Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal Halide lamp compatibiliy

I need to replace a Metal Halide lamp in a light fitting. The bulb is
marked:
SYLVANIA METALARC HSI-TD 150W/NDL UV-STOP. It's about 130mm long.

None of the Internet retailers I already have an account with stock this
exact lamp, so I'm trying to figure out what other lamps might be
compatible. Does anyone know if one of these would work?

http://uk.farnell.com/osram/h150nd-h...50w/dp/1528728
(seems compatible but this lamp specifies a 90V supply - does the light
fitting contain a transformer?)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25381/...L-RX7S-24-150W
(seems compatible, but claims to be 180mm long - a typo?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting

http://uk.farnell.com/osram/h150nd-h...eutral-150w/dp...
(seems compatible but this lamp specifies a 90V supply - does the light
fitting contain a transformer?)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25381/...Lamps/Powersta...
(seems compatible, but claims to be 180mm long - a typo?)

crossposted to sci.engr.lighting

Sylvania is mainly U.S. brand of Osram, 90V will be taken care of by
the ballast , not a transformer possibly still big lump of iron in
fitting.

Looks like a fairly standard 150W single ended tubular lamp, depends
if you need a very specific colour.

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting

In sci.engr.lighting Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 6 Dec, 16:27, "rgrgrgr" wrote:
I need to replace a Metal Halide lamp in a light fitting. The bulb is
marked:
SYLVANIA METALARC HSI-TD 150W/NDL UV-STOP. It's about 130mm long.

Googling this marking yields
http://www.golamp.co.kr/sylvania/hid_hsitd.htm , which says your lamp is
150 W, 95 V, 1.8 A, Rx7s base, 137 mm long x 24 mm diameter, clear
glass, 4200 K color temperature, 13,000 lumens.

http://uk.farnell.com/osram/h150nd-h...eutral-150w/dp...

This got cut off in the cross-post (Google Groups is many things, but a
good newsreader it isn't), but doing a search at Farnell shows that
Farnell stock numbers 1528728 (current stock) or 3415880 (limited to
stock on hand) will probably replace the lamp you have.

Stock numbers 1528727 (current) or 3415879 (limited) will also work, but
the light color will be a little different - these are "warm white" and
more yellow than the lamp you have now. The difference is the color
temperature - the number that's usually a few thousand degrees Kelvin.
The lamp you have now is rated 4200 K and these two are rated 3000 K.
As a comparison, a standard incandescent lamp will be something like
2700-2900 K. All of these lamps sell for about £17 at Farnell, which
seems a little high.

(seems compatible but this lamp specifies a 90V supply - does the
light fitting contain a transformer?)

Yes. There is a ballast that limits the current (and hence voltage) to
the lamp.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25381/...Lamps/Powersta...
(seems compatible, but claims to be 180mm long - a typo?)

It's a complete typo; it also claims to be 158 mm diameter, which it
clearly isn't. This lamp at £10, or Screwfix 47458 at £20, both would
seem to be a good match.

RS stock number 569-644 at £17 also seems to be a good match.

I'm pretty sure I've seen lamps like this on the shelf at general
home-improvement retailers like Lowe's and Home Depot (in the US).
Homebase is probably the equivalent store in the UK. They don't list
such a lamp on their site, but (in the US) these stores only show a
fraction of their stock on their Web sites, so they may well have it in
the store. Take the old one with you if you're shopping in person.

Matt Roberds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rgrgrgr" wrote in message
I need to replace a Metal Halide lamp in a light fitting. The bulb is
marked:
SYLVANIA METALARC HSI-TD 150W/NDL UV-STOP. It's about 130mm long.

None of the Internet retailers I already have an account with stock this
exact lamp, so I'm trying to figure out what other lamps might be
compatible. Does anyone know if one of these would work?

http://uk.farnell.com/osram/h150nd-h...50w/dp/1528728
(seems compatible but this lamp specifies a 90V supply - does the light
fitting contain a transformer?)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25381/...L-RX7S-24-150W
(seems compatible, but claims to be 180mm long - a typo?)

Wilkepedia has some interesting info on Metal Halide Lamps including a large
paragraph on Spectral emission (Colour Temperature)

Don

Metal Halide Toby UK diy 6 September 24th 08 03:45 PM
Metal halide interior lighting Mark UK diy 7 March 18th 07 08:21 PM
Metal Halide Don Klipstein Home Repair 0 December 5th 05 03:37 AM
metal halide bulbs testing? Steve Vitale Electronics Repair 4 October 30th 04 09:02 PM