Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending underground cables

Hi,

I am replacing a garden light. There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short. The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Is the choc-block wrapped in tape good enough?

Are there sealed connectors that can be used?

thanks

dan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan Smithers" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I am replacing a garden light. There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short. The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Is the choc-block wrapped in tape good enough?

Are there sealed connectors that can be used?

thanks

Think laterally - put another light where the cable ends and use that as the
joiner

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan Smithers wrote:

I am replacing a garden light. There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short. The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

Hopefully the cable is SWA (ie. armoured cable)?

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

If it isn't SWA it ought to be redone anyway.

Is the choc-block wrapped in tape good enough?

I think you know the answer is "No".

Are there sealed connectors that can be used?

If it is SWA, you can use the 2-way versions of these

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...led/index.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_1/index.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan Smithers wrote:
I am replacing a garden light. There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short. The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

Need to know what type of cable.

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Yes.

Is the choc-block wrapped in tape good enough?

No.

Are there sealed connectors that can be used?

Yes.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan Smithers" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I am replacing a garden light. There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short. The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Is the choc-block wrapped in tape good enough?

Is it mains?
If so it isn't.

Are there sealed connectors that can be used?

If its 12V then a couple of cheap crimps and some shrink wrap would be OK.

If its mains, buy a water proof connector or junction box or a joint kit
like

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/27874

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dan Smithers wrote:
Hi,

I am replacing a garden light. There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short. The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Is the choc-block wrapped in tape good enough?

Are there sealed connectors that can be used?

thanks

dan

You do not say if this is mains or low voltage (i.e. 12V). That might
make a difference to people's perception of the issues.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:41:40 +0000 someone who may be Dan Smithers
wrote this:-

I am replacing a garden light.

Replacing it, or fitting a new light in a new place and removing the
old one?

There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short.

Too short to go into the new fitting by a few cm? Can you get a bit
more out of the ground?

The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

What sort of cable, what depth, what protection, what voltage?

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Probably, though it depends on the type of cable.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am replacing a garden light.

Replacing it, or fitting a new light in a new place and removing the
old one?

Removing the old one and replacing it with a different one in the same
position. The contacts for the new one are not in the same place as the
old ones.

There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short.

Too short to go into the new fitting by a few cm?

Correct.

Can you get a bit
more out of the ground?

I'm trying to get the information before I tackle the base at the
weekend. With any luck I will be able to get a bit more out of the
ground, but if I can't...

The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

What sort of cable, what depth, what protection, what voltage?

Three core cable, mains voltage. The end I can see appears to have a
casing that finishes a few inches before the end of the outer insulation.

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Probably, though it depends on the type of cable.

I shall probably go and visit the local Screwfix for their connector.
Unfortunately the local electrical factor has closed so buying the extra
half meter of SWA cable is going to be a bit awkward.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:08:01 +0000, Dan Smithers wrote:

Too short to go into the new fitting by a few cm?

Correct.

Now we know a few more important details. How long is a "few cm"?

If the cable is long enough to fully and properly(*) enter the enclosure
with the terminals but the wires won't quite reach the terminals your
suggested choc block and tape will do, suitably rated extension wires and
choc block of course. Crimps would be better but to do those properly you
need a rachet crimper not a simple pliers jobbie.

(*) SWA should terminate in a proper gland on the enclosure to keep water
of the cable and enclosure. IIRC the armouring should also be connected to
the CPC.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

TLC sell SWA by the meter and deliver for free

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan Smithers wrote:
Hi,

I am replacing a garden light. There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short. The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Is the choc-block wrapped in tape good enough?

Only if the join is inside the new fitting. i.e. you can extend the
wires in the cable to make them reach new terminal positions so long as
the cable itself and its outer sheath still get into the fitting.

Are there sealed connectors that can be used?

There are - see the TLC links.

You can identify exactly what type of cable you have by looking he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cable

or possibly:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Flex

(note the second link may be broken at the mo)

The answer will dictate what method you can use to make a joint outside
or underground if you need to.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unfortunately the local electrical factor has closed so buying the

extra
half meter of SWA cable is going to be a bit awkward.

TLC sell SWA by the meter and deliver for free

thanks.

I've also spotted that I'm not too far from their Coulsden branch.

I think that an extra meter of cable, a short length of flexible ducting
so the cable can be accessed without breaking the concrete base that I'm
proposing and a resin-filled connector will be the way to go. Too late
for this weekend though.

I expect that 1.5mm 3-core will be more than enough for a light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan Smithers formulated the question :
Hi,

I am replacing a garden light. There is an underground cable from the
house to the site, but the cable is too short. The cable runs under the
driveway and along a flower bed.

That depends upon the cable type. The standard method for an
underground armoured cable joint would be a special joint made by the
likes of 3m. It is basically connectors and a clamp + link for the
earthing armour. In the kit is a box shape for a mold. Once jointed and
encased, you pour a two part resin compound into the mold, which then
makes the whole thing waterproof and solid. The resin is fairly similar
to Araldite.

Is there a safe and effective way of extending this as I don't want to
redo the entire drive?

Is the choc-block wrapped in tape good enough?

Absolutely not!

Are there sealed connectors that can be used?

See above.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan Smithers wrote:
Unfortunately the local electrical factor has closed so buying the

extra
half meter of SWA cable is going to be a bit awkward.

TLC sell SWA by the meter and deliver for free

thanks.

I've also spotted that I'm not too far from their Coulsden branch.

I think that an extra meter of cable, a short length of flexible ducting
so the cable can be accessed without breaking the concrete base that I'm
proposing and a resin-filled connector will be the way to go. Too late
for this weekend though.

I expect that 1.5mm 3-core will be more than enough for a light.

You probably only need two core - you use the armour as an earth.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...rmour_as_a_CPC

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan Smithers" wrote in message ...

Unfortunately the local electrical factor has closed so buying the

extra
half meter of SWA cable is going to be a bit awkward.

TLC sell SWA by the meter and deliver for free

thanks.

I've also spotted that I'm not too far from their Coulsden branch.

I think that an extra meter of cable, a short length of flexible ducting
so the cable can be accessed without breaking the concrete base that I'm
proposing and a resin-filled connector will be the way to go. Too late
for this weekend though.

I expect that 1.5mm 3-core will be more than enough for a light.

The TLC guys at Coulsdon are very helpfull.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:08:01 +0000 someone who may be Dan Smithers
wrote this:-

Removing the old one and replacing it with a different one in the same
position. The contacts for the new one are not in the same place as the
old ones.

Can you not mount it a few cm lower?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh