DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wiring up bathroom fan heater (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/263271-wiring-up-bathroom-fan-heater.html)

[email protected] October 23rd 08 09:07 PM

wiring up bathroom fan heater

Is it OK to wire up a high level fan heater in a bathroom using 13A
flex inside a stud wall ? I intend to wire it via a pull switch on the
ceiling and have the flex come out the bottom of the other side of the
wall and simply plug it into a 13A socket, possibly via a RCD
adpater plug. This means that I wont have to bury any cables since the
socket is in a brick wall, I don't know if it would be ok to hard
wire to a double socket any way ( would it ?)

Simon

John Rumm October 23rd 08 09:40 PM

wrote:
Is it OK to wire up a high level fan heater in a bathroom using 13A
flex inside a stud wall ? I intend to wire it via a pull switch on the
ceiling and have the flex come out the bottom of the other side of the
wall and simply plug it into a 13A socket, possibly via a RCD
adpater plug. This means that I wont have to bury any cables since the
socket is in a brick wall, I don't know if it would be ok to hard
wire to a double socket any way ( would it ?)

The better way to do it would be to install a fused connection unit in
the bathroom that you can then connect it to.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

[email protected] October 24th 08 03:46 AM

On Oct 23, 9:07*pm, " wrote:
Is it OK to wire up a high level fan heater in a bathroom using 13A
flex inside a stud wall ?

as long as theres no thermal insulation in the wall, yes, and its on a
13A fuse.

I intend to wire it via a pull switch on the
ceiling and have the flex come out the bottom of the other side of the
wall and simply plug it into a 13A socket, possibly via a * RCD
adpater plug. This means that I wont have to bury any cables since the
socket is in a brick wall, *I don't know if it would be ok to hard
wire to a double socket any way *( would it ?)

ok if you use an FCU. The 17th edn means you'd need rcd cover on it
too.

NT