Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default O T - Where Can I Obtain ?

I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have
also searched other places and still can't find any.

I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in hte past when I have
put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't allow it to run
properly.

Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu successfully ?

Advice most welcomed

James

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very
good condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I
have also searched other places and still can't find any.

I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in hte past when
I have put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't
allow it to run properly.

Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu successfully ?

Advice most welcomed

Could you not just run the liveCD and see if there are any issues before
installation?

Tim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have
also searched other places and still can't find any.

I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in hte past when I
have put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't allow it
to run properly.

Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu successfully ?

Advice most welcomed

What do you actually mean by Windows 2000 software. Win 2000 will run
virtually anything that runs on Win 98 or Win XP.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in message
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have
also searched other places and still can't find any.

I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in hte past when I
have put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't allow it
to run properly.

Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu successfully ?

Advice most welcomed

What do you actually mean by Windows 2000 software. Win 2000 will run
virtually anything that runs on Win 98 or Win XP.

I think he wants the win2000 install disk, try asking on
uk.adverts.computer it should only cost a couple of £'s and some postage

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in message
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have
also searched other places and still can't find any.

Did you try really hard ?

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=windows%202000&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

Google "windows 2000 dell torrent" and find out how to download and burn
an ISO. Shouldn't be any problem installing it - you have a licence -
and *if* some idiot hasn't stuffed it with malware you should be OK.

Regarding Ubuntu, for that machine i'd look at www.xubuntu.org using the
XCFE desktop. Runs better on low memory machines with not much grunt, as
opposed to the main ubuntu distribution which is heavy with Gnome/KDE.
Be aware, if memory is restricted you may need to install in text mode
using the "alternative CD" instead of the Live one.

--
Adrian C
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

Google "windows 2000 dell torrent" and find out how to download and burn
an ISO. Shouldn't be any problem installing it - you have a licence - and
*if* some idiot hasn't stuffed it with malware you should be OK.

Regarding Ubuntu, for that machine i'd look at www.xubuntu.org using the
XCFE desktop. Runs better on low memory machines with not much grunt, as
opposed to the main ubuntu distribution which is heavy with Gnome/KDE. Be
aware, if memory is restricted you may need to install in text mode using
the "alternative CD" instead of the Live one.

Alternative to Ubuntu for an older machine is PClinuxOS 2007. I have just
installed it on a 500mhz machine and it runs a treat. Couldn't be more
pleased. Had a few problems but the folks on the PCLOS forum are superb.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember David Kennedy
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid saying
something like:

I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have
also searched other places and still can't find any.

Did you try really hard ?

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=windows%202000&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

Did you bother even looking at the link you posted?
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have
also searched other places and still can't find any.

I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in hte past when I have
put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't allow it to run
properly.

Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu successfully ?

Advice most welcomed

James

Debiaan seems to run on most stuff.
It may not be totally simple tho to install.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Standard Ubuntu seems fine on my Dimension 8400

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in message
I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very
good condition.

It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I
have also searched other places and still can't find any.

Did you try really hard ?

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=windows%202000&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

I would rather put a cop of WinME on than get fleeced.

I'll go for Ubuntu if I have to

James

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

et...

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=w...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

I would rather put a cop of WinME on than get fleeced.

I'll go for Ubuntu if I have to

James

If you have FTP, you can have a *******ised version of WinME from here
ftp://basecuritysystems.no-ip.biz Username = anonymous password =
password.

It installs itself with few prompts. Already has coding. Not an actual MS
OS, but works the same and gives loads of hardware drivers.

HTH

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"

davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message
et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
[...]

With the popularity of the WinME being downloaded from the server. Do you
all want me to leave it on there?

I thought it would only get one hit from Constructor, but it seems
everyone
wants a copy. :-)

I was going to say "Yes please" but it doesn't appear to still be there.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Keith W" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message
et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in
message
[...]

Ooops. Yes it is. I set up FileZilla wrongly. Ta very much BW.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Keith W" wrote in message

"Keith W" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message
et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in
message
[...]

Is everyone finished? I have taken the server off-line to make changes for
other things. Does anyone want it back up?

Let me know.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

om...

wrote in message et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
[...]

IO keep trying to hit it but it appears not to be there
James

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

. com...

wrote in message et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
[...]

If thats anything like the MS ME why is anyone bothering to download
such a dog of an OS?..

Its a bit outdated now but WIN 2000 PRO was about one of the best MS
ever did!...

But whatever you do don't go for the Vister clap;(...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"

davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message

et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
[...]

Do you want the server back on? If you want a copy, gives a shout and it
yours.

The server gets used for other file transfers, so it's not always open for
everyone. Just give me shout if you want it open.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message

et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in
message
[...]

A deafening silence BW. Perhaps, like me, the interested parties have
taken copies. Thanks for mine.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message

et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in
message
[...]

Yes please. Give me a time and date and I will endeavour to download
James

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

"BigWallop" wrote in message
.com...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message
et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
[...]

I have not been able to find a copy of Win2000Pro
James

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Keith W" wrote in message

snipped

The server gets used for other file transfers, so it's not always open

for
everyone. Just give me shout if you want it open.

A deafening silence BW. Perhaps, like me, the interested parties have
taken copies. Thanks for mine.

Keith W

I didn't think it would be a popular OS Package. It is not the full WinME
system, just a collection of bits that worked like WinME. But it works
anyway. It also updates from the MS network without problem, just accept
the cookie and it works. Enjoy . :-)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

snipped

The server gets used for other file transfers, so it's not always open

for
everyone. Just give me shout if you want it open.

Yes please. Give me a time and date and I will endeavour to download
James

Give the server a try. Login user = anonymous password = password

Enjoy.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

"BigWallop" wrote in message
a.com...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message
et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in
message
[...]

You'd better get in quick with this one on eBay then.
http://tinyurl.com/64ep5d

--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

"BigWallop" wrote in message
ia.com...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message
et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in
message
[...]

Sorry, spotted the word Office just after I had posted. I've put my
glasses on now.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

"BigWallop" wrote in message
dia.com...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

"David Kennedy"
davidkennedy@nospamformethanksverymuchyou*******s .invalid
wrote in message
et...
On 2/11/08 10:20, Keith W wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote in
message
[...]

This appears to be the real thing though, also eBay.
http://tinyurl.com/5hskl8
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"the_constructor" wrote in message
et...

snipped

The server gets used for other file transfers, so it's not always open

for
everyone. Just give me shout if you want it open.

Yes please. Give me a time and date and I will endeavour to download
James

Give the server a try. Login user = anonymous password = password

Enjoy.

I don't know if anyone tried the server and found it running very
sloooooooowwwww. That was my fault. I remotely told the PC's on the
network to go to Scandisk, but forgot that the server is also on that
network. It was trying its hardest to complete the scandisk job while still
trying to serve files to everyone.

I have slapped myself very hard for doing such a silly thing and have
learned a good sound lesson on network administration. The server is now
running at full tilt, so whomsoever wants a copy of the WinME files is
welcome. Login details are as in my last reply.

Sorry, again, to anyone / everyone who may have tried the server yesterday,
and failed.