Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Skimming on painted plaster ?

I have offered to skim a a very rough chimney breast for a friend who
has painted it with a silk finish.
If I scour it with a good rough sandpaper and then pva it, will
multifinish get a good grip ?

Thanks

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike
writes
I have offered to skim a a very rough chimney breast for a friend who
has painted it with a silk finish.
If I scour it with a good rough sandpaper and then pva it, will
multifinish get a good grip ?

We had some painted walls skimmed in the old house. Don't know if he
sanded it or not - but it won't do any harm will it. But he certainly
PVA-ed it.

The skim was still sound a few years later when we moved.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike" wrote in message
I have offered to skim a a very rough chimney breast for a friend who
has painted it with a silk finish.
If I scour it with a good rough sandpaper and then pva it, will
multifinish get a good grip ?

I think I'd be just as worried on how well the paint is stuck onto the
plaster below!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike writes:
I have offered to skim a a very rough chimney breast for a friend who
has painted it with a silk finish.
If I scour it with a good rough sandpaper and then pva it, will
multifinish get a good grip ?

Probably don't need to score it. Just paint with diluted
PVA, and plaster onto it when almost dry but still
slightly tacky.

Obviously, the plaster can never stick better than
the paint is stuck, so if the paint is coming away,
then this won't work. If the chimney breast got damp
from the back in the future, the paint and plaster
would fall away.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:37:40 +0000, Mike wrote:

Follow up.

Well it is done and all polished up. The paint was well on ( the silk
finish was the bit that worried me ) and the plaster was fine, apart
from it originally looking as if the wall had been part of a
battleground.
Thanks for replies.

Mike P