Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing new castiron multifuel stove

Hi

Have just bought a new multifuel stove on ebay and essentially it
seems fine but definitely no frills at all - even down to no
assembly / installation instructions.

Proposing to use existing open coal fire flue [had it swept] blocking
off with masterboard and just poking a rear 5 inch horizontal flue
pipe through a sealed hole in the board.

Will I need any form of flue bend back of the board, within the old
hearth area after that ? - a bit confused 'cos intuitively one wants
to deflect it all upwards but I've seen other strong recommendations
to avoid bends in these flues and suppose all will rise anyway if the
flue is working OK Believe current building regs. really require a T
piece with one end capped but these alone seem to be £100++ and budget
is tight so would rather avoid.

Will I really need to put a mound of rubble into bottom of hearth and
cap it off with sloping mortar, as I've seen advised or can I just
leave it empty ?

Re future access to the flue for sweeping, it seems that would be
possible through the rear flue outlet but that's not a full 5 inch
diameter 'cos of the spigot bolting lugs cast into it - is this still
ok or should I make some little door[s] in the masterboard and seal/
screw them ?

Finally, the top flue outlet seems to come ready-fitted with a
blanking plate that obviously one transfers to the rear flue if using
the former - should I leave well alone or is it better to take it off
and put it back with aid of some fireproof sealant ?

Any constructive guidance would be very gratefully received !

Thanks

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 6 Nov, 09:31, David wrote:
Hi

Have just bought a new multifuel stove on ebay and essentially it
seems fine but definitely no frills at all - even down to no
assembly / installation instructions.

Proposing to use existing open coal fire flue [had it swept] blocking
off with masterboard and just poking a rear 5 inch horizontal flue
pipe through a sealed hole in the board.

I would seriously consider a proper flue liner whatever else you do

search in here for "effect of recessing stove" to save me typing it
all again!

happy to answer any queries

cheers
jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Nov, 11:47, jim wrote:
On 6 Nov, 09:31, David wrote:

Hi

Have just bought a new multifuel stove on ebay and essentially it
seems fine but definitely no frills at all - even down to no
assembly / installation instructions.

Proposing to use existing open coal fire flue [had it swept] blocking
off with masterboard and just poking a rear 5 inch horizontal flue
pipe through a sealed hole in the board.

I would seriously consider a proper flue liner whatever else you do

search in here for *"effect of recessing stove" to save me typing it
all again!

happy to answer any queries

cheers
jim

Many thanks indeed, Jim - will do that !

[Trying to avoid lining flue on budgetary grounds, but accept it might
be 'needs must.']

Thanks again

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Hi

Have just bought a new multifuel stove on ebay and essentially it
seems fine but definitely no frills at all - even down to no
assembly / installation instructions.

Proposing to use existing open coal fire flue [had it swept] blocking
off with masterboard and just poking a rear 5 inch horizontal flue
pipe through a sealed hole in the board.

Fairly sure that is totally illegal actually.

Need to line the flue.

Will I need any form of flue bend back of the board, within the old
hearth area after that ? - a bit confused 'cos intuitively one wants
to deflect it all upwards but I've seen other strong recommendations
to avoid bends in these flues and suppose all will rise anyway if the
flue is working OK Believe current building regs. really require a T
piece with one end capped but these alone seem to be £100++ and budget
is tight so would rather avoid.

Will I really need to put a mound of rubble into bottom of hearth and
cap it off with sloping mortar, as I've seen advised or can I just
leave it empty ?

Spend the money, get a proper flue insatalled, and forget everything else.

You will not be able to stop massive tar build up, nor will you be able
to sweep, an open flue chimney with a stove stuck in.

I would think your fire insurance will be void. I would hope so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
On 6 Nov, 11:47, jim wrote:
On 6 Nov, 09:31, David wrote:

Hi
Have just bought a new multifuel stove on ebay and essentially it
seems fine but definitely no frills at all - even down to no
assembly / installation instructions.
Proposing to use existing open coal fire flue [had it swept] blocking
off with masterboard and just poking a rear 5 inch horizontal flue
pipe through a sealed hole in the board.

I would seriously consider a proper flue liner whatever else you do

search in here for "effect of recessing stove" to save me typing it
all again!

happy to answer any queries

cheers
jim

Many thanks indeed, Jim - will do that !

[Trying to avoid lining flue on budgetary grounds, but accept it might
be 'needs must.']

To meet insurance, fire and building regulations you probably need a
grand of stainless steel flue.

But if you have a wood supply, it will pay for itself quickly.

Thanks again

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fairly sure that is totally illegal actually.

Installing a solid fuel appliance is "building work" within the scope
the scope of the building regulations.

You should be putting in a building notice to your local council, and
following the guidance of the approved docs.

All of which basically says liner of a type appropriate to solid fuel,
if the chimney isn't suitable as it is. Think $$$ if it's a Victorian
chimney that needs a solid fuel type, stainless steel liner
throughout.

However if a professional chimney sweep thinks your chimney is in good
condition and suitable as it is, then maybe leave it for this Winter -
but keep a very careful eye on soot buildup - particularly if you're
burning any old rubbish, rather than seasoned hardwood.

But consider the consequences of a significant fire, whether due to
the chimney or any other cause - and the possibility of voided
insurance cover - because your insurer *will* find out, if a claim is
made.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Nov, 19:02, " wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the practical guidance

D.

installing wood stove Kevin Home Repair 3 October 29th 08 02:54 AM
Installing A Stove Scott Home Repair 12 July 18th 08 12:13 PM
Tip: Plate for bottom of multifuel stove when burning logs David UK diy 1 February 6th 07 03:17 PM
Can we use multifuel stove with disconnected back b4oiler as a wood burner? moggies 13 UK diy 6 January 22nd 07 10:59 AM
Installing pellet stove into existing prefab wood stove chimney northcountry Home Repair 2 May 16th 05 03:53 PM