Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Lights

Seen in the freezers in Sainsbury's today - strips of LEDs in a clear
acrylic housing strip. The cold light was is ideally suited to the inside of
a freezer - and no heat given off.

Would make decent under cabinet lights in a kitchen I felt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes
Seen in the freezers in Sainsbury's today - strips of LEDs in a clear
acrylic housing strip. The cold light was is ideally suited to the inside of
a freezer - and no heat given off.

Would make decent under cabinet lights in a kitchen I felt.

Speaking of which....

We had a visitor who lives for retail therapy. For years I have been
meaning to avoid the annoyance of blown filaments on Christmas lights by
going to LED.

So out they went to trawl round the garden centres etc. Came back very
subdued. Apparently strings of LED lights were considered too bright to
possibly go on our tree so we have yet another string of filament lamps.
grrrr.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , John
writes
Seen in the freezers in Sainsbury's today - strips of LEDs in a clear
acrylic housing strip. The cold light was is ideally suited to the inside
of
a freezer - and no heat given off.

Would make decent under cabinet lights in a kitchen I felt.

Speaking of which....

We had a visitor who lives for retail therapy. For years I have been
meaning to avoid the annoyance of blown filaments on Christmas lights by
going to LED.

So out they went to trawl round the garden centres etc. Came back very
subdued. Apparently strings of LED lights were considered too bright to
possibly go on our tree so we have yet another string of filament lamps.
grrrr.

Sometimes filiment lights seem too bright so I put a diode in the live
lead enclosed in the 13A plug. Apart from dimming them, they are
significantly under-run and last year after year.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , John
writes
[...]

But can you remember where you stored them after Xmas - and why aren't you
supporting the Chinese and their shipping industry by buying new ones each
year?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

[...]

I once saw a very old set that had apparently seen hard times, and had
several bulbholders missing, meaning the whole thing ran well above
voltage. Bulbs didnt last too well.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
Seen in the freezers in Sainsbury's today - strips of LEDs in a clear
acrylic housing strip. The cold light was is ideally suited to the
inside of a freezer - and no heat given off.

LEDs do give off heat. Of course the dimmer ones not so much. And all
better than tungsten.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Nov, 00:26, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *John wrote:

Seen in the freezers in Sainsbury's today - strips of LEDs in a clear
acrylic housing strip. The cold light was is ideally suited to the
inside of a freezer - and no heat given off.

LEDs do give off heat. Of course the dimmer ones not so much. And all
better than tungsten.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Efficiency of LEDs rises substantially with lower temperature , unlike
fluro or tungsten, make fridge lighting an ideal app.

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

But can you remember where you stored them after Xmas - and why aren't you
supporting the Chinese and their shipping industry by buying new ones each
year?

Finding them is not my responsibility.

There seem to have been changes since the original sets were bought (for
my daughter's wedding) as replacement bulbs of the correct voltage do
not match the fittings.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:43:28 -0000, "John"
wrote:

But can you remember where you stored them after Xmas - and why aren't you
supporting the Chinese and their shipping industry by buying new ones each
year?

On e Xmas I found two sets of lights with the same fittings. Neither
set was working so I started taking bulbs from one and trying them in
the other.
I got through several before I noticed one set had 20 bulbs and the
other had 40. I'd been trying 6V bulbs in the 12V set.
I HATE these things!

I then saw a cheap set of LED Xmas lights when on holiday.
I didn't check them at the time but when I got home they were all RED
LEDs. Sod all use use to anyone! (and I couldn't take them back)