Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas check query

My sister had a mechanic come to check her gas boiler and
installation. As she was at work I was at her home at the time. It was
the annual gas check that landlords have to arrange for their tenants.
The mechanic discovered that his carbon monoxide detector wasn't
working. He did, however do all the other checks he could do, and
promised a new appointment would be made for a proper CO check. No
further call was made, the company just sent her a certificate saying
that it was not necessary to do a CO check as all the other checks had
been done and there was no CO leaks. Is this correct or should she
insist that her landlords arranges for a proper CO check to be made?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:11:16 -0800 (PST), fido wrote:

My sister had a mechanic come to check her gas boiler and
installation. As she was at work I was at her home at the time. It was
the annual gas check that landlords have to arrange for their tenants.
The mechanic discovered that his carbon monoxide detector wasn't
working. He did, however do all the other checks he could do, and
promised a new appointment would be made for a proper CO check. No
further call was made, the company just sent her a certificate saying
that it was not necessary to do a CO check as all the other checks had
been done and there was no CO leaks. Is this correct or should she
insist that her landlords arranges for a proper CO check to be made?

Do rented properties need a CO Alarm to be fitted or is it only in
HMO's Might be worth your sisters while buying one of her own for
peace of mind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec, 15:36, fred wrote:
In article ,
writes

[...]

It's possible he meant that his combustion gas analyser wasn't working,
it measures the CO content of the flue gasses to check that combustion
is correct. Incorrect combustion can wreck a boiler so I wouldn't pay
someone for a boiler check unless he had a working one and used it.
--

Thanks for that information, it was the flue he was trying to check.
She doesn't have to pay for the check, that's the landlord's
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:11:16 -0800, fido wrote:

My sister had a mechanic come to check her gas boiler and
installation. As she was at work I was at her home at the time. It was
the annual gas check that landlords have to arrange for their tenants.
The mechanic discovered that his carbon monoxide detector wasn't
working. He did, however do all the other checks he could do, and
promised a new appointment would be made for a proper CO check. No
further call was made, the company just sent her a certificate saying
that it was not necessary to do a CO check as all the other checks had
been done and there was no CO leaks. Is this correct or should she
insist that her landlords arranges for a proper CO check to be made?

It's OK: a combustion analyser test isn't mandatory for a Landlord's Gas
Safety Report. If an engineer doing a LLGS has an analyser they may use it
to determine whether the boiler (or some other appliances) need servicing,
but it's not required for the Gas Safety report itself.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Many hands make light work. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:11:16 -0800 (PST), fido wrote:

My sister had a mechanic come to check her gas boiler and
installation. As she was at work I was at her home at the time. It was
the annual gas check that landlords have to arrange for their tenants.
The mechanic discovered that his carbon monoxide detector wasn't
working. He did, however do all the other checks he could do, and
promised a new appointment would be made for a proper CO check. No
further call was made, the company just sent her a certificate saying
that it was not necessary to do a CO check as all the other checks had
been done and there was no CO leaks. Is this correct or should she
insist that her landlords arranges for a proper CO check to be made?

Did he issue her with a gas safety certificate? (A pass and not a
fail)

Tenants have to have one by law. If the landlord refuses then health
and safety are gagging to get involved. There've been a couple of
deaths from gas appliances recently so they will be keen to prevent
more.

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:36:41 +0000, fred wrote:

In article ,
writes
[...]

While it is a useful tool, it is not required, nor legally required in
order to perform checks on domestic gas appliances.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ed Sirett
writes
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:36:41 +0000, fred wrote:

It's possible he meant that his combustion gas analyser wasn't working,
it measures the CO content of the flue gasses to check that combustion
is correct. Incorrect combustion can wreck a boiler so I wouldn't pay
someone for a boiler check unless he had a working one and used it.

While it is a useful tool, it is not required, nor legally required in
order to perform checks on domestic gas appliances.

Thanks for the correction, I thought that was probably the case as
systems have been set up and safety checked for years without the need
for them but decided to avoid confusing the issue.

Still, it's nice to have a guy with all the toys (working) on site to
predict long term problems in the making on an installation.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:57:01 -0800 (PST), fido wrote:

On 10 Dec, 15:36, fred wrote:
In article ,
writes

[...]

Did she get a gas safety certificate issued?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:54:21 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , Ed Sirett
writes
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:36:41 +0000, fred wrote:

It's possible he meant that his combustion gas analyser wasn't
working, it measures the CO content of the flue gasses to check that
combustion is correct. Incorrect combustion can wreck a boiler so I
wouldn't pay someone for a boiler check unless he had a working one
and used it.

While it is a useful tool, it is not required, nor legally required in
order to perform checks on domestic gas appliances.

Thanks for the correction, I thought that was probably the case as
systems have been set up and safety checked for years without the need
for them but decided to avoid confusing the issue.

Still, it's nice to have a guy with all the toys (working) on site to
predict long term problems in the making on an installation.

I doubt that using a combustion analyser is that predictive. It has two
main uses one is to get/check the combustion right on forced premix
burners. The other is to see how well a boiler is burning, if it checks
out 99.6% over the range of gas rates then you can be sure the pressure
ans rates are good. Not having this makes toy means you have to perform
other checks which take a lot longer and/or it is difficult to keep the
boiler in the right condition while the checks are done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Dec, 18:55, mogga wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:57:01 -0800 (PST), fido wrote:
On 10 Dec, 15:36, fred wrote:
In article ,
writes

[...]

yes, eventually it was sent by post... 'pass'

I HAVE A QUERY FOR EVERYONE \Jeanette\ Home Repair 4 April 18th 07 03:14 AM
JVC TV query planet Electronics Repair 1 February 10th 05 09:05 AM
Regulation 607 query N. Thornton UK diy 4 January 9th 05 01:49 PM
Regulation 607 query Trevor Smith UK diy 17 January 8th 05 11:36 PM
TS: "Why don't they" query John Moorhead Woodworking 13 December 19th 04 08:27 PM