn't cast
iron pipe just snap?
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
news

"Nick" wrote in message
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or
why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

My thanks,
Nick

Its an old pipe bender for the cast iron gas pipes,the type that were
threaded.

You screw the pipe into the head of that tool and and bend it to 90
degrees,the hook is the stopper guide.

Afraid not, unless it's for 1/4inch and very soft pipe. No, just wouldn't
work.
Thanks for your message.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
This is sort of diy, I hope.
I was given this gadget today by a dear friend.
It has been in her family for many a year but they've never been able to
work out what is was for or what it was a part of.
I think I have seen something similar before but can't remember when or
why.
Gut feeling is that it's nautical

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

What's bugging me is that the ratchet is clearly designed to stop the
handles being pushed back together which suggests that force was needed to
pull them apart when it was in use. It might also suggest that whatever was
being worked on was held captive by the device and it wasn't just for
transiently compressing or bending something (neither of which functions
would require a ratchet).

The trouble is, there's nothing for the "elephants trunk" jaw to work
against which makes me think that perhaps one handle had to be secured in a
workbench or something. To be honest, mechanically it just looks all wrong
but no doubt there was some specialised task it was designed for.

I'll be fascinated to know what it actually is for!

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Tim Downie wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. Perhaps the threaded 'elephant trunk' part was a mounting
point. Might there have been something on the 'handles' to hold
something stretched between them?

--
djc @work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Dec, 11:59, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message

[...]

Well noted, Tim. The pawl is there to hold it open, not aid in getting
it closed.

I'm intrigued that it is asymmetrical: one side of the hinge is flat,
the other has a boss.

If it has to have wooden handles then I can't work out why one side is
flat, unless whatever it works on is smaller than the distance from
the hinge to the wooden handle.

The screw thread means something is added - an adapter of some sort,
and the tool is used to hold something relatively small open
temporarily against a fairly powerful force.

If it has the screw thread for an adapter, then it tells us it is used
for more than one task (and that at least one bit is missing)

Perhaps part of a maintenance tool kit for a piece of agricultural
machinery? Or possibly a specialised tool used in the manufacture of
something?

Sid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
the tool is used to hold something relatively small open
temporarily against a fairly powerful force.

AKA 'honeymoon pliers' ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Dec, 15:54, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
the tool is used to hold something relatively small open
temporarily against a fairly powerful force.

AKA 'honeymoon pliers' ;-)

http://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/documents/5000/6.3.pdf

Yup.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
the tool is used to hold something relatively small open
temporarily against a fairly powerful force.

AKA 'honeymoon pliers' ;-)

http://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/documents/5000/6.3.pdf

Yup.

I have a set of hellerman stretchers in my toolbox. Never in 40 years
heard the expression 'honeymoon pliers'. Though I can quite see the
point
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:54:54 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

the tool is used to hold something relatively small open
temporarily against a fairly powerful force.

AKA 'honeymoon pliers' ;-)

AKA a tw*t stretcher

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:29:58 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:54:54 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

the tool is used to hold something relatively small open
temporarily against a fairly powerful force.

AKA 'honeymoon pliers' ;-)

AKA a tw*t stretcher

I and my ex colleagues must obviously be a more genteel set than you
lot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the tool is used to hold something relatively small open
temporarily against a fairly powerful force.

AKA 'honeymoon pliers' ;-)

Sounds painful !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 11 Dec, 11:59, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message

[...]

Or hold it closed if the gadget is working against another part of the tool?
I think the symmetry may be decorative, perhaps the bossed side was the
operators view?
There are no signs of anything having been broken off and I think it almost
certainly is not agricultural, it's too well made.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

That's along the lines I'm thinking.
It is not a ratchet but more a pawl arrangement that might keep constant
pressure upon whatever is subjected to the item.
I'm sure this is part of a larger device.
The legs are of equal length and would not be sturdy enough to withstand and
great force, about 5/16" dia.
The elephants trunk might be designed to accept different whatevers to do
whatever it is supposed to do to whatever it is supposed to be doing it to.
Scratches head.
Thanks for your message.
If ever I find a definitive answer I will post it here.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nick" saying
something like:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

Something screws into the end of the head and is tensioned by the
setting of the pawl - the head of the tool is held against something
else, like a bench or workpiece while the handles are squeezed.
In short, it looks like a tensioning or straightening tool for wire or
something similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nick" saying
something like:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity1.jpg
and
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...ng/Oddity2.jpg
Hope these work, never done it before.

Something screws into the end of the head and is tensioned by the
setting of the pawl

Nope, don't think so. The pawl is set up to hold the handles apart, not
together.

- the head of the tool is held against something
else, like a bench or workpiece while the handles are squeezed.
In short, it looks like a tensioning or straightening tool for wire or
something similar.

Without the pawl, I'd agree it could be used for tensioning with the tool
resting on a solid surface but the pawl is just the wrong way round for
tensioning anything.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

[...]

How about a (large) spoke tensioner? The threaded bit is run onto the top of
a spoke (with a lock nut further down). the other part is forced against the
wheel rim to tension the spoke and the lock nut done up while held with the
pawl. Or something similar.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Tim Downie" wrote in message

[...]

Demon idea Bob and perhaps best yet, you may get the fiver
I'm thinking of Ordinary or pennyfarthing type bicycles but I can't see that
it would work.
The thread in the elephants trunk is way too large and the shape of the
gadget would damage the rim without a former.
However, apply this to a spoked car/lorry wheel and I think it might work.
Pressure applied across the rim, rather than in the rotational direction,
three pawl positions to allow similar and sequential tensioning to spokes.
Yes, I think that might work.
Many thanks indeed, I'll make further enquiries.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Tim Downie" wrote in message

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nick"
saying something like:

[...]

If its for spoked car wheels, they might know at Beamish.
http://www.beamish.org.uk/Home.aspx

They have an authentic 1910 high street with a brilliant 'purveyor of fine
motor vehicles' including a workshop - some very knowledgeable people.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
Idea 2 watchec Home Repair 0 April 26th 08 07:50 AM
Brilliant Idea or Dumb Idea charlie b Woodturning 10 September 24th 06 03:18 PM
Win-win idea Alwen Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 07:15 PM