Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Instant heat handwarmer

I have bought a pair of instant heat handwarmers, they worked fine the
first time but despite following the instructions (to wrap and put in
a pan of hot water) I can't recharge them - as I they warm they get to
a 'halfmelted' stage and dont liquify any further

Have tried putting them on a radiator too but no joy

Help!

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Anna Kettle wrote:
I have bought a pair of instant heat handwarmers, they worked fine the
first time but despite following the instructions (to wrap and put in
a pan of hot water) I can't recharge them - as I they warm they get to
a 'halfmelted' stage and dont liquify any further

Have tried putting them on a radiator too but no joy

Help!

Don't just put in a pan - you will probably need to place that pan on a
heat source (e.g. the cooker). Even then, the melting takes quite a
while (several minutes). Just be careful not to overdo it and burn/melt
the plastic bag.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Anna Kettle wrote:
I have bought a pair of instant heat handwarmers, they worked fine the
first time but despite following the instructions (to wrap and put in
a pan of hot water) I can't recharge them - as I they warm they get to
a 'halfmelted' stage and dont liquify any further

Have tried putting them on a radiator too but no joy

Help!

Boil them for about 20 minutes. Make sure you don't run out of water in
the pan.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Anna Kettle wrote:
I have bought a pair of instant heat handwarmers, they worked fine
the first time but despite following the instructions (to wrap and
put in a pan of hot water) I can't recharge them - as I they warm
they get to a 'halfmelted' stage and dont liquify any further

Have tried putting them on a radiator too but no joy

Help!

Don't just put in a pan - you will probably need to place that pan on
a heat source (e.g. the cooker). Even then, the melting takes quite a
while (several minutes). Just be careful not to overdo it and
burn/melt the plastic bag.

BTDTGTTS - several times. ;-)

You're not boiling it long enough if there are still crystals visble. A hot
radiator will not do it.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Boil!

You have to put a ridiculous amount of energy in, for the little you
get out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Boil!

You have to put a ridiculous amount of energy in, for the little you
get out.

You want to be holding them near to 100 C, but not trying to boil all the
water away (which is just wasting energy). They will take a while to
liquidise, this is why they work so well as handwarmers. They absorb energy
(latent heat of fusion) while melting and release it while solidifying. In
contrast, a hot water bottle will store much less energy for a given volume.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Anna Kettle wrote:
I have bought a pair of instant heat handwarmers, they worked fine
the first time but despite following the instructions (to wrap and
put in a pan of hot water) I can't recharge them - as I they warm
they get to a 'halfmelted' stage and dont liquify any further

Have tried putting them on a radiator too but no joy

Help!

Boil them for about 20 minutes. Make sure you don't run out of water
in the pan.

Serve with a hollandaise sauce, mange tout & couscous...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
I have bought a pair of instant heat handwarmers, they worked fine the
first time but despite following the instructions (to wrap and put in
a pan of hot water) I can't recharge them - as I they warm they get to
a 'halfmelted' stage and dont liquify any further

Have tried putting them on a radiator too but no joy

Help!

You haven't read the instructions.. put something in the bottom of a
saucepan (pyrex plate) so they don't rest on the bottom, fill with water,
cover, bring to boil and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
You don't need to boil rapidly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You haven't read the instructions.. put something in the bottom of a
saucepan (pyrex plate) so they don't rest on the bottom, fill with
water, cover, bring to boil and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
You don't need to boil rapidly.

or if you're posh use your bain-marie

or if you're really posh, tell your cook to used the bain-marie
--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:20:00 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Boil!

You have to put a ridiculous amount of energy in, for the little you
get out.

But for someone who suffers with reynards its the difference between
pain and not pain. I've got the round circle ones.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Boil!

You have to put a ridiculous amount of energy in, for the little you
get out.

But for someone who suffers with reynards its the difference between
pain and not pain. I've got the round circle ones.

I think you mean Reynaud's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_disease

not Reynard's. :-)

However, my main reason for posting was to point out the heat pads which
are single use (disposable). I found the post below which says what I
wanted to say, including prices:

"Disposable heat pads which stick to your underwear and heat the painful
area for up to 12 hours are very good but are expensive (approx £3.99
for three) very expensive if you need them regularly.

The cheapest disposable heat pads ive found are in Wilkinsons at 99p for
a pack of two (these are also available on-line at Wilkinson plus."

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=15836127

I can confirm that they work just fine. (Partner has a similar problem
that is helped ot some extent by these pads.) They *are* expensive but
for occasional use, maybe when the gel pads are awaiting recharge, that
might be acceptable.

In case Anna is still reading:

Have you thought of getting in quicklime and doing your own slaking? :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:58:35 +0000, Rod
wrote:

In case Anna is still reading:

Have you thought of getting in quicklime and doing your own slaking? :-)

Banish the thought! Slaking quicklime is a boys game :-)

These heat pads are for warming my hands when I am sailing on the
broads. Dont ask why I should be sailing on the broads in mid winter

Anna