Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plastboard fixing foam

Does anyone know if "door and window" fixer foam is the same as that
used for fixing plasterboard?

I have 2-3 cans of the frame fixer but am running out of the
plasterboard fixer.

If they are the same it will save me a trip to the BM tomorrow.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec, 19:02, Martin Carroll wrote:
Does anyone know if "door and window" fixer foam is the same as that
used for fixing plasterboard?

I have 2-3 cans of the frame fixer but am running out of the
plasterboard fixer.

If they are the same it will save me a trip to the BM tomorrow.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

I've never used the p/board foam, but have used the framing foam many
times.
If you've got the same stuff I use, then you'll know that it sticks
like s**t to ANYTHING,
(including fingers!) so, I reckon it'll definitely bond your p/board!

Only thing is, as a gap filler, it expands to many times it's original
volume so, unless
your plasterboard is braced, it is likely to push it away from the
wall and will bow the board,
over its longest length. Assuming you're talking about using the foam
for dot-and-dab fixing?

HTH
deano.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 10, 9:53*pm, deano wrote:
[...]

IMHO most of the expansion occurs very soon after it comes out of the
can. By the time you've applied a few "dots & dabs" and got the board
in place, it will have more or less finished expanding.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Man at B&Q writes
On Dec 10, 9:53*pm, deano wrote:
[...]

Yes, it doesn't expand that much, probably doubles in size at most.

Also when using to fix plasterboard there is plenty of space for
sideways expansion of the foam.

What does seem to happen is that the foam seems to naturally force out
any bends in the board so when placing it vertically for instance any
slight bows are forced out to produce a pretty straight line.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 10 Dec, 19:02, Martin Carroll wrote:
Does anyone know if "door and window" fixer foam is the same as that
used for fixing plasterboard?

I have 2-3 cans of the frame fixer but am running out of the
plasterboard fixer.

If they are the same it will save me a trip to the BM tomorrow.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

Expanding foam is different to the foam board adhesive.

Expanding foam will expand for about an hour, and take several hours
to harden.

The board adhesive will expand when it comes out, but thats it. It
will also set in about 3 minutes and harden well within an hour
(especially if you mist it with water) so that you can skim the board

dg

Foam Sealer .-.MINDY.-. Home Repair 3 March 18th 08 04:11 AM
Fixing a UPVC door using foam? Anyone done it or have stories to tell? Phil L UK diy 15 May 29th 06 10:09 AM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM
Foam - where to buy? mo UK diy 8 September 30th 05 10:31 AM
Do it yourself foam? Pat Keith Home Repair 4 September 2nd 03 11:43 AM