Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT maybe

Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message
Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then.

my personal preferance, i'd get a non frost free jobbie anyday, the frost
free's consume more power operating the frost free bit (not sure about
nowadays, used to be a small heater element around the condenser coils
operated every 23 hours)

we have a fridge over a freezer unit, uses fans and motorized duct flaps to
draw cold air from the freezer to cool the fridge, even tho it's frost free,
it still freezes up around the fan in the back of the freezer, makes a hell
of a racket when the ice contacts the blades,

so we have to manually defrost the bugger anyway, which is handy as it
allows us to get rid of all the little bits of veggies and the like in the
bottom of bags that's taking up room yet will never be eaten by us (our
fancy rats love the frozen veggies tho, dunno why i cant remember the left
overs in the freezer and feed them with it sooner, but somehow they hide in
the bottom of a freezer and only surface when you clean it out

Most fridge freezers seem to be 55 to 60 cm's nowadays, used to be able to
get 50cm ones, but not no more, i wanted one for my motorhome as the door is
50.5 cm's wide, had to get a 12 volt compressor version at 49cm wide in the
end, at 500 bloody quid, uses just as much power as a domestic one would
have running off my inverter,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:27:31 +0000
Alang wrote:

Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then

Tried both. Frost free fridge - OK, frost-free freezer more trouble
than it's worth. I've got an AEG Fuzzy-logic one now. FF fridge over
normal freezer - lovely (6 years on) takes just two hours to defrost.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gazz" wrote in message

"Alang" wrote in message
Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then.

my personal preferance, i'd get a non frost free jobbie anyday, the frost
free's consume more power operating the frost free bit (not sure about
nowadays, used to be a small heater element around the condenser coils
operated every 23 hours)

What he said. Don't!

They also tend to have lousy temperature control due to one minute the
heater is warming the thing up to melt the ice, then the next its running
flat out to bring the temp back down again..

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang wrote:

Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then

Tried both. Frost free fridge - OK, frost-free freezer more trouble
than it's worth. I've got an AEG Fuzzy-logic one now. FF fridge over
normal freezer - lovely (6 years on) takes just two hours to defrost.

Thanks to all.
We have a small galley style kitchen so the width is important.
Current model is 50cms. The cooker too is slimline. A tricity 46cms
wide so god knows how we will manage if that ever needs replacing.

Looks like frost free freezer is a nono. Gives us more choice but I
really do hate the annual freezer deicing

Wish I could train the wife to do it without destroying the thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang wrote:
Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then

If it lasted 18 years I'd buy another one of them :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang wrote:

Thanks to all.
We have a small galley style kitchen so the width is important.
Current model is 50cms. The cooker too is slimline. A tricity 46cms
wide so god knows how we will manage if that ever needs replacing.

Looks like frost free freezer is a nono. Gives us more choice but I
really do hate the annual freezer deicing

The 'frost free' ones do it for you, usually without warning and while full
of food.

Wish I could train the wife to do it without destroying the thing.

simply bag up your frozen foods and ask a freind or relative to 'mind them'
for a few days, switch the thing off for 48 hours after lining the bottom
with old bath towels.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Alang wrote:
Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then

If it lasted 18 years I'd buy another one of them :-)

Dave - The Medway Handyman

Funny, but that's what I thought as well. It lasted 18 years, so it's a
good un'. I'd be looking for something exactly the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:

Funny, but that's what I thought as well. It lasted 18 years, so it's a
good un'. I'd be looking for something exactly the same.

They'll have "improved" their range since then :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
BigWallop wrote:

Funny, but that's what I thought as well. It lasted 18 years, so it's a
good un'. I'd be looking for something exactly the same.

They'll have "improved" their range since then :-(

So you are looking for an 18 year old model then :-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:10:13 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
BigWallop wrote:

Funny, but that's what I thought as well. It lasted 18 years, so it's a
good un'. I'd be looking for something exactly the same.

They'll have "improved" their range since then :-(

So you are looking for an 18 year old model then :-)

Aren't we all, ducky? Aren't we all?

--
The Wanderer

I want to die how my Grandad died, peacefully, in his sleep,
Not like his passengers, who were screaming and shouting!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang wrote:

Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then

Like others said, not having to defrost is nice but not really worth
the dramatic drop in reliability that comes with it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:35:14 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. com...
Alang wrote:
Frostfree fridge freezers- are they any good or should I just stick to
the normal one when renewing?

We want a fridge above freezer below. Max width 55cms. Max height
1.7M

Any suggestions as the last time we bought one was 18 years ago and
things have changed since then

If it lasted 18 years I'd buy another one of them :-)

Dave - The Medway Handyman

Funny, but that's what I thought as well. It lasted 18 years, so it's a
good un'. I'd be looking for something exactly the same.

Tricity Bendix. Not a brand available in any of the shops in this area
anymore. A quick google only comes up with spares and cookers. I'm not
going to get it fixed. Experience tells me once one part goes on
something this old the rest of it is not far behind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

BigWallop wrote:

Funny, but that's what I thought as well. It lasted 18 years, so it's a
good un'. I'd be looking for something exactly the same.

They'll have "improved" their range since then :-(

Indeed so. When I came to replace an aged fridge-freezer, to get
the same internal capacity, I had to go for bigger overall
dimensions, because the insulation nowadays is so much thicker.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.